San Francisco to Seattle

Apr 3rd, 2018, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

San Francisco to Seattle

First time on here..We are flying into San Francisco (early September) and driving directly to Mendicino for an overnight maybe two days. then continuing on up Rt 1 along the coast. After that, we thought we'd continue on up Rt 1
We are open to all suggestions. We want to see the redwoods, the ocean vistas, art galleries and little towns..also suggestions as to where we might stay.
and fly home from Seattle on the 9th day.

We have heard that the Oregon coast is very beautiful...More suggestions ..please.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 05:51 PM

If you feel you must do it as a one way trip, consider flying to Portland or Seattle and driving US 101 and California route 1 southbound. Be sure to know in advance how much the one way drop fee is.
I like the southbound trip better mainly for the right turns toward the ocean and a right turn back onto the highway.
Towns to stay or visit on the Oregon coast include Cannon Beach (Haystack Rock). Tillamook (cheese factory), Newport (Oregon Coast Aquarium), Reedsport (Oregon Dunes to the north, elk 5 miles east on 38)
Coos Bay and Brookings. One thing in northern California that might interest you is the "Trees of Mystery". They do have a gondola ride up to the top for a good view of some great Coast Redwoods.
With 9 days, you should be able to make the trip a round trip returning to your start point using I-5 and I-80.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 06:41 PM

North of Leggett (just north of Mendocino/Ft Bragg) there is no Highway 1 so you will be on 101 after that.

One night in Mendocino makes no sense since from SFO up Hwy 1 will take you at least 5.5 to 6 hours without any stops . . . and there are PLENTY of places to stop.

So 2 nights in Mendocino area, one night near Trinidad, then maybe 3 nights along the Oregon coast then . . . Do you want any time IN Portland or Seattle -- if so that totally fills your 9 days?

In te Mendocino area consider here: https://www.littleriverinn.com
Apr 4th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Agreed, it depends on what kind of pace you're comfortable with. I personally don't mind a fairly fast-paced road trip, but recognize that this is one of the most rewarding parts of North America for visitors, so it's always a case of deciding what you can afford to miss among many worthwhile alternatives.

Here's a map showing the route I'd take in September: https://goo.gl/maps/jpJWD5m73to

This would entail your stop in Mendocino, one in the redwood country (Trinidad is fine, or you could choose Ferndale, a pretty village with cool Victorian architecture, south of Eureka) and two on the Oregon coast. You'd then swing inland and visit Timberline Lodge on the slopes of Mount Hood, then down the beautiful Hood River Valley (probably full of orchard and vineyard harvests) to Hood River. From Hood River you'd head west through the Columbia River Gorge to Portland, then up to Seattle.

Here's an imaginary schedule (overnight points listed.)

1. Mendocino
2. Mendocino
3. Ferndale/Trinidad
4. Bandon, OR
5. Yachats ("ya-hots") OR
6. Hood River
7. Portland
8. Seattle
9. Seattle
Apr 4th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Gardyloo's plan is pretty much what I was visualizing. No time for Portland really but unless that is a must you really have a good itinerary right there.
Apr 4th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Gardyloo's plan, as always, works great. As long as you don't need much time in either Portland or Seattle.

But if you aren't all that interested in time in the city of Seattle, why not just fly home out of Portland instead? Add another day to the coast or to Portland. Cut some driving time. Save Seattle for a separate trip.
Apr 4th, 2018, 06:07 PM

I prefer flying in/out of PDX to flying in/out of SEA (done both). Can you make the trip a loop with the time you have? There is plenty to see and do in Oregon besides the coast.
Apr 6th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all this wonderful information/direction..Portland is not a MUST. and the itinerary you provided
seems to be something we will follow. You have mentioned many of the towns we've read about that have peeked
our curiosity. Thank you.

Search this Thread