Santa Monica, Laguna, Hermosa....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only I could type it correctly the first time! Sorry everyone!

O.K. Fodorites...I have read everything you wonderful guys and gals have put out there, but now I need your help! DH, 2 boys (16 & 18) and I will be visiting the LA area for 5 days at the end of May (NOT Memorial Day!). DH has business in the Westwood area for 2 of the days, then we'll play. I had narrowed it down (thanks to you) to Loews in Santa Monica for the first few nights (relatively close to DH's business and sounds like fun for the boys), then Marriott at Laguna Cliffs for the last couple of nights (the scenery and a bit of a different experience). Then I found out we can get a nice corporate rate at the Beach House in Hermosa. So now what should we do? (I'd like to stay at all, but that's just not practical here!) DH is O.K. with the longer drive to the Westwood area from HB for a couple days (we're anticipating it to be 45 minutes), but is it worth it? We don't have any set itinerary. We may do a studio tour, we may not. We've not visited ths part of CA before....just driven through (ack!) from San Diego to San Francisco.

DH and I would love to visit the Getty, but not with the boys on this trip. We're more into the beach and exploring. Please help us decide how to allocate these 5 nights! Thanks a bunch!

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM

I will tell you living in the OC' (at the beach) I think your first plan is great. There's lots to do in and around loews in Santa Monica. The boys will love the beach. And I think you should stick with going to Laguna as well. Reason, there is much to see and lots of places to walk to around the area, it's very very safe, your boys could walk to the beach on the strip there, and I'm telling you, you have nothing to worry about. And if you're there for two days, you might want to look into going to the pageant of the masters in laguna with your husband, Its amazing. Laguna is full of art and a colorful city. The link below gives you a little info on the pageant of the masters, see that little art pic on the left side, a woman is looking at the pic', that's really real people posing as the photo, it's really something.

http://www.foapom.com/site/overview_pom.asp

Also in the heart of laguna beach, there is a huge basketball court (right on the beach) for the boys, many people play there, they just jump in. And one day you guys could take a drive to Newport Beach (it's about 20mins north along the beautiful coast) and hit fashion island (for shopping) , and then go to the balboa pier, and rent bikes for the day and take a bike ride along the 5 mile board walk in Newport beach, the boys will love that. It's a beautiful area.

I know you mentioned the Getty center, It's a great place to spend part of the day, and a great place to have lunch as well. Here this link will help you out as well.. on direction if you don't know how to get there, but basically it's right off the 405 fwy, 15 min (north) past LAX. http://anaheim.nyctourist.com/

Have a great trip. Loews is beautiful and in the prefect location as well. You'll be able to walk to most places.

: )
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM

Yes, the Beach House in Hermosa is worth the drive, as it's right on the Strand. My husband drove from MB to westside for years, and it took about 25 min., so your estimate of 45 is good from HB. There are short cuts so you don't have to take the freeway.

Lots for your teens to do with the bike path that connects the beach cities. I'm sure the hotel web site lists all the local activities.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Travelattorney45:

The Pagent sounds like something I would LOVE, but we're not going to be there at the right time (according to the website it's in July and Aug., we'll be there the end of May, beginning of June). Your comments on Laguna are appreciated, as well. The hotel we're looking at is the Marriott in Laguna Cliffs, not actually in Laguna Beach....do you know the property and have any feedback on it? Would the location work for the activities you mention? We could stay in Newport, if you think that might be the better choice. Someone suggested Huntington Beach to my DH, but that just didn't move me...the highway between me and the beachfront room at the Hyatt. Am I wrong?
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

MBnancy:

Many thanks! I've been cautioned that the traffic will be too much from the Beach House to Westwood, but I guess I'll leave that up to DH. Could you share one of the shortcuts you mention? We don't know the area at all and freeways always look to be the easiest, but saving time (and nerves!) is always a good idea.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Also, since DH will be working during those first couple days (and will have the rental car), does Hermosa offer enough for the boys to do or might Santa Monica be the better choice just for that reason? The urban feel doesn't appeal to me as much as HB, but maybe it's more practical?
Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM

