Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco/Wine Country at the end of May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Laney

How is the weather the last weekend in May? I've never been to Northern California/Napa/Sonoma and don't know much about it. Is May/June a good time to go? Any advice is appreciated!
Also...any advice on cheap airline tickets from New Orleans?

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Susan

May/June is a lovely time in the wine country/SF bay area. You may encounter a few days of showers but generally it is in the 70s and sunny. The Apple Blossom Festival in Sebastopol (Sonoma County - the Gravenstein capital of the world) is the last weekend of April so you may want to come a little earlier. It's a charming small town festival.

I can't advise on how to get a cheap fare from NO but it might help to know you can as easily get to SF and the wine country from Oakland Airport as you can from SFO.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 08:17 AM
kal

Laney,
Since May is Mrs Kal's "b'day month", we have found the Napa/Sonoma Valleys a nice short hop for a special day or two.

Weather has been nice enough to go on some nice bicycle rides through the vineyards. Some hot air balloon rides are have started up by then too.

If you go then, you may get crowded out if it's over Memorial Day weekend. The main roads get busy with all of us tourists!
Here's a good site we use:
http://www.napavalleyonline.com/

As for air fare from NOLA, you may try Priceline or other like services? It may be cheaper to fly into either Oakland or Sacramento vs SF and then rent a car to drive down. San Jose may be too far south to save you time/money.
Safe travels,
Kal

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 01:34 PM
kam

Try SWA through Phoenix to Oakland.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Susan

SWA also flies nonstop from MSY to Oakland. I just got an internet fare of $270.