Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara Quick Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
mksmither

Hi everyone- Just a few quick questions. We are traveling to Santa Barbara in a couple of weeks for several days and want to visit some wineries and Hearst Castle. Can someone answer the following:

--Is it possible to take the train from SB to Hearst Castle, or do you have to have a car?
--What are some good wineries to visit? We've been to Gainey, Bridlewood and Brophy and enjoyed all of them?
--Is is worth doing a boat trip out to the Channel Islands, even if we're not really interested in hiking, etc?
--What's your favorite gourmet restaurant in SB? Some of our faves we've been to include Downey's, Chad's, Sage & Onion and Brophy Bros. Any other thoughts??

Thanks for everyone's feedback in advance.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! You may also want to check out Arthur Earl for the Syrah there. It is located by several other places. Epiphany is another good one.

We really enjoyed Olie e Limone and the Wine Cask for nice dinners in SB and totally loved our lunch at The Patio at the Four Seasons Biltmore in Montecito. Have fun in Santa Barbara! ***kim***
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:20 PM

hello mk, i just got off the phone with a friend who has lived in sb for years.
she advises that you can take the train north but would then need transportation to the castle so might as well drive up?
for wineries she suggested latticia or firestone.
said they have had 20 foot seas and advises a trip to the channels at another time of year.
for dinner try el encantco (sp), louie's at the upham hotel, and said you must go to what she believes is now called sevilla (was casa de seville and is in same location) says it is very trendy, incredible food and reviewed as one of best new restaurants in the country.
have a great trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM

I recommend eating at the Bay Cafe. Delicious food and wonderful service.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
annieladd

-- wineries- we liked Zaca Mesa, La Fond, and Sanford quite a bit.

-- restaurants- we loved Mollies Trattoria in Montecito, wonderful pasta, though not luxurious by any means. We enjoyed Citronelle and Wine Cask as well. annieladd

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM

Wineries, I recommend Fess Parker! I must say I didn't care too much for the wine at Firestone.

Also, are you going to visit Solvang? It is a great little Danish village - they have shops, restaurants, wine tasting rooms, etc.. Loved Solvang!

8-)

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM

Oh, one last thing, isn't it like a 3 hour drive to Hearst Castle? If you do go, make sure you get tickets in advance if you can. We took tour 1, it was beautiful, but we drove and stopped on the way to Monterey...

8-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM

There are two awesome restaurants up the 101 from SB, the Hitchin Post in Buellton (love it, grilled meats, excellent wines by the glass, outstanding service and fun atmosphere. It was in the movie Sideways. Also, in Los Olivos, the Los Olivos Cafe has wonderful food and is really pleasant for liesurely lunch.

We like Curtis, a boutique winery of Firestone.

The Danish Pancake House, maybe Paula's? in Solvang on the highway, has the best pancakes I have ever had. Wonderful food.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM

I'll second the Los Olivos Cafe. Go for the braised lamb shank with a glass of Syrah and save room for the chocolate "scream" dessert. ***kim***
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:39 PM

Foley Estates just opened the new winery on the west side of the 101 on Rte 246 (near the Solvang cutoff). Must visit if you like pinot noir. The sauvignon blanc wasn't bad, either.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:08 AM
mksmither

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Also, does anyone have any tips about which tours to take at Hearst? It is the first visit for both of us. Thanks.

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM

When I went, they recommended the number 1 tour...it was great! Got to see much of the grounds, pool, inside rooms...loved it.

8-)
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Hearst Castle is a must over Channel Islands. For first timers, take tour 1. Get there early & stop in at Hitchin Post on the way back for a late dinner.