Sanibel or Key West

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 06:20 PM
linda from NJ

Sanibel or Key West

My husband and I are going to Ft. Lauderdale in May to visit Mom. We wanted to take a side trip for a few days and can't decide between Sanibel and Key West. Which one is closer to Ft.Lauderdale Sanibel or Key West and where do you recommend. We like relaxation, beach, snorekling and shopping.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Marlene

My family and I spent a week on Captiva (next to Sanibel) Island last June. I found it very relaxing but what I like most is that it was non-commercial. No Starbucks anywhere! The beach was fine(not Hawaii or Caribbean) but the water was very warm. I don't think you can snorkel there. The resturants were very good on both Islands. Shopping was limited to very local shops but that was fine for me. I've never been to Key West but I hear it's also a great choice. Good luck

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:16 AM
Karen

It really depends what you are looking for. Both places are great in their own way.Sanibel/Captiva is a more relaxed, family atmosphere. Some great restaurants, fantastic shelling along the beaches, miles of bike paths (on Sanibel). Think nature, quiet, relax. I was there in October and can't wait to return!

Key West is beautiful also. Some beautiful homes,tree-lined streets, b&bs but much more of a party atmosphere. The Duval crawl is famous... crawl along Duval street hitting all the bars ... crawl home. Not much of a beach to speak of in Key West, but nice sailing and snorkeling available. Also some great restaurants, sites, ets. I have spent several weekends there and enjoyed both the party scene and a fun, romantic weekend.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:29 AM
CMcDaniel

Linda, If beach is important to you, definitely head to Sanibel rather than the Keys. Beach is, for all intent and purpose, nonexistent in Key West. It's great fun there but if you enjoy long walks on the beach, shelling, swimming off your condo or hotel, Sanibel is the better choice. Sanibel will be considerably closer as well.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:45 AM
suz

I've never been to Key West but we were
in Sanible last Dec. for 9 days. Even though we had young children with us, it was still a great place for a couple by themselves. It is very low key but upscale. Beautiful scenery and good food.I've heard Key West is more active so you'll have to decide what type of trip you want. I highly recommend Sanibel or Captiva. Captiva is at the remote end but its worth going up there for dinner.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:10 PM
linda from NJ

Does anyone know how long of a drive it is from Ft. Lauderdale to Sanibel and to Key West?

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Linda McClave

We fly into Ft Lauderdale every September and drive down to Key West...it takes us approximately 4 hours (but that includes a stop for lunch).

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Donna

Go to Sanibel! So beautiful & wonderful shells and so quiet. If you want to party & be around lots of people head to Key West. I vote for Sanibel!

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Lori

We went to Sanibel last May and it was GREAT. The prices have dropped drastically, the crowds are gone, and the weather is wonderful in May. The locals claim that May and October are the best months to be on Sanibel.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 08:23 AM
BettyAnn

Allow 2 1/2 to 3 hours to drive from Ft Lauderdale to Sanibel.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Tanya

Key West is a great spot to visit for a few days but after that, you have seen it all. We recently spent a week there with friends, so we had plenty to do, ie boating, etc. There isn't a great beach and not a lot for young ones to do. It is a lovely drive down but I recommend you do it on a weekday and not on Saturday/Sunday when there is considerably more traffic.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Mike

To get the best of both world, what about combining Bahia Honda State Park and Key West? Bahia Honda is about 40 miles north of Key West and has the best beaches in the Keys, as well as daily snorkel trips to the Looe Key Marine Sanctuary, which is a stunning coral reef with many multi-coloured tropical fish. There are many places to stay in Marathon, which is about 10 miles from Bahia Honda. Then you can take a day trip to Key West to shop and stroll the beautiful streets. Make sure you get off Duval-just wander down side streets at random and you'll see lots of beauty. But don't stay in Key West-drive back to Marathon, as Key West is mighty pricey.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:31 AM
J T Kirk

In my opinion, Sanibel, though very pretty, is BORING after about a day. But if all you want is a great beach, that's your place. It's quiet there, and it is a wonderful beach.
Key West is much more fun. Grab a boat and some flippers and check out the reef. Head over to Turtle Krall's for a great lunch or dinner overlooking the water. Go to Pepe's with all the locals for breakfast. Enjoy a truly tropical climate. Check out the sights, which are numerous. Such as the dog who sits outside of Fast Buck Freddies wearing sunglasses and a hat. (Okay, it doesn't sound like much, but it's something you have to see.) Hope a boat, or plane, and head over to Fort Jefferson (talk about getting away from it all). And the sunsets. My, oh, my!!!!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:08 AM
SueT

Unless you're a hermit, I would suggest Key West!