Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara Mini Trip Report (Harbor View Inn, Eladios)

Old Dec 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always wanted to stay at the Harbor View Inn in Santa Barbara and finally had the chance this week! This hotel is a favorite of several on these boards but I had always been a bit leery of it due to its location... almost right on the corner of lower State Street.. across from the pier.

Check in was a breeze, they were very helpful and always prepared to answer questions or to offer help, very friendly. The room was an ocean view with a balcony and one of the newer rooms Ive stayed in in Santa Barbara. The bedding is nice, sheets not so great.. actually kinda scratchy... a small couch and a chair for sitting. All in all, very well appointed...especially the bathroom! Great shower, beautiful tile, all very clean, large , separate soaking tub, never used it, but a nice amenity.

The noise was awful. We were on the second floor so my preference is to leave the slider open to hear the ovean and all we heard was traffic.(keep in mind we wre there during the week.) In the evenings, it was loud but once the sun came up and there was regular traffic, it was more than I would want to put up with again.

It is a convenient location to walk to the pier or on the beach or to grab the trolley to downtown but the whole ocean view thing is ruined by the street noise.

In comparison, I would definately return to Fess Parkers which is set further back from the street with only drive by traffic, no stoplight on the corner and virtually no foot traffic walking by. The rooms are not as new and since its such a huge hotel, not as intimate as the smaller hotel but the noise was just too much at the Harbor View.

Their restaurant Eladios was convenient and had a wonderful bartender... great coffee and Tangueray and Tonics! The food was so-so. Breakfast both mornings at my standby... Renauds. Quiche Lorraine, chocolate croissant and coffee is my perfect breakfast or lunch!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the info on Harbor View. Good info to know if one is sensitive to traffic noise (which I am!)
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

It may have been fine for one of the rooms in the back and not on the street... which then wouldnt have the ocean view. Hope that helps!
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 06:25 AM

So, how much did you have to pay for your sleepless nights in Santa Barbara? LOL Thanks for the thorough review-onemoneygirl.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the tip. We stayed at Fess Parker's and liked it a lot. Good to know about Harbor View noise. Not pleasant.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:55 PM

I knew that about the Harbor View and the noise. It is closer to Stern's Wharf however, if that is important. We much prefer the Fess Parker ocean view rooms, and also like to keep the sliders open when in our room.

Thanks for your report.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 08:18 AM

The noise thing is good to know, as it's a place I was considering.