Santa Fe, Taos suggestions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 08:11 AM
Super Dave

Hello Fodorites,

My wife and have decided on a 6 day trip to Santa Fe and Taos the first week in June. We are booked at the Pueblo Bonito B&B in Santa Fe and the Casa de las Chimeneas in Taos. Anyone have first hand experience with either B&B?

We are looking for any suggestions of what to do/see and what to skip. What can you suggest???

Thanks!
Super Dave

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 09:37 AM
chuck

Super Dave,

Can't help you with either of the places you're staying. But as to what's a "must" and what's a "pass" . . . My wife & I enjoyed Taos Pueblo, Bandolier National Monument (site of fairly extensive cliff dwellings flanking a beautiful valley), driving the loop North and clockwise from Taos (through Red River and Alpine forests) called the Enchanted Circle (I think), eating at Roberto's in Taos, the bridge over the huge Rio Grande Gorge just North of Taos. We also went to Abiquiu (spelling?), once the home of Georgia O'Keefe--the countryside was visually pleasing, but the museum is a little farther down the road (and was closed)--overall I don't think we would make the trip to Abiquiu again (although we are both admirers of the late Ms. O-Keefe).

Wow, it doesn't sound like we enjoyed Sante Fe at all, but we did. I think just walking around the town square, visiting the art galleries there (and on Canyon Rd), and seeing the beautiful expanse of country to the west of Sante Fe was wonderful. Lastly, we drove to Bandolier from Taos and stopped at a somewhat hard to find overlook (called, I believe, White Rock) that was accessed through a residential neighborhood. The view looking back east toward Sante Fe & the Sangre de Cristo Mountains was the best (of many) view we saw the whole week we were in New Mexico--White Rock is worth finding if you're in the neighborhood.

Have fun!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:12 AM
Beth

Do a search for Sante Fe or New Mexico. I found a lot of good advice here when I planned my trip a few years ago. I have a post of what we did then. It was one of our best vacations. Enjoy.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:07 PM
Lexma90

Super Dave -

I think the Pueblo Bonito is where we stayed in November; I'll try to confirm that. If it was, it's a nice place, within a block of the plaza, very nicely decorated with a courtyard that will probably be open when you're there. Big, delicious breakfasts.

If you're at all interested in pottery, particularly Santa Clara pottery (it's black and shiny, quite distinctive), you can make a trip to Santa Clara pueblo to buy direct from the artists. It's an experience to see the pueblo, though it looks like any other town in New Mexico, really, and to get the pottery from the source.

We visited Bandolier, and were surprised and how scenic and interesting the area was.

Feel free to e-mail me if you're looking for any restaurant advice.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:46 PM
Larry

Concur with previous comments. Bandelier Nat'l Monument worth a visit & take time to walk thru ruins area. Like a height challenge? Do the climb up to the Ceremonial Cave. Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is located on highway 64, northwest of Taos. Drop of over 600 ft to Rio Grande River at bottom of gorge. Drive along highway 64 from Taos to Chama very scenic. Also, white water rafting around Taos. A little extra time? Drive on to Chama & take the narrow gage steam railroad. Departs about 10:30 & takes most of the day but lots of fun and the most lovely scenery. A bit further southwest from Sante Fe, Chaco Canyon has the best Native American ruins and several very nice hikes.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:27 PM
Sal

Good suggestions.

Before you buy anything, visit the flea market adjacent to the opera (and definitely go to the opera if it's open for the season--great open air facility). The flea market is really more of an open-air market with lots of great things at much better prices than you'll find in town.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:49 PM
kerrie

My family stayed at Casa de las Chimeneas in Taos two years ago - it was
lovely! We enjoyed the hospitality and
great food at the Inn. The grounds were
beautiful (we were there for the spring blooms) and other guests were friendly.
My kids still recall how much they enjoyed our room - it was a library suite with a cozy fireplace and many
comforts. Both Santa Fe and Taos were
beautiful. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Peny

Dave,

My husband and I stayed at Pueblo Bonito about 3 years ago. Very southwestern. We enjoyed our stay. Great location, and the rooms and breakfast were nice.