Santa Fe over New Years?

Search

Santa Fe over New Years?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Fe over New Years?

We are road tripping from Texas to Denver over the holidays and considering a stopover in Santa Fe over New Year's Eve for a day or two. But now I'm wondering if such a short trip over a holiday when things are likely to be closed is worth it. Any input on things to do and see in Santa Fe during that time?

We've never been to Santa Fe and will be traveling with two kids, ages 6 and 3. It would add a few hours to our overall trip home, but I was thinking it'd be a nice alternative to a random roadside hotel. It would be another opportunity to play in the snow, see some scenery and explore a new city...

Any advice for me on what to expect in Santa Fe over New Years?

Many thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 09:18 AM

New Year's Eve should be mostly open but you may have to book a dinner at a ridiculous price.

The Plaza should be decorated from Xmas and looking nice. I doubt the businesses around downtown/Plaza would be all closed on 1/1/14 - unlike Xmas or turkey day, that's pretty commercial.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM

The Museums on Museum Hill are closed January 1. I can't tell if the the ones on the plaza are closed as well. I wouldn't be 100% sure that stores, galleries etc will be open. Things will be open on Dec 31st but again they could close early [shops, obviously not restaurants].

http://www.santafe.com/search/events...w%20years/P50/

http://santafe.org/Calendar/index.html
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM

I think that Santa Fe is the most unique looking city in America. I can picture walking around the Plaza and surrounding area and enjoying it even if everything is closed; then driving out of the city just to look at scenery or to a park where the kids can run around. I think it beats a roadside motel any day! So my vote would be to take the detour and see Santa Fe, because who knows when you'll be back that way again?
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:34 AM

I guess it also depends on what "a few hours" extra would mean.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM

I didn't realize you are driving Texas to Denver. That means you'll be on I25, so I am guessing you won't have to go out of your way.