Notices

San Francisco TR 9/24-10/1

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
maj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco TR 9/24-10/1

We enjoyed a great week in San Francisco. We had already done a lot of the tourist type things a couple of years ago, so this trip was aimed at some things we had missed/wanted to do and to spend some time with DS who moved there about 3 years ago. Visiting museums, shopping and fine dining aren’t DH’s favorite pastimes (more into nature, national parks etc.), but that is one of the things we love about San Francisco – the area can appeal to many different interests. I’ll try not to go into too much detail since most of what we did has been discussed here before, but I want to thank people who gave us advice on Ano Nuevo (still can’t get that ~ above the n, but we decided not to go there this time – ended up seeing elephant seals at Pt. Reyes), coastal trail, Pt. Reyes, Stu Dudley (still using some of your driving directions and walks), and Angel Island (kind of wish we had fit that in since reading about the fires there now), etc.

We arrived at SFO around 11am, bought muni passport and transportation map in the baggage area at the information stand. We didn’t see it last visit and the one by Delta was closed, but if you walk a little further there was another one open. From our experiences I highly recommend you get them at the airport if possible. Got our rental car and drove down to Redwood City area for lunch with DS. Then on to Half Moon Bay and drove up Highway 1 to Great Highway (per SD south of the city drive) stopping quite a few places for pictures. We stayed at Columbus Motor Inn (stayed at Cow Hollow last time) – I really like these accommodations and probably prefer Columbus for the location.
Next day to Mama’s for breakfast (really enjoyed this – waited about a half hour in line). We wandered around North Beach for a while then caught the 39 to Coit Tower. We really wanted to see the parrots and they were perched in the trees in the back of the Tower. Real close and personal. That was actually the only time we saw them. We walked down Filbert Steps to Levi’s Plaza and the Embarcadero (around Pier 19). Took a nearly empty F streetcar to Ferry Bldg and wandered around there for a while. Caught an extremely crowded one back toward FW. Wandered around Pier 39, saw the sea lions, then caught the cable car at the Mason turntable for a short ride back to our room. That’s the nice thing about the passport – you can hop off and on transportation for short trips and not worry about the cost. Met DS at OReilley’s, then to Beach Blanket Babylon. We all enjoyed it. Wandered around North Beach at night.

Friday, we took 30 (right outside our door) to Union Square area, then 38L (I think) Geary to Sutro Baths and beginning of Coastal Trail. Loved it – walked down to One Mile Beach and up the sand ladder at Baker’s Beach. Caught the 28 at Vista Point, then transferred to 30 to FW. Had clam chowder at Boudin’s. Rested then walked down and ate at In N Out. It was dark by now and the cable car wasn’t crowded at Hyde so we rode it up to the turnaround and took the Mason one back to our hotel.

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
maj
Original Poster

Picked up DS in Novato then on to Pt. Reyes on Saturday. Watched the seals by the lighthouse, walked down to lighthouse, saw elephant seals at Chimney Rock trailhead, went to Drake’s Beach, saw elk at Tomales Bay and drove up 1 to see Bodega Bay. Just a note, on the way back – there is nothing quite as eerie as driving over the GGB at night while it is enveloped in fog.

Breakfast at Pat’s Cafe next AM then DH went up to Marin County for a day of golf with DS which left me to do what I wanted in the city. I walked up Hyde from FW to Union (great place to spend a Sunday afternoon) and ended up on Chestnut (one of SD’s walks). Caught the 30 (love those passports) to Ghiardelli’s for a hot fudge sundae (still the best I have ever tasted – even better than the one in Ghiardelli”s in Chicago IMO). Watched the street performers at FW and wandered around North Beach for a while. We both had a great day.

Monday morning took the 9am San Francisco Electric Tour Co. segway tour. Loved it! It is not something you would want to do though to take the place of a city tour. You go in a very limited area (after the training time you only have about an hour or so for the actual tour). It was a really fun thing to do and our guide was great. We then hopped on a cable car to the museum (FYI – the weekend is not a good time to ride the cable cars. There were unbelievable lines every time we went by them). We went to the museum on recommendations, but weren’t really excited about it. We ended up really enjoying it and would now recommend it to others also. We then walked up a very steep hill to California Street by Grace Cathedral and the Fairmont Hotel. Caught the California cable car and rode the route. Got off at the Embarcadero and caught another extremely crowded F streetcar to FW. Took 39 again to Coit Tower and walked down the Greenwich steps. Then took a nearly empty F line back to the end of the line again. I don’t think you would want to count on either those or the cable cars for transportation if you are on a time schedule.

