San Francisco to Big Sur

Search

San Francisco to Big Sur

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 06:37 AM
lee

San Francisco to Big Sur

Hi!
We are planning on spending a few days in San Francisco in September and then would like to take a few little side trips. My question is - how long would it take to get to Big Sur? Is it possible to do in a day trip (returning to SF?). What are some "must sees" on the way down to Big Sur? If it's not possible to do in a day, where would you recommend stopping? (Reasonable price range inns). My next question... if we head north for a day too, what are some "must sees"? Thank-you!

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 08:57 AM
kam

Lee, I suppose it's possible but you'd be crazy to do it as a daytrip. It'll take about 2 1/2 hours to get to Monterey/Carmel and then you'll want to see those towns as well as stop at Pt. Lobos State Park before starting down Big Sur (probably another 2-3 hours). Depending on the weather and the crowds and which day of the week, it takes 3-4 hours to drive Big Sur. You end up in Cambria which is a nice town to overnight. Many small hotels along Moonstone Beach. Hearst Castle is here. Do a search for "Big Sur" and "Cambria"--there's a lot of info on this board. North there are all the towns in Sonoma coast and Mendocino Coast, but be sure to leave time for the city itself. There's a lot to see/do in SF.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:14 AM
Robin

Yes, kam speaks the truth! Don't be misled by the actual mileage-- it's a slow trip, not to mention breathtakingly beuatiful! More time is definitely better than less.

FYI, simply driving along Highway 1 is nice, but it's actually tough to see a lot from the road, especially if you're doing the driving. There are numerous side roads that take you to short hikes to the beach. They are not well-marked, so check a book such as Hidden California for directions. This will greatly enhance your experience.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 04:58 AM
lee

Thanks for the tips. We probably will stay overnight then. Any suggestions on places to stay in Cambria?

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 08:12 AM
kam

Anywhere on Moonstone Beach. There's a BW Fireside Inn that was pretty good. If you wanted a B&B the J. Patrick House is nice but is back from the ocean. The ones along Moonstone Beach are a bit upscale motel design but the beach is lovely to walk on. Book dinner at the Sow's Ear.Enjoy.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 07:30 PM
Robin

For John...