Santa Barbara/El Capitan Canyon

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Jen

Santa Barbara/El Capitan Canyon

I am planning to spend a few days in Santa Barbara/Goleta California. I’m considering renting one of the cabins at El Capitan Canyon in Goleta. Can anyone tell me more about El Capitan Canyon? Their cabins look pretty nice on their web-site, but would like to hear someone’s first hand experience.

Also, can anyone tell me more about the area and offer suggestions for things to do? Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
x

The wine country outside of Santa Barbara is fun. There are wineries to visit, and there is a little town full of wine tasting rooms. Downtown SB is nice - state street & the pier. There is a nice Douglas park or something like that - sometimes hang gliders. You could take a boat out to the channel islands. The museum downtown is small but very nice.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Jen

Thank you for the reply. Is anybody familiar with El Capitan Canyon?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:41 PM
Mike

Yes. El Capitan Canyon is not actually in Santa Barbara, but is further up the coast. It is a very nice place though it can get crowded on weekends when day-trippers descend on the place.

If you are looking to enjoy the outdoors El Capitan in very nice. You can easily travel into wine country (San Ynez Valley) and the beach is close. However, if you want to spend your days in Santa Barbara, you might do better with a hotel in town.

Good luck

Old May 13th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Jen (or anyone else): did you end up going to El Capitan Canyon? If so which type of accomodation did you choose. We have a bunk cabin reserved for our family in September, and would love to hear any comments from people who have actually stayed/been there.
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Jen-I have not yet stayed at El Capital Canyon although did just get the brochure and it looks wonderful. I am also planning a SB trip which will include the wine country other folks have mentioned. I will also suggest you look at a tour of the Lotus Land Gardens in Montecito. This is a 37 acre preserve with docent led tours(about 2.5 hours and $15/person). You need reservations. Other accomodations we are considering include The Upham Hotel and Simpson House in downtown SB.