Last day, drove to GGB at Vista Point and walked the trail there to the overlook to Crissy Beach. Drove to Lou’s for breakfast then wandered around Cliff House and Ocean Beach area. Drove to Sunset District, took picture of Craigslist building (everyone here uses it) and walked up the mosaic stairway to the top of Turtle Hill. Fantastic views. Drove through GGP and did a driving tour (instead of walking) of the Haight. Went to Marin Headlands, Rodeo Beach, lighthouse (saw the harbor seals) and of course stopped at all the different overlooks. Left the next AM. What a great area – still more to see and explore so I guess we’ll have to come back. Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Hello maj, I so enjoyed reading about your time in SF and the surrounding areas.

A question. How did you like O'Reilley's on Green St., in NorthBeach and what did you eat? I use go to the same location a lot when it was an Italian restaurant but haven't been since it became O'Reilleys. Thank you!
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 09:17 AM
maj
Original Poster

We went to O'Reilly's twice -- with somewhat different experiences. The first time was on a Thursday for a quick bite before going to Beach Blanket Babylon right down the street. I just had the soup of the day (can't remember the name) which was delicious. DH and DS had cheeseburgers and fries which they thought were really good. We sat outside and it was really pleasant, lots of activity and people passing by (probably because of the show). The restaurant was full by the time we left.

We ended up going back the night before we left, mainly because we couldn't decide on another one (DH likes plain food -- plain American style steaks,etc.) DS and I wanted to go to Mona Lisa, but DH wasn't thrilled about the menu and DS had time constraints so we decided to go back there because we had liked it so well. It was a Tuesday night this time. We sat outside again, but there was much less activity in North Beach and several panhandlers stopped by the table while we were there. DH had steak which he said was very good, DS had another cheeseburger and I had their fish special. We have a few Irish pub style places here and I would say it ranked about the same. Food was good, service was good -- really don't have any complaints. It's not a have to go there type place -- but we were satisfied with it.

Plan to go back with DD and explore the parts of SF that don't interest DH -- museums, restaurants, wine country etc. at some point. Like I said, there is something for everybody there -- what a great place to live!
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks maj. I had heard they serve a lambstew (I love lamb) so might try it one of these days. I am sorry about the panhandlers, they get so annoying, especially when one is trying to eat. BTW, I love the MonaLisa and everybody I have taken there has also so maybe when you come back to SF you can go there. Best regards.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
maj
Original Poster

No need to apologize for panhandlers. We have them here also. In fact, that was the only time I really noticed them. When we were there Thursday I didn't notice them at all -- guess they had more lucrative places to go then since the crowds were definitely larger.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Maj, I was just reading your SF TR and am so pleased you had a great week in our town. I love the way you just hop on and off the different cable and F cars. I love those F cars. I try to take them for a few blocks when I go to the Tuesday Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building. I will then ride it back Market Street to 2nd - then walk a few blocks back to my office with fresh produce for the evening's supper.

LoveItaly, I first read your posts in the France (Paris) threads. I look forward to meeting you next week!
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Framboise, I look forward to meeting you also! We will have quite a large group but a wonderful interesting and fun group! I hope the restaurant owners can survive us, lol.

Maj, sometime when you are in SF if you want to meet other Fodorite's from SF and the surrounding locations let us know!
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 05:45 AM
maj
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly. Hopefully it will be sooner than two years before I get back there again. Delta used to have cheap, last minute weekend rates to SFO, but I haven't seen any for the last couple of years. I really enjoy the reports and pictures of your GTGs. Have a good time next week.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Thank you maj, it will be a wonderful evening I am sure, being with those that have been at SF GTG's in the past and meeting those that have not been to past SF GTG's.
Quite the largest group of Fodorite's I believe that have ever been together in SF.

Regarding your next trip, I have no idea where you live but can you fly Southwest or BlueJet? They often have low airfares. In any case, I hope you can come back to SF when it works out for you!