I was going to mention that the Laguna Cliffs Marriott is actually in Dana Point but I see you are aware of that. I have stayed there. It's a great property in Dana Point. I would not hesitate to stay there again but it a short drive from Main Laguna Beach where all the action is. Heisler Park in Laguna Beach is really beautiful and one of my favorite spots in California. However Dana Point has great activies as well that your boys might like. The Dana Point Harbor is where you can book tours for whale watching or fishing trips. Although I suspect they might like the girls on the beach in Laguna better. Laguna Beach has a lot of activity. It's a real hopping place. Check out this website:
www.lagunabeach.com

I'll be in Laguna next week. Can't wait!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

annikany:

Thank you! In light of your info about Lauguna Beach proper, would you recommend we stay there, rather than the Mariott? If so, where would you suggest (the Sea 'n Sand is way to much $$$ and the Laguna Riveria is booked). We'd like to be on the beach (or have the best view of it we can) for $175-250 night.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Yes. I always stay at the Hotel Laguna. There rates are moderate and the hotel is historic. It's right in main beach where all the action is. They have their own web page. If you mention you would like the lagunabeach.com rate you will receive a 10% discount. We are paying $171 (Thurs) and $189. (Fri. and Sat.) for an ocean view room. It shows an ocean front room for $252.50 any night or ocean view for $243. any night from 5/14-9/02/08. Is that too high? We chose an ocean view room because we needed 2 double beds (we have a guest). I also see main beach view rooms for $207. any night. You might want to give them a call and see what type of room they might have available for your family.
www.hotellaguna.com

I am staying at the Hotel Laguna for 3 night next week and I'm trying a new place for 4 nights as well. It's called the SeaCliff Inn and I'll report back when I return. It's next door to the Surf and Sand.

I have also stayed at By The Sea Inn which is a short walk from main beach and close to Heisler Park. They had very reasonable rates and I would stay there again too. They also have their own website:
www.bytheseainn.
You will get the 10% discount at this hotel too if you mention you want the lagunabeach.com rate

It's hard to beat the location of the Hotel Laguna. However it's all valet parking and it probably cost about $20 a day. So make sure you consider that too.

Let me know if I can help any further.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Oh dang it, I didn't even look at the dates of the Pageant of the masters, sorry about that. The Marriott in Laguna cliffs, is more (south) closer to Dana Point, there is the Dana point harbor, however not as fun for the boys.. Yet, it is close enough to drive to the heart of Laguna. But it is... a beautiful hotel, I will say that. I'm just thinking out loud, on things to do around there.... if your boys are active, and want a little more freedom (that's not the one for them), I think that particular hotel would be nice just for you and your husband. Have you looked into the Surf and Sand hotel in Laguna Beach, nice hotel, nothing to stuffy, yet not to casual. And close enough where the boys could walk (a good little walk), but much closer to things to do and see.

Newport Beach is fabulous, yet most of the hotels there, (from what I got from your post, kind of on who you are, as you mentioned you're staying @ Loews Hotel' Which by the way is AMAZING)... most of the hotels that I think you would most appreciate are located in Fashion Island. Great location (islands hotel, which was the four seasons is up there), but not on the beach, however the boys, could take a taxi to the beach ( 1 mile), OH WAIT... look into the BALBOA BAY CLUB, in Newport beach.. right on the bay, (Okay that's it) prefect spot, wonderful hotel - they have a shuttle for the guys to go down to the beach... or they could walk, or swim across the bay to the ocean, and they can pick up a bike at the 15th street surf shop, and you wouldn't see them again for hours.. I really think you should look into that hotel. And if you pick that hotel, tell your boys to rent two bikes at the 15th street surf shop in Newport beach (but keep in mind, the bikes, are 100 years old, but that's the boardwalk look).lol.

I know the Hyatt in Huntington, it's a pretty hotel, but the location on PCH across from the beach, is yucky! There is a bridge to walk across to the beach, but I think if you're able to stay in another location, the Hyatt would not be my first choice, nor would staying in Hermosa beach. Huntington is very beachy.. If you end up staying in Newport, your boys could ride their bike on the board walk from Newport beach all the way to Huntington, and if there in their teens, trust me, you won't see them for hours with all the girls on the board walk as well.

I hope this long winded e-mail helped you....

Have fun! If I can help you out again, just post the question.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Yes, lots of traffic in the mornings, so you were right in being cautioned, but for a few days it might be worth it. Those of us who live in the beach towns would rather return to the ocean and casual lifestyle. You also should check out MB one afternoon. Great pier to walk out on, and many shops and restaurants, too.

The starting point of the shortcut is the corner of Highland Ave. and Rosecrans Ave. in Manhattan Beach. You continue north on Vista del Mar under the flight path of LAX, and get to see the ocean, coming and going.

In Playa del Rey, you turn the corner to the right and the road becomes Culver Blvd. Now, you can take Culver Blvd. until it runs into the 405, by passing the mess of the So Bay Curve on the 405, if you want to drive on the freeway to West wood. Or you can turn north on Centinela Ave. and continue that way. My husband took it to National Ave. for one job, and Olympic and the 405 for another.

How you get to the starting point from the Beach House would be Hermosa Ave to Manhattan Ave.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Travelattorney45:

Once again, thanks! Although the Surf & Sand and the Balboa Bay Club sound wonderful, they are out of our price range (for the purposes of this trip!). We can swing the Loews because those first couple nights are "on business". After that, we're looking at spending around $200-250/nt.

You're right on with the boys wanting (and needing) a little more freedom than it sounds like the Marriot may offer. So, if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to read them!

Just curious...you mention that you wouldn't recommend Hermosa Beach...why not? I'm really trying to get a handle on the nuances of these locales. : )
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

MBnancy:

Thank you (again!). I'll turn this info over to the DH. How long do you think this commute would actually take in the am (obviously it's for business, so it's going to be in rush hour!). And I've heard from some others that Hermosa may not be the best choice for us because of partying 20-something guys in the evenings. As I told another wonderful Fodorite, my older son may think it's heaven, having just competed his freshman year of college, but he's not "legal" (in the eyes of the law or his parents!) and he wouldn't be allowed to participate in any festivities, so should we avoid that area?

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM

You're very welcome. I say that about Hermosa becuase, it's closer to Santa Monica, (and having two boys, almost close to yours) santa Monica, has some area's that are not the safest in the evening to just walk around and sight see, and I don't know hermosa all the way, and being that you're staying at Loews in Santa monica alreay, I thought you would like to switch it up. (Not that all cities don't haev crime)... but if you have the oppertunity to pick and choose... (you know).

try the Marriott Newport Beach Bayview - I think the rooms, start at 150.00, not the great location, but you're a hop skip away from fashion island, and your boys could grab the shuttle to the beach? yet you are anbout 4 to 5 miles from the ocean.

Or there is the Marriott Newport Beach Hotel And Spa infashion island, I believe you might be able to get a room there, for the price you're looking for, and the location is great! And the boys, could get to the beach in no time. This hotel is located in fashion island.

Or Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach 2300 West Coast Highway, Newport Beach, CA (great location ) meaning, around so much, however it's on PCH, you'll be able to see the bay across the street. And the boys could get to the beach in no time, yet it's nothing fancy, but clean (i think, never stayed there, but when you look up the hill, wave, I'm in the homes above).

or the Little Inn by The Bay, Newport Beach
2627 Newport Blvd , Newport Beach, CA - never stayed there, but hear it's charming (have seen the front, when I'm on a bike ride, it's really cute), and this would be a prime location. As the boys and yourself, could walk around town, and the beach, to lido village, to the boardwalk, to the fun zone, to balboa island...

