Reload this Page >

San Francisco Union Square Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:17 PM
Tmmy

I am traveling to San Francisco and want an inexpensive Union Square hotel that is safe and convenient for my family. I have narrowed my choices to: Pickwick, King George, and Commodore. Anyone stayed there? Which of the three is the best choice?

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:59 AM
BJ

Can't help you with your 3 choices (we are day trippers).
Sorry if add to your confusion by adding a 4th for your consideration, but this one got a very nice review recently.
Can't vouch that the prices listed on the website below are absolutely current.

http://www.cornellhotel.com/

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 04:55 AM
Tammy

Thanks BJ! I know you haven't stayed at any of the hotels, but have you seen them? Are they in decent or seedy areas? Look interesting or just run-down?

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 01:19 PM
Parrot Mom

Haven't stayed at those hotels, but at the Andrews two blocks west of Union Square....it is a little boutique hotel and difficult at times to get in.. it's an old fashioned little place, but it beats the big places..

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 08:06 PM
grant

Tammy,
I do not want to confuse thing's for you even more, however last year we stayed at the Villa Florence, just feet off the suare across from Macy's and all the other attractions we only paid about $60 a night, great spot and a nice small and very friendly hotel, there is a management hosted wine tasting / freebie every night, where you get a couple of glasses of wine or beer or nice Italian mineral water, attached to the hotel was an excellent Italian restaurant and there is also an a fabulous little coffee shop full of locals getting their caffine fix. the rooms are nice with lovely toiletries a little small, but try to remember you are only about ten yards away fom the Westin st francis, sorry again to confuse you but we enjoyed san francisco and the villa florence good spot nice hotel.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 09:30 PM
Tammy

Thanks for the suggestions! ParrotMom- Andrews is booked!

Grant-the Villa Florence sounded nice, so I checked it out. The rooms are just over $200 a night. Looks like it's gone up a little. I'd like to stay closer to the century mark $. Any other suggestions?

And did either of you guys see the three hotels I listed while you were there? I keep hearing about the seedy "Tenderloin" and want to make sure I'm looking in a good area.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Bert

Tammy,
I stayed at the Andrews Hotel earlier this year and I agree with ParrotMom that it's a very nice little hotel with great rates. It's just a block or so away from Union Square. One of the nice little touches is that it offers a free glass of wine in the early evening for all the guests. A delicious breakfast is included in the price and it is served just outside your room.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 11:39 AM
Jeff

We stayed at the Hotel Diva a few years back. It is a block or so off of Union Square. Safe enough to walk around at night. There were a number of homeless that stayed in and around this area (including some who slept in Union Square). Most mind their own business, but one was particularly beligerent, so exercise reasonable cautiont. Hotel Diva is not per se inexpensive, but the cheapest hotel we found for the location. At the time it was $120-135ish a night. Neat hotel. Kind of industrial -- lots of stainless steel, w/ a European feel. Our taxi from the airport took us through the tenderloin late at night and I was very glad we were as close as we were to Union Square.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 12:53 PM
BJ

Tammy, sorry I can't help with the hotels or their locations. Unfortunately, I pay little attention to them because we just go for dinner and a show, or Golden Gate Park, etc.
However, to help you a bit, here's a website which is a map of San Francisco. Read the instructions, it is clickable (able to zero in on neighborhoods). I sure hope it helps.

http://www.sanfranciscoonline.com/bcg/map/SF_Map.html

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 01:18 PM
BJ

Tammy, here's a review of the Pickwick which they say is about $150/night.
The King George is 160-175 so unless you are able to get any of these hotels at your desired $100 via a discounted hotel reservations website, they seem to be above your range.

http://www.sanfranciscovisitor.com/pickwickhotel.html

Do you know anyone who is a AAA (auto club) member? If so, ask them to get a copy of the current California/Nevada tour book guide which is free to them. You will find it very useful.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Ruth

I stayed at the Chancellor a number of years ago and it was fine. Great location right on Union Square and across from a cable car stop. Repectable if small rooms. I remember having to wait for the elevator but that was about my only complaint. I think it still gets a pretty decent rating from AAA. I think it's probably a good choice for the money.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Parrot Mom

Glad you got in..now I can tell you..that every morning outside on your floor is a huge buffet including muffins, scones, bagels, croissants, orange juice, fresh fruit, tea, coffee, jams and cream cheese not to mention hot chocolate.. Downstairs at 5:00 p.m. in Fino there you can get your choice of (out of a small selection) of wine...and there is afixed price menu for guests staying in the hotel.. and if reservations are booked...have supper at the bar...the bartenders are delightful....we were there exactly one year ago. If you write me I'll tell you of another restaurant find where we were taken by a native..right in Union Square.. When we came back for the second year..we found a lovely note from the management welcoming us back and a chocolate..

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Lorna

My husband and I stayed at the Allison Hotel in March. It was a bed and breakfast place only a couple of blocks north of Union Square. It cost us $55 dollars a night with a huge self service breakfast. It was clean safe and the staff were really friendly. We would do there again. By the way we booked via the internet and had a $10 reduction.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 05:18 PM
yasha

Have stayed at King George and the Pickwick, and would definitely opt for the Pickwick. Rooms are larger, cleaner and more comnfortable. Location is terrific, too - walk to all sorts of things and public transport is very close as well.