Reload this Page >

san franciso hotel debate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 10:19 PM
vicki robinson

Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt at Fishermans Wharf or the Juliana(sp?)
at Union Square-which area would be better?

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 06:54 AM
BayAreaAaron

I live in the Bay area and frequently visit San Francisco. We have stayed at the Mariott at Fisherman's wharf. Which area is best is subject to debate according to one's preferences. I prefer to stay at Fisherman's wharf.

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 08:05 AM
Chad Gaydos

We just returned from a long weekend in San Fran. I would not stay at the Warf. It is sheer madness. Too many people waliking over each other. Don't get me wrong, you have to go see the warf and sights near...but I wouldn't stay there. Stay at Union Square...we stayed at the Maxwell and were very pleased. I could give you many other suggestions on where to stay and eat. Give me an email if you would like. Chad

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 02:07 PM
Natasha Kadyk

I stayed in the Union Square area for 10 days last August. One person wrote that the fisherman's wharf was crazy, but downtown was nuts. Unless you like being harassed for money, followed to the corner drug store (or jack in the box) and being constantly bothered for money by panhandlers. I think I would have prefered not to stay in such a busy area- it gets to you after a while (hearing the garbage trucks etc). Both my husband and I feel we would have enjoyed our trip more if we had stayed elseware. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 02:10 PM
ray seva

I live 2-blocks from the Wharf. It's a great area for tourists (very safe, lots to do & see). I NEVER go down to Union Square at night (except during the Christmas Holidays, when everything is open/pretty/very crowded). Union Square is pretty close to the Tenderloin, home of many homeless/hookers/druggies.
If you've never been to SF, stay near the wharf. Besides...you're right on the water (SF Bay)

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 10:27 PM
Nicki

WE just got back from San Fransisco. WE stayed in the Union Square area. I agree, while it was an interesting area, I would stay at the Wharf and visit the Union Square area. Several days in the city can be too much. It would have been nice to be near the water and a territorial view. We found North Beach right next to the Wharf a very clean area and we felt safe. Be sure and take the Alcatraz trip. Get the audio tour for $11 per person. This will include your boat trip across. My sons loved it. The cable car ride will take you right down to the Union Square. You can branch out from there on buses to Haight Ashbury or just get a real feel for downtown San Fransisco. Good Luck!

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 09:23 AM
Keith Beer

I suppose that where you choose to stay should depend on what you enjoy. To me, Fishermans Wharf closely approximates a slightly cheesy amusement park filled with tourists. It is quite close to many nice neighborhoods like North Beach. And, the trolleys and street-cars run from the Wharf to town. I stayed in Nob Hill, at the Nob Hill Lambourne, and found that location great for its central location, and fairly safe and clean neighborhood. My only regret is that I didn't stay in a B&B in the very residential neighborhoods surrounding downtown. All of my visits to these neighborhoods confirmed my suspicion that the funnest places in San Francisco are where the locals live and hang out.

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 09:48 AM
kam

I think Union Square is just fine---Fishermans Wharf is OK too but better for kids. In North Beach, what about the Washington Square Hotel on--you've got it, Washington Square, a pretty little park in a nice neighborhood. It amazes me that people come to tour San Francisco and then complain because there are other tourists around!! I hope all of you will realize that our little city here is the top tourist destination in the U.S.--all of us and you in an area of 47 sq. miles!! How can you not expect it to be crowded?? I think that future travelers to SF either need to be prepared for the crowds or stay away until the off season and bring your raincoats! I hope everyone will think about this and enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 01:37 AM
SFSally

Kam:

Somewhere you happened to lose 2 sq. miles of San Francisco. The last time that I checked San Francisco occupied 49 sq. miles. Did you possibly sell those other two sq. wiles? In all seriousness, I also live in the SF area. In my opinion San Francisco is the greatest city in the world, hands down. I think that October is probably the best month to visit. The weather is pretty nice with less fog and fewer visitors.

