San Francisco Yes/No

Search

San Francisco Yes/No

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Yes/No

I'm thinking of taking my wife (40th birthday) along with two daughters (8 and 11) to San Francisco for a week in April. Good idea for a 40th. Is it a kid friendly place? Enough fun things to do for all? Know any good hotels (I'm interested in hotels of the three star variety). Any info would be of help. I'm creatively challenged..
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:38 PM

It's a kid friendly bordering on worship kind of place. Folks have made recommendations for various kind of hotels. Let us know what you want. I personally think it's a great place for a 40th..and there are places in the immediate area easily reached by car that make it both all the more kid friendly and a perfect place for a 40th. Let us know what you want.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:45 PM

I grew up in the East Bay and when I was a kid I LOVED going to SF. Things I thought were the most fun; cable cars, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, the Zoo, the Aquarium..... Now I live there and there's so much to do I can't imagine ever getting bored.

Read some of the SF threads for lots of great tips.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:11 PM

I really do not think of SF as a place that has a lot for kids to do. Also, the weather here can be cold and rainy during April. I think that in terms of weather and things to do for the kids, that Los Angeles or San Diego would be better. In the LA area you have Disneyland, California Adventure, and Universal Studios. In San Diego the zoo is one of the best and Seaworld is also a lot of fun.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Dan

We visited SF often when I was a kid and I always loved it. My parents found lots for us to do, from Chinatown to the Exploratorium (I think that's the name) to the wine country. Yes, my folks took me to Napa as a kid and I learned wine appreciation at an early age, even if I couldn't sample. (Drats!)

It's also very interesting to click on screen names of some SF posters and view their past posts. I notice a lot of the screen names that warn against SF or Union Square ONLY do such! Not a single positive post in the bunch.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:42 AM

I live just outside of SF and go there on a regular basis, however there is not a lot to do that would interest the kids. SF is more of a city for adults to enjoy. It will be too chilly to enjoy the beaches in April. San Diego would be my top choice for a kid friendly city and wonderful weather.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:17 PM

My family visited San Francisco when I was 10. I liked it so much that as soon as I was of age, I moved here.

I really liked seeing the ocean, kids from land locked states are awed by this. The Golden Gate bridge was like a dream, as was walking down near the marina, looking at all the boats.

I can also remember standing in line at at the Chocolate Shop at Ghiradelli Sq. to get a chocolate sundae, and seeing my sister's 5th Grade Teacher there! I also remember walking around in Sausalito, and Chinatown.

point being, there are Tons of things to do with kids in SF.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:26 PM

More kid things: The ferries, Pier 39, Alcatraz, the Japanese Tea Garden....

I don't get you people who think there's nothing for kids to do in SF.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Definitely take your kids! I am another one who went there as a 12-year-old (I am now 34) and it was such a wonderful trip. Alcatraz, the Art Museum, Chinatown, GG Bridge, Redwoods...you could even hop in a car and drive to Monterrey or Santa Cruz for the day where they can see tidepools on the beach and the aquarium in Monterrey which is fantastic. I don't understand the negative posters, either. I think it's a wonderful opportunity for your family. May I be so lucky to be part of a trip like this on my 40th!!!!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:40 PM

When I was a kid we would go to SF fairly frequently when visiting family in the Bay Area. I always had a great time - boat tours out on the bay, Angel Island, Alcatraz, the bridge, Golden Gate Park, riding the Cable Cars, wandering around Chinatown, the wharf area... I think SF is a great place to take kids.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM
SAB

I have lived in SF for many years and I too wondered how "kid friendly" it would be for my visiting 11 year old god daughter. What I realized was I was thinking only of commercial kid attractions i.e. amusement parks, and I was underestimating that children can enjoy many things that are not prepackaged for them. Watching my god daughter's joy at seeing the ocean, her glee on the cable cars, her wide eyed amazement at the shops in Chinatown, or fun we had watching the windsurfers at Chrissy Field changed my thinking. Kids appreciate a lot more than we/I expect.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Folks have given you some great ideas for things to do with kids in SF. Here are a few more or seconding of others:
the Mechanical Museum, The Exploratorium,Chinatown(there are restuarants that still have little booths),Chrissy Field-the wave organ,Fort Point, The Metreon(games galore and movies too),The Steinhart Aquarium, The Academy of Sciences, cable cars,Ghiradellie Chocolate Factory. If you will have a car check out Point Reyes National Seashore. There are great walks, beautiful vistas etc. Of particular interest to kids might be the Miwok Indian Village,the Lighthouse or Tomales Bluff walk where you can see Tule Elk. You might also check out Abbott's Lagoon which is a migratory waterfowl sanctuary(lots of pelicans) and a very east walk through pastures to the beach. Many folks bring kids on this walk and I have only ever seen a few kids refusing to walk the distance.(about 1.8 miles to the ocean beach).In the East Bay I would recommend the Cahbot Science and Space Center(Oakland).
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:52 AM

