Search

San Juan vs Olympic Nat Park

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2016, 02:15 PM
wug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Juan vs Olympic Nat Park

Sorry to double up on this question. I forgot to tag Washington State on my first one. Hi all, My husband and I are hoping to plan get to Washington next year to do some hiking and kayaking. We've never been before and are trying to decide between The San Juan Islands and Olympic National Park. It would be about a five day vacation. We'd love to maybe do a two-three day kayak trip with an outfitter and then do some hiking/SUP/rafting. I'm wondering which is the best area for this and also which is easiest to get to. It would probably be June/July timeframe or maybe the first of October. Thanks so much.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 02:49 PM

Obviously, the two destinations are very different from each other. I can't think of any places for rafting in either area. Olympic National Park is a wonderful place for hiking. In the San Juans, Orcas Island is perhaps the best for hiking.

When you say that this will be a 5 day vacation, are you saying you will fly in on day 1 and out on day 5 or 6? I'm asking because both places take time to get to. The San Juans are a bit more difficult logistically, as you have to drive to Anacortes and take a ferry from there, and same thing to get out. Anchorets is about a two plus hour drive from Seattle. And if you are going to do this, make sure you get ferry reservations. Olympic National Park is a drive from Seattle, but no ferries required. But there are no roads that cross the park - this is a wilderness park.

Traditionally, the driest months are July, August, September. October may be starting to get rainy and June will still be cool and likely, damp.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 03:31 PM
wug
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie, this is very helpful. I'll be looking into time to get to both and see what makes sense. We aren't sure the exact number of days yet but with the information you gave about times to get to places, it will probably be closer to 7 days.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 04:27 PM

www.takeaferry.com.

While it is possible...even preferable...to drive to ONP from the airport, there are a number of alternatives using the Washington State ferry system, but all of them require driving to or through Seattle.

http://www.airporter.com/

If you can't devote at least two full days (exclusive of travel time) to ONP, save it for another visit and go to the islands.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 04:56 PM

Check out Orcas Island. It has what you're looking for.