San Francisco with a Senior Citizen and child

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking my mother to SF in mid-Dec. She can get around well, but needs to avoid over exertion. Any suggestions for sight seeing or tours that would encompas a lot, but with limited walking. Also, I was thinking about taking my eight year old daughter along. Is SF a decent tourest location for kids. Any suggestions for activities would accommodate three generations?
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:05 AM

We went to San Fran in April with 3 teens. Loved it! I would highly recommend renting a car.

Two really great things we did.
In the city of San Fran, there is a 49 Mile Scenic Drive which is completely within the city. You can get a map at your hotel, and there are signs that you follow past beautiful vistas & landmarks. The beauty of it is that if your passengers want to stop, so be it.
We did part one day, and part another day. We found it accidentally!

There is even a guide book you can order: "Laurel Rosen is a San Francisco native and co-authored a guidebook on the 49-Mile Scenic Drive with Joseph M. Lubow. She says the drive was developed by the downtown association as a tool to promote San Francisco during the 1939 World’s Fair that was held on Treasure Island."

The other thing is the 17 mile drive which hugs the Pacific Coastline. Gorgeous. Starts at Pacific Grove, passes famous golf courses &
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Sorry, accidentally hit send!

cont'd.

17 Mile Drive - admission 8.25 per car
Passes famous mansions of rich & famous. Ends around Carmel - beautiful town with pretty downtown with shops & boutiques. The drive takes about 45 minutes.

You can stop at the famous Pebble Beach Golf Course - it is public, and have lunch overlooking the 18th hole. It is beautiful.

Here is a link with info:
http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?id=1373

I just remembered that I think it is maybe an hour or two drive from SF, so perhaps not for you. We drove it, then stayed overnight in Monterey.

Also, a classic, go for a ride on the Trolley...

have fun!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Trolley or cable cars? Just riding one of the trolleys is nothing special--however, be aware that sometimes the lines to get on one of the cable cars can require lengthy waits. Probably not in December, though.

All of you would probably enjoy a brief walk through Chinatown, with lunch there.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM

>>I just remembered that I think it is maybe an hour or two drive from SF, so perhaps not for you.<<

2 1/4 hrs to Monterey on weekends, 3+ hours during commute hours.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Oakland museum is great for any age, very close to a BART station, has a cafeteria and benches to rest.

SF Zoo close to the last stop of L metro line.

Metreon (Yerba Buena gardens) has now 3-D movies which you watch through special glasses.

SF ballet Nutcraker should be on in December.

Also check Cirque du Soleil website, they are usually in the city in Nov-Dec.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:42 PM

My crew - including both senior citizens and kids - enjoyed the trolley car museum (free), as well as the riding the trolley. There are sea lions at Slip K, down and the marina - Very close and lots of fun. There's an aquarium and boat tours of the bay that wouldn't require too much walking. We did the allaboutchinatown.com tour and dim sum, which was fantastic although others rave about the walking tour offered by the library.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM

printable discount coupons for SF attractions:

www.sfbayfun.com/coupons.html