SanFrancisco in August

Jun 23rd, 1997, 04:08 AM
Jim

SanFrancisco in August

We (late 20's) are going to San Fran for 4 days and then heading to Los Angeles. We need some ideas on what to see in those 4 days in San Fran. (ie. if you had to see certain sites, what would they be) and also, some reasonable hotels to stay at in the downtown area. Nice, but not too expensive.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Jun 24th, 1997, 09:17 AM
petrice

I live here in the Bay Area and there is so much to do in San Francisco, hard to limit it. But you have four days, so here's what I recommend: Day 1 San Francisco -Chinatown, North Beach (the Italian part of town), Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf. Day 2 (if you have a car) drive to the base of the Golden Gate bridge on the SF side to Fort Point, then drive across the bridge, visit Sausalito and Tiburon in Marin County. Also check out the Marin headlands (West side coming off the GG Bridge). Day 3 Sonoma or Napa Valley wine tasting (about 1 hour from SF). Day 4 Alcatraz tour (travel via Red and White ferries from Fisherman's Wharf). Also, Golden Gate park is great - several museums and the Japanese tea gardens. Re: a place to stay - try the Juliana Hotel on Bush Street. It's nice, not too expensive and centrally located. One more thing, in case you haven't heard, the summers in SF can be downright COLD. The fog really keeps things chilly right in the city (not so in Napa etc) so bring pants and a sweater or you'll end up buying some! Have fun and let me know if you want any other details.

Jun 26th, 1997, 05:10 PM
jack b.

for petrice, thanks for the San Francisco info. Wife and I are headed there the end of July for 4 nights in the city, 3 nights up at Jenner-by-the-Sea, and 3 nights at Yosemite. I was about to put a message on when I saw your response to Jim.

Jun 27th, 1997, 05:20 AM
Chris

Petrice's email is informative, My wife and I (both in out late 20's) both from NY, just returned on 6/25/97. We had a blast! You might want to try the "up and down club" its a pretty cool retsturant/bar, Mooses is a good resturant, Washington square bar & grill. San Fran is much like NYC, there is so much to do. We were never in SF and just went with the flow, walked and drove all over the city, spent little time at all the "tourist traps", i.e. pier 39, coit tower, fishmans warf. San Francisco offers sooooo much more than that, the architecture of the houses is amazing, the landscape is amazing. Golden Gate park is beatiful. I would suggest making some formal plans, but otherwise, do what you feel like doing, there is so much to see and do. If you want more specifics, just ask.

chris

Jun 28th, 1997, 05:53 PM
Brenda Dencer

Am going to SF 7/22 til ? I'm incredibly excited and anxious to plan. Love architecture, nature, walking. Pls. help me out. My first time there. Want to make some photos that I can blow up & frame. Plus, want some spiritual connections there thru solitude & nature. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Jun 30th, 1997, 04:55 PM
sharon

a very short drive over the Golden Gate Bridge into Marin Co. will take you to Muir Woods....any one looking for a spiritual experience should find it there in the prototype "forest primieval" among the gigantic redwoods.

Jul 8th, 1997, 10:18 AM
Jon

Best advice for four days in SF: don't rent a car. Buy a Muni pass, which permits unlimited rides on cable cars, buses and trolleys. Available at Tix Bay Area at Union Square or at kiosk at Market and Powell streets. One, three and seven day passes available.
Nice place for dinner: Garden Court at Sheraton Palace
Nice ambiance: Roxanne Cafe, Powell and Bush Streets
Cabaret show: Plush Room, York Hotel, 900 block Sutter Street
Steer clear of Fisherman's Wharf (except to go to Alcatraz). Homeless are tacky.
Gray Line has tours that include Alcatraz, Sausalito and Muir Woods in one package. Tickets to Alcatraz only can be reserved by phone 30 days ahead
Nice place to stay: Holiday Inn Union Square, $145 a night. Crack the window and hear the ding-ding of the cable cars.
Best homemade potato chips: Perry's in Pacific Heights
Best Italian: Fior d'Italia, Washington Square, around the corner from Moose's