Reload this Page >

San Francisco Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 11:07 AM
missy

My husband and I will be in S.F. in late June. We are from NYC and we are looking for some really fabulous restaurants. We enjoy sushi, italian, american, and fine dining. What would be your two recommendations. Prefer not to wear a jacket etc...

Old May 23rd, 2001, 11:09 AM
L

Plouf for lunch - french seafood bistro. And Swan Oyster Depot (go at 11:20 a.m.) - on a stool with white by the glass. You will not be disappointed by either. Ciao.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:18 PM
sharon

Missy,
I have spent a great deal of time rating SF restaurants in the rant and rave section, as have a few other locals. I encourage you to take a look at those.

That said, if you are into fine dining, here are my top fine dining recommendations in order of preference:

1. Campton Place
2. La Folie
3. One Market (atmosphere is not as elegant, is a bit more trendy, but still fine dining by California standards)
4. Masa's
5. Ritz Carlton Dining Room
6. Fringale
7. Fifth Floor
8. Hawthorne Lane
9. Jardinière

Honorable mention:
Restaurant Gary Danko
Charles (on Nob Hill)
(I have not yet been to either, but trusted sources say they are wonderful)

Favorite Italian:
* Rose Pistola
* L'Osteria del Forno

Favorite Sushi:
* Sushi Groove

Favorite casual, yet wonderful:
* Pastis
* MC2

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:21 PM
sharon

Oh, and I forgot 2 other casual, yet wonderful:
* Restaurant Lulu
* Zuni Cafe (I love this one!)

If you have the opportunity to go the the East Bay, there are more fine dining options:

Chez Panisse, etc...

This is my favorite link for Restaurant ratings:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../06/FD100Z.DTL

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:28 PM
SFBoy

As one who has dined all over SF, I can confirm many of Sharon's choices - these are first rate: Campton Place, La Folie, Fringale, Ritz DR - and the two Italian places and Pastis are good. Based on meals and friends, I would skip Masa's french cuisine unless you wish to spend $500 plus (for less money in NYC you can do better, and actually La Folie is a much better deal). Above all else, dining at Hawthorne Lane is just asking for PROBLEMS (problems in their kitchen, wait staff, the original chefs split up, and it's very expensive). Many like Zuni Cafe, a stand-by. And Plouf recommended above is excellent, for lunch especially. Enjoy SF.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:34 PM
kam

Have hear that Masa's is much improved. They hired the chef from Charles Nob Hill and have redecorated and changed the menu. Haven't been yet.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:38 PM
Felix Riter

You can enjoy SF, even coming from Manhattan, if you are careful. The SF Zagat's is unreliable in part because it raves about places like Hawthorne Lane and Boulevard, both of which are ordinary but crowded and costly. I must tell you that Hawthorne is ok sometime, not so ok others. Friends recently had a bad meal there, and the HL front desk management was not all all sympathetic with the problems they had. I did read one of the owners left to start a new place elsewhere in the Bay area. I do agree that Lulu is terrific - you'll find it near Moscone Center, and it's a good place for lunch. We try to arrive a bit early to avoid the crowds. Have a fun time in a wonderful city.

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:45 PM
sharon

Ooops. Almost forgot...

Favorite Thai and Vietnamese...

Malee (Cow Hollow) on Lombard