San Francisco - necessary to rent a car?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:05 AM
kp

San Francisco - necessary to rent a car?

Thinking of going to San Francisco for 4-5 days and wondered if a rental car is really necessary. Want to see the main attractions--Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz, etc. Some vacation companies (Expedia, for example) sell guided city tours or day trips to Yosemite and other sites.

Would cabs &/or cable cars provide enough other transportation for exploring on our own and finding restaurants? Thanks.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Traveling man

Not necessary to rent a car. Most residents of SF don't have cars. The public transport is easy to use, the city is small so cabs are fairly reasonable, and the cable cars are part of the whole San Francisco treat. Plus, you will pay exorbitantly for parking that car every day.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:13 AM
san

Of course, everything depends on your staying in a centrally located hotel. Assuming that's the case, you probably don't need a car. You can take cabs, busses or cable cars. When we were last there, we did rent a car for one day to head into wine country, but if you're staying in the city, no car is needed.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:50 AM
roger

My family and I stayed in San Francisco for 5 days last week. We did rent a car and were told not a good idea but did it anyway. We were glad we did! We stayed in Pacifica the 1st night and drove down Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz. What a magnificent drive! The second day we drove car back to airport and returned car. Caught taxi ($44 w/tip) to Sheraton Fishermans Wharf and did all the things at WF without a car. The 3rd & 4th days we rented car and stayed at Palace downtown. We parked overnight on a side street, (probably not recommended) and had no problems. It was the weekend so that probably helped? From this location we drove to Golden Gate, Giradhelli, Coit tower, Muir woods (what fun!), Fishermans Wharf, Chinatown, and drove down the winding Lombard Street. Maybe we were lucky but we were so glad we did and had the best time! What a city!! Can't wait to go back, at the end my 8 year son said to his mom, "Mom, I think I left my heart in San Francisco"

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:00 AM
rob

do not rent a car !!!.......try to stay near a cable car route and get a multi day bart pass for all transportation.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:00 AM
kam

Think Roger was very lucky! There are lots of rental agencies around Union Square should you want to take a day trip north or south of the city, but with only 4-5 days I think you'll find plenty to do in the city itself. Parking is $25-35 in lots and I would not recommend parking on the streets. Parking violations are strictly enforced. Alcatraz, Sausalito and Tiburon are all ferry rides, walking the GG bridge is a treat, and taxis are abundant. MUNI can get you almost everywhere. Go to www.sfvisitor.org for all the info anyone could ever want about SF. A day trip to Yosemite is too much time on the bus and not enough time in beautiful Yosemite. If you wanted to do this, plan to overnight and rent a car at SFO and do it first. Then return the car at SFO and taxi or shuttle into the city for the rest of your visit. Have fun.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:18 PM
J Correa

We live in the bay area and rarely drive into SF. Parking and driving around is a pain. We just ride around on MUNI.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:36 PM
SFResident

I wouldn't recommend renting a car for the entire time, because of parking situation downtown and in many popular dining areas, i.e. Valencia street. However, I would recommend renting one for a day trip out of SF to say Marin or Monterey. You can easily pick one up in Union square area and return it there. Driving in SF is not a pain, it is PARKING that is a problem. If you are from NYC you will not think that parking is expensive or difficult to find, otherwise you will. BTW contrary to traveling man's posting most SF residents do have cars, in fact there are more cars registered in SF than parking spaces, hence the parking problems. MUNI does go everywhere in SF and if you are not in a hurry like most of us residents, it is a good way to travel during the day (Taxi's are hard to find on the street outside of downtown). My personal recommendation for a place to visit: Crissy Field in the Presidio, wonderful views of the entire Bay, far less touristy then the Wharf, and you can walk to Fort Point right under the GGB.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:41 PM
FYI

FYI people who say they live in the Bay Area, do not live in SF, and they don't always know SF itself as well as they think.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:29 PM
kam