One of my favorite things to do in SF is take a day trip by ferry to Sausalito and Tiburon. Fun for all. There are also lots of other ferry trips. Here's a website that describes them http://www.baycrossings.com/Archives/2002/04_May/a_guide_to_san_francisco_bay_ferrys.htm
I do think SF is kid friendly but am I the only one wondering if it's a 40th b'day celebration for your wife, what would SHE like to do? Maybe a long weekend trip sans kids would be her choice? Have you asked her or is this a surprise?
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Oh yes the ferry...take it to Tiburon and eat at Sam's. Something for everyone ...full bar(I think), good burgers and other assorted foods. Besides which you can eat on the deck with a view of the Bay. The ferry to Angel Island is another possibility.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Absolutely bring the family, SF is fun for all. The Exploratorium is great, Golden Gate Park (aquarium, Japanese Tea Garden, planetarium, run around and play frisbee in the park, fly a kite, etc...), boat trip on the bay, Pier 39 (shopping, fun street performers, sea lions lolling about on the piers), cable cars, Chinatown, Ghiradelli Square, Cliff House.

IMO, Santa Cruz beach and boardwalk would be an awesome sidetrip. It should be warm enough to play on the beach and wear a swimsuit (water will be cold though) plus you can ride the amusement park rides, play skeetball and miniature golf, eat corn dogs, all kinds of fun stuff.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:22 AM

Kids will have fun in about any city but I would skip SF and try LA. You could take the Amtrack to San Diego for a day and go to the Zoo or Sea World. The weather will also be MUCH nicer!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:55 AM

I'm not sure what you consider kid friendly or why you think that SF wouldn't be. I quess it is going to rely on what your daughters enjoy doing. You have the Fisherman's Wharf area, Chinatown, the zoo, the cablecars, the ocean and the ferries (maybe to Sausilito?). I think you can find plenty there to enntertain your daughters as well as your wife. As far as hotels go, you best bet might be to stay in the Wharf area where there is a lot of things for the kids to enjoy. Most of the hotels in that area are chains that would be of the three star variety. Though I have never stayed there, I have heard that the Tuscan Inn is very nice, if you want to find someplace that is maybe a little more special for your wife's birthday. I am staying later this year at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero, which I got a great rate from priceline. I have heard that it is a pretty nice hotel and a great location, close to Chinatown and the wharf area and convenient to public transportation and the ferries, and a good alternative to staying in the wharf area
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 03:38 PM

The best kid friendly cities would be either LA or San Diego. SF really has does not have a lot for kids to do.

For one thing, it will most likely be raining most of the time in April which means that you will be stuck indoors most of the time.

In the LA area there's Disneyland, Universal Studios, California Adventure, Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood, etc.

Down in San Diego the zoo there will put the SF zoo to shame. Seaworld, Coronado Island, and La Jolla are also very nice. Taking the trolleys in San Diego is always a treat for the kids.

The best thing about Southern California is the great weather. During April it will probably be in the mid 70's during the day.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:22 PM

I feel that calnative is being very misleading by saying that it rains most of the time during April. The last time that I was in San Francisco was during March and the rainy season (the winter months) had already ended and we had really good weather the whole time we were there. As far as child friendly, I know that the southern California probably have more things to entertain a child, but I think that you can find plenty that they will enjoy in San Francisco. Not to mention the fact that you are going for your wife birthday, and as an adult, I don't think the other cities even compare.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:15 PM
SAB

Can anyone explain why when someone asks about SF some feel compelled to suggest that they go to LA or San Diego? If the poster had asked for kid friendly California cities suggestions I could understand this, but he specifically asked about SF. If I ask about NYC I don't expect to be told don't go there, go to Washington instead. Just puzzled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -