Search

San Fransisco hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Fransisco hotel

Planning to be in San Fransisco in Sept. Apparently there is something big going on or major convention time. Hotels limited and very expensive. I have three choices right now - Francis Drake Union Square, Sheraton Fishermans Wharf, or Hyatt Embarcadero. I am leaning towards embarcadero location because it looks like a major place for public transportation and we hope to not have a car in the city. Please give your opinions as to location and public transportation. Is it necessary to have a car there. Parking is expensive as well. Thanks.
Happy travels!
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 12:49 PM

1. NO car, as you said $$$ and no need. Great public transit. Take BART from SFO or OAK.
2. Union Square is a great place for first timers. Hyatt is nice but just a bit removed [not by much] on Sundays. Saturdays it is very close to Ferry Building Market.
3. Any Kimpton branded hotel is my first choice, So Frances Drake is my #1 of the ones you listed; we stayed there in February. Great perks if you join their free loyalty program, "Karma"
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Hyatt is directly across the street from the subway entrance where you can get BOTH Bart and Muni trains. It is also directly across the street from the California Street cable car stop and about a block from the Ferry Building. It is a great hotel if you want to reach one from the airport using Bart for certain.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 01:31 PM

Agree about the location of the Hyatt for public transportation options (I work next door) - the entrance is not even across the street, just across the Hyatt's own driveway actually. I like the location also because its on the Embarcadero, which I think is a great place to walk (and lots of restaurants in walking distance). Union Square is also good, but the hotel itself isn't quite as close to BART/Muni as the Hyatt (about 4 blocks). Fisherman's Wharf is the worst of the three options from a public transportation standpoint, because getting there from the airport isn't easy.

So, for public transportation purposes, I'd say Hyatt, SFD, and Sheraton in that order, with the Sheraton being a distant third, and for location, any of the three.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 01:45 PM

I cannot argue with any of dukey's and sf's points.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 01:48 PM

I highly recommend these wonderful tours; we have done dozens of them. These are supported in part by the SF Public Library. The tours are done by volunteers who do this because of their love of the city and the tour topic. The tours are "free" but a donation is welcome [$10 per person is a nice amount, but something is better than nothing] A paid tour costs much more and you don't get the variety nor the enthusiasm as these guides give.

http://www.sfcityguides.org/
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 02:19 PM

Hotels can't be that limited if those are your three options, because they're all three very good. I like the Sir Francis Drake best because the building has character and I like a Union Square location.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 02:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Hyatt hands down . . . Amazing views. Right at BART, across the street rom the Ferry Bldg., walking distance to AT&T park,, on the California Street Cable Car line (much easier to get on then the Powell Street line, on the Embarcadero/trolleys/walking distance to the Exploratorium, Pier 39 etc.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 03:36 PM

Just a short block from the Hyatt you'll fine One Market, a very good restaurant.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I think I have ruled out fishermans wharf as a place to stay. Leaning towards Hyatt although initially I wanted to be at Union Square. Now I just have to make up my mind and plan what we want to see. I have been to SF before but it has been a LONG time ago and I am excited to go again. I think it will be like a "first time".
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Any other restaurant recommendations will be appreciated. I will check out One Market.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 05:43 AM

I have quite a few posts on restaurants, though a bit dated. One bid difference, for me, is that I am done with Chez Panisse.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...o-new-ones.cfm

check website for SF Chronicle -- sfgate.com for top 100 list.

Tadish Grill www.tadichgrill.com
Zuni Cafe www.zunicafe.com
E Tutto Qua www.etuttoqua.com
For Dim Sum - CityView in Chinatown http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/6/82569/...-San-Francisco

If you are willing to go a bit away from downtown, there are lots of good places in The Castro, The Mission and beyond.

It would help if you gave price for entree, and type of cuisine, fancy place or casual etc.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 05:48 AM

2 of my old trip reports- many if not all of the restaurants are still around:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...isco-style.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-francisco.cfm
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 09:29 AM

Another good spot for dim sum, and the favorite of our Chinese friends in SF: the Hong Kong Lounge, on Geary.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

DebitNM, will read all your reports and links. Thanks!
Underhill, love dim sum!
Is Mission Delores worth seeing?
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 06:41 PM

Mission Dolores is "worth seeing" for two main reasons: first, it's one of the two oldest buildings in San Francisco (the other is in the Presidio) and is an integral part of San Francisco's history. You can do a self-guided tour of the mission and the grounds--it will take less than half an hour. Second, it's on the edge of a vibrant SF neighborhood that many tourists don't visit but is one of the most interesting in the city. It's easy to get to from both Union Square and Embarcadero via MUNI (J-Church line). Great dining, murals, street life. Perhaps the polar opposite of the Fisherman's Wharf tourist mecca.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Aprillilacs I have it on my list!
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 09:27 PM

Perbacco is a great restaurant just up the street from Hyatt. Perry's also good and just down the street as well from Hyatt. It is in the Griffon HOtel. Charming boutique hotel 1 Market is pretty expensive for what you get IMHO. PLANT on the embarcadero is a great organic restaurant. Expensive but worth it is Boulevard also within walking distance to Hyatt.
Hyatt is a great choice and yes parking is outrageous but not as expensive as Chicago which was $69! If you can, just skip the car rental and use BART from airport, Muni for local transportation. Saturday market at the Ferry Blding is so fun to walk around,sample the goodies. easy to get anywhere from the Hyatt. Cable Car up California generally has no lines and is much easier to catch than the Powell Street Cable Car but Powell cable cars go all the way to the wharf but very long lines. $6.00 each way with NO transfer. Expensive but a must do.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 04:39 AM

Cable Car will be $7 effective July 1st.

The best option -besides walking- for getting around town is a day pass that is available for 1, 3 or seven CONSECUTIVE days. Unlimited rides on Muni, Muni Metro, historic streetcars, and cable cars [NOT on BART].

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around...tor-day-passes

I wouldn't suggest the Adult City Pass, not cost effective for most visitors.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you Shar and Debit for restaurant and transportation suggestions. Most helpful!