Reload this Page >

Sanibel vs. Kiawah - do they compare?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Jet

My family has been to Kiawah Island, SC several times and loves the laid-back atmosphere, the beauty of the island, and the low-rise condos that contribute to the non-touristy feel of the resort. We're considering a trip to Sanibel or Captiva this summer as an alternative and wonder if anyone can compare the two. If Kiawah is our ideal, how does Sanibel compare?

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 12:03 PM
cathy

I have not been to Kiawah Island but have been to Sanibel. From what I know of Kiawah (friends almost bought there) it is much nicer. I am not that keen on Sanibel. The beach is not silky sand but has shells and snake like things on it. It was very crowded in March and long lineups for restaurants. We went in November once. It was better. We have not been back,

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Carol

Just got back from a week stay in
Floria. We visted friends on the West
Coast and went by boat to Captiva and Sanabel. We loved it. Very laid back.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 01:38 PM
njgirl

We go to Sanibel every spring, the only thing besides seashells that we have seen on the sandy beaches-and that is of course,besides sunbathers-was a giant sea turtle that washed up once...the beaches are known all over the world for sea shells, the island is laid back, casual, a lot of families, not a lot of touristy honky tonk sort of places. Captiva is even more private with only a couple of hotels, the biggest difference in these islands is Sanibel is on the Gulf and Kiawah is on the ocean..my dad plays golf on Kiawah all the time, loves it, says there is nothing else to do but eat and play golf, which is to some guys, the definition of -heaven

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 01:41 PM
A.M.

I have been to both recently. I think if you enjoy Kiawah, you may enjoy Sanibel/Captiva. The latter is more well known and therefore depending on the time you visit does have more tourists. Another, totally laid back island, is Cumberland Island.
A.M.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Mike & Pam

Sanibel is very nice. Not crowded except at diner time when the nicer eateries are a little crowded. Can be a little warm in July and August but isn't that why you go to a beach. Very laid back. Great for riding a bike. Captiva is a lot more crowded and the ocean is much rougher. We go to Sanibel every Easter and Kiawah in the summer. Both are great!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Judy

Wsa just there last week for about the 5 th time, and I love Sanibel and Captiva. Kiawah seemed somewhat pretentious to me, but to each his own. Sanibel/Captiva are very tropical and have more of an "island" flavor IMO.
Judy