Notices

San Fransisco to Portland

Oct 15th, 2017, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

San Fransisco to Portland

We will arrive in San Francisco in mid May. I would appreciate advice on an itinerary for a 5-7 drive from San Francisco to Portland.

I would stay in Portland for 2 days then take train to Seattle. After 2 days in Seattle train to Vancouver

Thank you

Ian
Oct 15th, 2017, 05:59 AM

This is one possible route - https://goo.gl/maps/xSysoFrAcMS2

Follow CA Hwy 1 over the Golden Gate and stick to the coast all the way north to where CA 1 rejoins US 101 in the redwoods. See the main redwood groves, then follow US 101 all the way up the Oregon coast to Cape Disappointment at the (awesome) mouth of the Columbia River.

If the road is open and the weather's good, follow the north bank of the Columbia east to I-5 and continue east to the Johnston Ridge visitor center overlooking the Mt. St. Helens caldera. Then travel east to Hood River via the incomparable Columbia River Gorge. Visit the beautiful Hood River Valley in its spring finery, maybe visit historic Timberline Lodge on the side of Mt. Hood, then finish in Portland.

In mid-May you won't find it impossible to book accommodations except possibly on the Mendocino coast north of San Francisco, so how you allocate your 5-7 nights can be a choice you make. Google's drive times are fairly decent, but remember those are "wheels turning" times. In mid-May you'll have decent daylight hours, too.

Hope this helps.
Nov 27th, 2017, 09:27 PM

Depends on whether you want a leisure drive through some beautiful redwoods or straight shot up I-5 into Oregon. Gradyloo has a lovely itinerary. Is the 5-7 days just driving time or does that include your time in Seattle and Portland.

Search this Thread