SANTA BARBARA ACCOMMODATION

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked at 4Seasons for 3 nights because of a great rate - $263/night......but I'm wondering - is the ambience 'stuffy' or 'snooty' because if it is, I'd rather stay at a warmer, friendlier but not quite so grand place. I'm not meaning to imply that just because it is beautiful it has to be snooty but I guess I need to have an idea of our comfort zone. anyway, if someone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to know!!
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM

That is probably one of the nicest places in SB, but its a beach town at heart. Probably more money stays there but it is also on eof the best locations in town. Get a bike and ride down the boardwalk to State St. if it is snooty. Loads of fun places there.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 11:04 AM

We had brunch at the 4S and the service was friendly and helpful. It didn't feel stuffy to me at all. Its so gorgeous, don't worry and just enjoy!
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 01:20 AM
hsv

In my experience (and I tend to share your preference in staying in nice, but "relaxed" places), the Biltmore in Santa Barbara is not snooty at all. Mind you, it is not one of the new hip design boutiques (Andaz style or similar), but old fashioned upscale California style. But it's good at that and I don't think there'd be a reason for being uncomfortable due to high-browed staff or similar.
It is SoCal, after all - everything is rather relaxed - and I agree that it quite likely is the best place to stay in Santa Barbara.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM

I wouldn't call the atmosphere "warm and friendly" as in B&B style, but it is not "grand" or "snooty" either. It sounds like just what you are looking for, I'd call it upscale-casual. Fans of pampering or folks who've enjoyed other Biltmore hotels might even complain that it is too California-aloof.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses, I'm just going to go for it - we'll have a wonderful time!