Sanibel activities & dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Sanibel Island this weekend (4/26-29) with my girlfriend at the Sundial for 4 days, and just wondering what are some of the Musts to do there for day/night activities and eating...I've read the posts, but was hoping to get a more updated opinion.

Also, I will be without a car. I was told that it is $40 each way per family/couple for transportation to/from the island. Is there a better/cheaper way? Is it worth just renting a car?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:30 PM

I wouldn't travel to that area without a car. However, if you are not planing to leave the Island at all you can rent bikes to get around the Island. You will need a car if you want to venture into Ft. Myers or elsewhere. If you do rent a car, I would suggest going to Naples for the day. There are excellent restaurants and lots of good shopping. You might want to check out Ford/Edison summer homes in Fort Myers, also.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:05 PM
OliveOyl

I wouldn't go there without a car either. Everything on Sanibel is so spread out and you'll want to get out to Captiva as well. It's worth the bit more to just rent a car IMHO.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:12 PM

It's been years since I've been to Sanibel/Captiva, but I use to love to go to The Bubble Room & Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. Are these restaurants still operating?
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:13 PM

Just went to Sanibel in January. Do take a drive/bike/hike through the Ding Darling Bird Sanctuary. It's a beautiful respite from the tourists masses of Florida. Rent a kayak if you have time. (We didn't and were sorry). I agree about needing a car, unless you plan to nest at you hotel. The restaurants are all over. Our choice for food is Grandma Dots--a tip from a fellow Fodorite that was right on. Best food, although not great for atmosphere.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:00 PM

Just went to Sanibel in January. Do take a drive/bike/hike through the Ding Darling Bird Sanctuary. It's a beautiful respite from the tourists masses of Florida. Rent a kayak if you have time. (We didn't and were sorry). I agree about needing a car, unless you plan to nest at you hotel. The restaurants are all over. Our choice for food is Grandma Dots--a tip from a fellow Fodorite that was right on. Best food, although not great for atmosphere.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:20 AM

We go to Sanibel often and always rent a car. Sanibel is spread out plus you may want to visit Captiva Island. You can drive thru the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, the Bailey-Matthews shell museum is interesting, there are different shops & nice restaurants on both islands, and you can rent bicycles for the day or week. Those evening sunsets are beautiful. If you venture off the island the Ford-Edison Summer homes are close by. Sorry, if you're wanting "night life" activities I can't help you out there, we spend most of our time on the beach. Sanibel is very natural and beautiful, not your every day beach environment.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:43 AM

My family spent summer vacations in Sanibel and Captiva every year when I was growing up (two weeks every summer). You definitely will need a car if you want to explore the islands. Personally, I like Captiva better than Sanibel, but both islands are beautiful and relaxing. The Bubble Room is great for lunch or dinner, and the Mucky Duck is great for a casual lunch. Both restaurants are on Captiva, and have been there for as long as I can remember. Also consider getting out on the water, either renting a boat or going on a charter trip. Ding Darling is nice, too. Have fun!