Then there's the Newport Beachwalk Hotel - right by the Pier, I'm not sure you would get much sleep being there are so many people around, but the boys would love it..LOL

I found this link, and looked up the places for you and made some comments on the ones, I thought maybe you would like to look into.

http://www.mytravelguide.com/hotels/...ITYHTL|7189101

When is your trip again... (month) hope this helped.

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Travelattorney45:

Our trip is the end of May/beginnning of June. You are absolutely correct...we'd like to mix it up a bit...if it works. So, it sounds like you'd recommend Newport instead of Laguna? How similar (or different) are they? And I grew up in Florida, now live in the midwest so I NEED to see water as much as I possibly can when we travel! We've spent time in San Diego and Central and Northern CA, but not here....and I think I'm going to really like it!!!!!

I had looked into the Marriotts in the Newport area at the beginning of all this, but they didn't seem to be close enough to the beach for me (that's how I came up with the Huntington Hyatt, but don't really like that choice, either :- (

I realize we're talking Bay, as well as beach here, but since I don't know it, how big is this bay?

I love this site, but now I'm overwhelmed.........LOL!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM

gtrgrl, I just saw your other post with the same questions. Too bad we can't keep all the answers in one place.

Since I don't know where your husband is driving to in Westwood, I can't guess how long it will take him. It took my husband 25 min. to the locations I gave you, from MB. The guess of 45 minutes should allow enough time.

My sons grew up at the beach and found plenty to do, and it's very safe area. I didn't have to think up things to keep them busy. Do your sons surf or boogie board, like to rollerblade or ride bikes, or shop for clothes at surf stores? Just a couple blocks up the hill on Pier Ave, is Becker's Surf Shop. My son worked there for several years, it's a popular place.
Let them go from HB pier to MB pier and just wander around. It's much more casual than Santa Monica.

Yes, there is a plaza at HB on Pier Ave. where bars and restaurants are full of the college age people on weekend nights. It's quite a scene, but that doesn't mean you have to plant yourselves there, nor will your son be allowed to drink. They are very strict about that. We like to grab a Starbucks coffee after dinner, and people watch sometimes.

http://www.kayethomassouthbayhomes.com/affiliates.asp

http://www.pubclub.com/losangeles/southbay.htm

Bring your flip flops and just relax!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM

I'm in agreement with MB Nancy.

I don't agree with the statement about Hermosa being unsafe, and I certainly wouldn't stay in Fashion Island if I wanted to stay near at the beach! Just what teenage boys want for the summer, to stay near a gigantic shopping mall!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM

No need to be rude, to the poster above me, I didn't say the boys would like fashion island, i said they can get to the beach, with a hop skip and a jump. I also said, that there are unsafe places in every city, so sorry if you live in hermose and were offended.

But moving forward and being the bigger person.

(below is a link of the Bay in Newport beach - see the homes in the back, in front of those homes, is the beach, the bay is pretty big in some area's).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebeck/52583487/ I have no idea whos photo this belongs too.

Here is the ferry that takes you across the bay to the beach/ocean from Balboa island, (the other enterance you can get to fashion island)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudewithcamera/1561672215/

More photos for you Newport beach
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr38/1628948249/

The Marriott in FASHION ISLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dedewarren/1371218859/

The boardwalk in Newport beach, and your boys could ride all the way to huntington beach. (again i have no idea who these people are..lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikejschindler/492095002/

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I don't live in Hermosa Beach, and I know both Hermosa Beach and Newport Beach quite well.

I don't think it's helpful to make recommendations if you aren't familiar with a place, just because it's near another place that might have some "unsafe" areas. Really, now.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 03:29 AM
jd

I've stayed at both the Beach House in Hermosa and the Loews in Santa Monica with teens.We actually checked out early at Loew's, we didn't like the "feel" of it there at all. Too noisy and the beach wasn't that nice. The only thing we liked there was the pool.
We loved the Beach house. The kids can rent rollerblades, bikes,boogie boards, ect. at a shop close by, and we loved being right on the strand.The pier area is very close with shops and restaurants, and we always felt safe there. The Beach house rate comes with a pretty good continental breakfast included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -