Reload this Page >

San Francisco July 4th weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:29 AM
C.

My husband and I will be taking a trip to San Francisco over a long July 4th weekend. Any special events happening we should plan on attending...firework shows, etc? Any thoughts on Beach Blanket Babylon? We have 2 small boys and NEVER get away by ourselves so this is a very special treat...any ideas for not too expensive romantic restaurants? Any hotel recommendations for Union Square?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Faina

There is always all-day celebration with rock concerts and fireworks along the watefronts. Check out bayarea.com and sfgate.com for all events.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:25 AM
cc

For the young ones, check out the Metreon Center's "Where the Wild Things Are" located around Mission and 4th. Really fun for kids!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:58 AM
kam

Try to book tickets immediately for Beach Blanket Babylon and then have dinner before (early) at Moose's in Washington Square. Have tea or a drink at the Garden Court of the Palace Hotel or the Top of the Mark (Hopkins) I like Antica Trattoria for a small, fairly romantic Italian restaurant. Most of the ones in the city are very loud and busy. Chapeau is another little French one but it's a bit out of the way in the Inner Richmond Distrist. A ferry over to Sausalito or Tiburon and lunch over there is rather romantic. Beautiful views back to the city.So much to recommend for Union Square hotels---the St. Francis is the classic, the Prescott is very nice, as is the Kensington Park (have a drink at the bar of Farallon if you're there---wouldn't pay the price for dinner though) Go to www.sfgate.com for lots of info and have fun.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:07 PM
Kate

The fireworks show is good... if it's not foggy. Be aware that SF in the summer tends to be cold and windy and foggy, especially at night. Many years the fireworks explode above the fog so you can't see much -- but when you can see them, they are good.

However, within a few miles of the city it's warm and even hot. Napa and Sonoma will be in the 80s or low 90s while it's in the low 50s and windy in the city.

I didn't like Beach Blanket Babylon myself. I thought it was dated and sort of tacky and schmaltzy... but many people have enjoyed it.

Have fun!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Bob

C,

I agree with Kate's assessment of the fireworks in San Francisco. More often that not you can't even see them due to the thick fog. I would suggest going to the fireworks display at the San Jose America Festival(www.americafestival.com) whre there will be no problem with the fog. They are on July 4th at 9:30 PM in Downtown San Jose. It is one of the best displays in northern California.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:34 AM
uncle

You'll be lucky to see the fireworks in San Jose due to the very serious air pollution problem they have. Go to Napa and Sonoma. More family and community oriented and less crime than San Jose.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Bob

C,

Please disregard uncle's sarcastic comment.

I also would suggest that you get there early because the fireworks display usually attracts crowds of about 200,000 to the downtown area. There are many notable restaurants in the area.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:44 AM
jodi

I was in San Fran last 4th of July. We were staying in the Holiday Inn in China Town--sneak up to the top floor--there is also a pool there (open during the day). Anyway, we were able to see fire works--it was great & free. You can even bring champagne, etc

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:05 AM
uncle

200,000 people show up and around 100,000 leave without their wallets or cars. Be careful when in San
Jose. Napa Valley is much cleaner and safer if you do not stay in San Francisco for fireworks.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Bob

uncle sam,

Please, give it up. It seems as if you are bored now that school is out.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:15 AM
xxx

Uncle Sam,
According to the statistics, San Jose seems quite safe indeed.

Most recent data from City Crime Rankings, 8th edition, 2001

Safest Cities pop. 500,000 or greater:
1 San Jose, CA
2 Honolulu, HI
3 El Paso, TX
4 San Diego, CA
5 Austin, TX 5
6 San Antonio, TX
7 New York, NY
8 Denver, CO

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:54 AM
uncle

My my. Quite defensive aren't we? And to have the "statistics" so readily available. Do I smell SJ C of C working the boards again? Nice to see that San Jose may have finally did something about their crime problem. Now if they can only start working on the pollution and traffic problems.
I believe the original question was about San Francisco.
Here's an idea. Start a "101 reasons to come to San Jose for the 4th of July".
If it comes down to picking between Sonoma or Napa Valley and San Jose, other than San Francisco, guess where I'm going?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:11 AM
xxx

Uncle Sam,

To accuse me of working for the SJ Chamber of Commerce is really lame. Can't you come up with a better line than that. Oh, I guess you should go back and get your high school diploma first.

San Jose's pollution problem is no different than that of San Francicso or any other city in northern California.

If you don't like the San Jose, that is your perogative. Many people like the city and can do without narrow minded people like yourself.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Al

Can I just tell you how tired I am of your constant San Francisco vs. San Jose childish bickering!?! SHUT UP!!!!!!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:26 AM
xo

Amen, Al!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:31 AM
uncle

Al, He started it!

xxx@"org",("org", eh?)
"Air pollution is the same in SF as it is in SJ?" What are you breathin'?
That's not fog in SJ like SF, it's pollution! You can't see the mountains half the time in the summer. And lord konws you have enought time to look as you're stuck in all the traffic.
I have to admit it. You're right about my education. I'm a San Jose St graduate which is about the equivilent to being a grade school grad.
San Jose was a dump 15 yrs ago and it's nice to know some things never change.
Having said that, Al, I'm done. Back to travel.
SF or Napa will be better for fireworks.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Bob

uncle sam,

From your post you sound like you definitely went to San Francisco State.

San Jose State is one of the top universities in the CSU system.

U.S. News and World Report 2002 Rankings:

San Jose State University
Engineering program rank = 7

San Francisco State University
Engineering program rank = 50

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:46 PM
xxx

Best Places Northern California

Nowadays, the answer to Dionne Warwick's question, "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?" might well be, "Dionne, honey, you've been away too long."

The rolling fields and orchards and the small-town spirit of San Jose memorialized in Warwick's '60s hit song are gone. With skyscrapers and stadiums springing up in unlikely places over the past few years. There are a few undeveloped spots (Kelley Park and Guadalupe River Park , for starters), rare and strangely beautiful against the backdrop of chrome and glass. And many of the ethnic neighborhoods-vibrant and alive with Latin rhythms or Asian austerity-remain intact.

[The Tech Museum of Innovation] While some San Jose residents seem puffed up with understandable pride at the city's energetic new look and feel. First-class restaurants, a state-of-the-art light rail system, a flourishing arts scene, bustling shopping districts, innovative museums, and a dazzling sports arena have all contributed to the city's revitalization. All work together seamlessly to further San Jose's emergence as a world class city

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:31 PM
yyy

Robert Bob, Big deal. Anybody can be an engineer! Those things drive themselves nowadays. But who wants to be an engineer with Amtrak going on strike?
USF is much better that California State University, San Jose any day of the week.
Where does SJ rank in pollution? Have they overtaken Los Angeles or Houston yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -