Santa Fe - Worth an extra day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to a conference in Santa Fe (hence no free time) in November and wondering whether to stay an extra day to see Santa Fe and the area. I enjoy hiking/skiing and seeing the landscape of the SW, and am not much into shopping. So, worth it to hang out an extra day in November? Suggestions for things to do in the outdoors? Or return in the summer?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:15 PM

I would stay another day. I loved Santa Fe and I am not in shopping either.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:20 PM

I was there last Feb. Other than shopping, my favorite trip was to Bandalier. It was the best part of the vacation.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:52 PM

I have been to Santa Fe on business. If your conference does not have enough free time built in for you to explore Santa Fe, I certainly think it is worth staying an extra day or more. Enjoy!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:17 AM

The suggestion for Bandelier National Monument was an excellent one. It will give you an insight into the early population of the area, as well as provide a great opportunity for a hike in the outdoors. We also drove up to Los Alamos, site of the building of the atomic bomb--a fascinating place. There is a great museum with photos of that unbelievable period of history right in the small downtown area and a scientifically-oriented museum that houses a replica of "Fat Boy' and other related letters and memorabilia. You can do both in one day with an early start. We were there in the spring, so I am not sure of the weather in November. Similarly, I would also recommend a trip to Taos on the High Road, but you would need a second day to do that.
This is an incredible area and well worth some extra time.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 08:25 AM

I'd add an extra day, too. I've been there twice at that time of year, and both times Sata Fe was cold, rainy, then turning to snowy. (That didn't stop us from having a nice time.) Bandelier was clear and comfortable. Be prepared with layers, including fleece and a good rain jacket.