I don't know why I feel I have to justify my advice, but somehow I do. When I say I live in the "Bay area" I do--in Palo Alto, 44 miles south of SF. However, my adult son lives in Cow Hollow, near Pacific Heights. We are often up in the city--either for business (my husband has an office in the Embarcadero Center) or for pleasure or to visit our son and we always drive so I know what a pain it is to park in the city---firsthand. If his driveway is not taken by other tenants, we park there and take MUNI. Otherwise, we pay. Why any tourist would want to saddle himself with a car in SF is completely beyond me. Whatever advice I give here is first hand--done in person and since I don't know all parts of the city, I don't answer questions about them.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:12 AM
J Correa

Why do people feel the need to be so rude on these types of boards? For instance, I gave the opinion that driving in SF is a pain. Someone else said that driving isn't a pain, parking is a pain. What is the point of that comment? Either way, the point is that SF is easier without a car. Also, what is the deal with a SF resident discounting the advice of Bay Area residents because we don't actually live in SF? We all know that SF residents are cooler than the rest of us - it has a lot to do with the fog there - but that is no reason to be rude.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:13 AM
David

KP,

Having done it both ways I have this to say about cars and San Francisco: If you're going to rent a car, you're probably better off waiting until the day you're actually planning to drive somewhere outside the city. Parking IS a problem and most hotels will charge you upwards of $25 for the privelege of keeping your vehicle for you.

That said; however, be prepared to wait in some lines to ride the cable cars. Many people seem to be under the misconception that the Cable cars run all over the city. They are actually in limited areas and--depending on when you're going--can become quite crowded.

Personally, we generally use a combination of cable cars and walking. Although hilly, if you're in relatively decent shape, you will find you can walk to many of the places you wish to visit (of course, this also depends on where you're staying).

All in all, I think you will be happier without a car in SanFrancisco. If you do rent one to go out of town, pay a little extra, get a convertible and make a point of driving in and around the city at least once with the top down--it's a wonderful feeling!

Oh, and by the way, don't forget to drive to Alcatraz when you go...unforgettable

Davidcs

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Natalie

I live in San Francisco and I don't believe that you would need to rent a car for your entire trip. There are so many ways to get around you won't really need it. Plus, parking in San Francisco is really tough. You'll save tons of money by taking the cable cars and trains around the city. Try this web site if you need to take public transit http://www.transitinfo.org/cgi-bin/taketransit It's great! The site will show what train, cable car or bus to take so that you can arrive at your destination on time.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Tammy

I was in SF in 1989, didn't need a car then.....rode the cable cars and took the BART! SF is one of those wonderful Cities where a car is a hassle, the public transportation system is wonderful!
If you want to go out of the city then rent a car, but only for the day or whatever.....

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Jean

If someone offers an opinion that is different than yours, that is not rude. Rude is calling someone's advice stupid, or ill informed, etc. There are a great many rude people in this world and more than a few who post on boards such as this, but don't call someone rude because they have a different opinion. Indeed if a response qualifies as rude, it is yours J Correa, for your put down of people who live in SF. The original poster wanted advice, so give advice and accept that others have a different opinion.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:02 PM
J Correa

Thanks for putting me in my place Jean - I needed that.

(In case there is any confusion, that was sarcasm, not rudeness)

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:14 AM
hr

Why is it that people seem to feel the need to bitch and start arguments on just about every thread on the USA forum, when it happens so rarely on the Europe one? It really spoils what is such a great way of getting travel advice.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Maybeweve

Maybe it's because we've got more idiots asking questions. Be nice if more of them moved over your way.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:23 PM
L

No. Do not rent a car. Parking is a hassle, and so is driving down a main portal (Market Street, or 19th avenue) When you can not turn left. If you do not know the tricks, like Franklin is a one way street, running parallel with Market, with the ending at Lumbard, the driving will take away from your vacation, unless you have an uncanny sense of direction, good co-pilot etc.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:11 AM
gc

Another perspective...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/758561.asp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -