Reload this Page >

San Francisco Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 12:47 PM
ms

My daughter, husband & I will be in San Francisco for a long weekend and we are looking for a moderately priced (good) restaurant in the Nob Hill area? Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a "must go to" restaurant within walking distance to Nob Hill.

Thanks for your help.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 11:49 AM
kam

You will be close to the California St. cable car (the less crowded route) and so can conveniently get to Chinatown or the Financial District as well. And, I suppose since you have a daughter with you, depending on her age, you can also take the CA street car over to Van Ness where the Hard Rock Cafe is at Sacramento and Van Ness--not a recommendation, but thought I should mention it.Most of the Nob Hill places are quite expensive but Crustacean is a trendy seafood one at Polk and California sts. and everyone loves the Nob Hill Cafe--tiny but very reasonable bistro style on Taylor between Sacramento and Clay in the middle of Nob Hill.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 12:00 PM
tweedy

A couple more suggestions are Union St., where there are several good restaurants that are reasonable and really good food, of all kinds.

I really enjoy the Embarcadero, just a short ride on the Cable Car, straight down California St., get off at Market St. There is an excellent seafood restaurant there.

I am sure you know about Ghiradelli (spelling, just ate the last candy bar) Square and there are a few good restaurants there as well (ok so it's touristy, but that is not always bad)

Have a great trip, I will be there in a week and looking forward to my trip too.

tweedy

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 01:20 PM
kam

Think Tweedy might mean the Tadich Grill which is a famous old fish restaurant on California St. near Market. Some might say the service is a bit standoffish, but it's nothing like some of the old NYC restaurants. Great petrale sole, bloody marys and rice pudding! Also in the neighborhood is Sol y Luna, a Spanish tapas restaurant with great paella for dinner, Flamenco dancers some nights and huge paellas--enough for 2-3 people. It's on Sacramento Stree near Battery--reserve. And, many people say Yank Sing has the best dim sum in SF. If you've never had good dim sum and you don't speak Chinese, this is your surest bet. Have some Peking duck and those irresistible custard tarts for dessert. You MUST reserve well ahead and it's only for lunch. It's on Battery also about 4 blocks from the California St. car. Finally, the London Wine Bar on California is good for wine and light lunches/snacks. Recognize that many of the restaurants down here cater to the office crowds/business travelers and might be closed on Sunday.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 06:35 PM
Bob

Nob Hill is an easy walk to Union Square and there are several excellent restaurants I would recommend in that area. First is Spago, which is in the lobby of a hotel (i forget the name). Another really good, but equally expensive, restaurant is Farrallon (recently featured on dining in style). But, it sounds like Spago would be a perfect place for what you're looking for.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 07:35 PM
kam

Bob, think you mean Postrio rather than Spago, but it's another Wolfgang Puck's restaurant. It's in the Prescott Hotel on Post Street near Mason. We recently had a very disappointing dinner at Farallon with terrible service. It's quite expensive and a great disappointment if it doesn't live up to what you expect. We had eaten there before and were with another couple who also have eaten there quite often. All were disappointed. So, my best advice would be, go to Farallon for a drink before dinner in the lovely Pat Kuleto designed bar, but then go elsewhere for dinner.