San Francisco Question - BART

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to SF for work next week. I was amazed to see that BART goes to the SFO airport. I never knew that. I used to take Lorrie's or Super Shuttle instead. I thought BART was only for going to the suburbs. So, my questions are - how long has there been a BART station at the airport? Is it right there at the airport, or a bit of a walk? I assume you can still buy fare cards in the stations, right? If I need to get from SFO to Steiner and Lombard in the Marina district, can I do that fairly easily on BART and MUNI? Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Hi roothy, BART to and from SFO has been running about three years? Yes, you can still get your ticket at any BART station. Here is the website for SFO: www.flysfo.com Read the info on the AirTrain that will get you to BART. About getting to the Marina, I will leave that up to someone like Faina who is the expert on the SF Muni public transportation system.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Make sure you also purchase the BART pass. They're available for 1-day, 3-day or 7-day purchase. If you're going to be taking the bus to work from your hotel and possibly see the sights, it's the best bargin. I was just there in August and saved a ton of money by purchasing the pass. It was good on the bus, street car, train and CABLE CAR. (This is the only pass that includes the cable cars and saves you $5 per trip.)

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:32 AM
SAB

roothy-- Since you know about BART and MUNI I assume that you have realized that the pass that AZ is refering to is NOT a BART pass--it is a MUNI pass.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM

LOL L'Italy, now I have to live up to your expectations!

AZ, there is NO such thing as BART pass. You're confusing it with MUNI - another 4-letter word

Roothy: if you're arriving to the international terminal, BART stop is right there. If any other terminal, there is a connecting AirTrain running back and forth, free. You pay at the actual BART station.

Steiner and Lombard are far away from any BART station. If you were here before, you remember the old stations along Market street - they haven't added any new ones!

How much luggage will you have? How easy is it for you to take a bus? It's doable, but is it worth the hassle? Don't know. When I come home, I just take the first available shuttle door-to-door.

Going back to the airport, I recommend Bay Shuttle, they always have discounts and internet specials.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't keep it once I was finished with it. (That was over a month ago! I'm lucky I remember what I had for breakfast today.)

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Here is a reply from an official working at Bart concerning my question if there were Bart passes?

"There are no such passes. All fares are based on distance traveled and are applied per trip. You can see where our senior green discounts are sold at www.bart.gov/tickets/ticket sales/retail sales (and choose a city)."