Reload this Page >

San Francisco/S. Cal Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Cheryl

Just returned from a 10 day trip to San Francisco, Yosemite, Monterey. I truly appreciate the information I got on this forum it helped alot. Stayed at the Donatello in SF. Very reasonable, big rooms, refrig, microwave coffeepot for just around $100 per night. Great location by Union Square. In Yosemite, stayed at the Yosemite View Inn, great place had a room on the creek with rushing water, we had little racoons playing on the rocks below our room. Had dinner at Awahanee. Great service, biked in the park, took the typical tours and enjoyed it very much. Went to Monterey and spent half a day at the aquairium. My daughter loved it. Thanks for the suggestions, it helped make the trip.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:05 PM
kam

Thanks, Cheryl. It's so nice to hear a good report about our part of the world. The aquarium is really pretty special, isn't it? My nieces just visited--aged 16, 13, 11, and were totally blown away by it.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 04:48 PM
don

Cheryl, I am thinking of doing pretty much the same trip next spring, possibly adding Lake Tahoe also. What were your views of San Francisco? It seems that there are certain people on this forum who are always bashing it. I was also thinking of staying at Yosemite View, did you find it convenient to seeing the park? How far to Awahanee? Did you spend a night in the Monterey area? If so, where? It's great finding someone with a such recent visit. Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Cammie

Cheryl, thanks for that report. I might be going in Sept or Oct with a very fussy Husband.. I would like to budget about 125-150 night for San Fran hotel. Was there anything negative about the San Remo? Is it a European boutique type hotel or just a basic room? thanks

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Elaine

We are making the trip in September. How long and how the drive from San Francisco to Yosemite? We are staying in a cabin in Yosemite West. Any suggestions on where to stop on the trip from SF to Yosemite for groceries, etc.?

Thanks

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Merrie

Cheryl,
The Donatello has a restaurant called Zingari, did you have a meal there? We stayed at the Pan Pacific last time in S.F., loved it, but noticed the Donatello and wondered why it gets so little press. Tell us about any restaurants you liked on your trip. Thanks.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Dennis

We visit San Francisco for pleasure at least once a year, and usually stay at the fun and funky Triton Hotel, which is on Grant Street right at the gate to Chinatown. It's only a few blocks to Union Square, and a longish walk north to the good restuarants of North Beach.
Good deals on the Triton can be had from some of the discount hotel room web sites.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:32 PM
martha

Cheryl,I'm amazed to see that you got a room at the Donatello for $100/nite. How did you secure that price....who did you go through?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:56 PM
jbj

The AAA rate and the internet discount rate on their website is $117 per night.

www.thedonatello.com