My choice for hotel would be:

1. The Fairmont

2. Mark Hopkins

3. Marriott ( Fisherman's Wharf )

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 02:24 AM
Parrot Mom

Okay, you twisted my arm—the best little boutique hotel is the Andrews-on Post Street—it isn’t worthwhile staying on Fishermens Wharf—this hotel was just discovered by a travel magazine sadly....complete with continental breakfast on each floor and a wonderful staff.

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 10:24 PM
Rachel Ratliff

If you want to avoid touristy places, I agree with other postings that you should not stay either at the wharf or at Union Square - North Beach, Union Street (not Square) or Pacific Heights - these are nicer areas.

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 11:42 PM
Jparrent

I have stayed at the Juliana a number of times and it is very nice. It is part of the Kimpton chain which has a number of hotels in SF (and other cities like Seattle, LA, etc) and I like the Triton the best of the chain. It is sort of a spoof on deco whereas The Juliana is very "feminine". Both are well located but the Triton is right across from the Chinatown gate on Grant and it is in the "French Gulch", whereas the Julian sits on top of the Stockton tunnel on a hill so it is harder to walk to dinner, etc. However, when I have stayed at the Juliana with friends they say it is quieter. I like the breakfast options better at the Triton(the little French cafe-Cafe del la Presse next door with multiple foreign language magazines and newspapers vs kind of a continental breakfast setupin sort of a "grim" room at the Juliana) Also right next to the Triton is Le Centrale-which is a great bistro. Both hotels have valet parking but the Juliana is sloooow to get your car-their parking must be further-not an issue for most folks-but I come in on business and always have a rental car. Neither one has particularly large room-but both have free wine evenings in the lobby from 4-6PM or so!

The Monaco is the more expensive "sister" to the Juliana and the Triton, but it is on Geary pretty much where the tenderloin starts-so I like the location of the other two better for walking at night.
Anyway, there are 15-16 hotels in the chain in SF including the Tuscan at the wharf-which I don't know.

the 800 number for the Triton is:

800 433-6611

& the Juliana is: 800 328-3880

also the Vintage court is niceon Bush-also Kimpton
800-654-1100

I also don't like to stay at the Wharf-too amusement park like. Also, there are some nice spots further down the Embarcedro nearer Embarcadero center

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 07:27 AM
jparrent

Another thought is the Inn at the Opera-it is kind of a different area yet of SF close to the SOMA (south of Market area)

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 09:34 AM
Edward

I much prefer the Mark Hopkins on Nob Hill to either Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square. Actually I usually avoid the Wharf, it is touristy and tacky to the extreme. Union Square is fun to shop in, but cripes, someone needs to arrest those lousy panhandlers, they're scaring the tourists.

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 05:04 PM
ray seva

I live 2-blocks away from Pier 39/Fisherman's wharf...and 1-block away from all of the hotels.
These hotels aren't really in the middle of all of the cheesy stuff (the tacky strip is right on the waterfront...a block away.)
So if you stay in the hotels you can easily avoid the "cheese." Plus, it's pretty close to North Beach & Chinatown.
Yeah, the Fairmont & Mark Hopkins are beautiful. They're also pretty upscale & VERY expensive. If you love to travel in style, hang with the "older money" or business crowd...and if you can afford it, then you should DEFINITELY book at these two crown jewels of the SF hotel scene.
But if you have a family or are on a budget, trust me: The wharf hotels are pretty good (at about half the price.)
The boutique hotels everyone talks about are all pretty chute/charming. But again, check the price (and location).
Another big plus about staying at the wharf hotels: There's a Safeway supermarket a block away...you can really save money on meals by getting your meals here (they have a pretty decent hot/cold deli.) And there's always italian food in North Beach and Chinese food in C-town.
So...check you finances...and then make your choice.

--A regular "local guy" who used to come up here often as a tourist.