Search

san jose to yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san jose to yosemite

Hello all-

I have looked at some other posts recently to see if anyone else's question could help me but I think I need more specific guidance.

We're flying into San Jose on a Thursday morning, to attend a wedding near Yosemite at the Pine Resorts at Bass Lake. We have Friday and Saturday night already reserved at the lake.

My problem is this we need to know what would be the best use of our time Thursday, and Sunday. We will be flying back to NYC Monday afternoon, also out of San Jose.

Should we stick around San Jose proper on Thursday, and get up Friday and go to Yosemite for a light hik or picnic? And then Sunday, drive back to somewhere like Monterey and spend the day there so we will be close to the airport for the Monday flight. Or is there a better idea out there?

I'm not really familiar with the little towns along the way to Bass Lake from the San Jose airport, and don't want to miss any gems. We have already been to Monterey, Carmel, Point Lobos State Park, abd the Palo Alto area.

Can anyone help a confused New Yorker?

Many thanks!

Michelle

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:56 PM

We are from NY and we love Yosemite. I think you have too few days there if you spend all your time in Yosemite. Go to the Yosemite website. There is lots to do and see. I don't know what time you need to be at the airport on Monday, but you need to allow 5-6 hours to get to the airport comfortably on Monday. I might drive back Sunday evening. But I would definately go to Yosemite right from the flight on Thurs.IMHO
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:27 PM

What about Lake Tahoe? You could drive up there from San Jose on Thursday, spend the night, and then make your way down to Bass Lake on Friday. Lake Tahoe is about a 4 hour drive from San Jose. This would give more time in the mountains.

Another option would be to spend the night near Sonora in the Sierra foothills.

On Sunday night I'd want to stay close to the airport to avoid having to drive too much that day and worry about missing your flight due to traffic or something. Downtown San Jose has some interesting things, some nice hotels, and is close to the airport.

As for interesting gems between San Jose and Yosemite - there isn't much. You have the suburbs east and south of San Jose, then farmland and small towns. It doesn't really get interesting until you are on the other side of the valley and start heading into the mountains.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:10 PM

It is a 4 hour drive from San Jose to Yosemite Valley. Yosemite Valley is where the waterfalls and places like Half Dome and El Capitan are.

I would suggest driving into Yosemite on Thursday so you will have some time to see the park that evening and you will also have more time on Friday before you have to drive 70 miles to Bass Lake. On the way to Bass Lake you will pass by the Giant sequoias near the South Entrance of Yosemite.

Here's a link of things to see:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/inyose.htm

Here's a link to my pictures of Yosemite:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/death_valley_trip.htm

Yosemite deserves more than just a couple of hours.

Just a word of warning. When you do drive from San Jose to Yosemite on I-680 and I-580 the commute traffic on 580 starts as early as 3PM on weekdays and earlier on Friday!

Utahtea

Utahtea
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Good idea to drive to Yosemite when you arrive in San Jose on Thursday. As long as you leave the city by 3:30 or 4 PM, you should miss the commute traffic.

I would plan to spend Sunday night in San Jose before your flight. Driving back to SJ the day of the flight would be cutting it close, unless you were leaving late at night. The best time to leave Yosemite on Sunday would be before before lunch so that you can miss the typical Sunday traffic jams heading into SJ from other returning from weekend getaways.
J Correa is correct about staying in Downtown San Jose. It will put you within walking distance to restaurants, museums, etc and is close to the airport (about 3 miles.)
The following links will give you more information on the SJ area.

www.sjdowntown.com
www.sanjose.org
www.siliconvalley.citysearch.com