Reload this Page >

San Francisco Hotels

Search

San Francisco Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Simone

San Francisco Hotels

Travelling with family of 4 in July and will spend three nights in San Francisco. I am considering Pan Pacific, Westin St. Francis and Nikko. Nikko is the only hotel with a pool. The Westin apparently has larger rooms in the tower. Pan Pacific is known for the service. Looking for advice from anyone who has stayed and comment on size of rooms, type of restaurant for teenagers etc.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:11 PM
karen

hi, i posted this exact question 2 days ago and got only 2 responses. i am going this march and actually have reservations at both the westin st francis AND the nikko. on travelocity .com, i got the nikko (concierge floor) for 189/night for a large room with 2 double beds, which also includes health club access. and i did not even have to use the travelocity" goodbuy" feature, which requires that you pay the whole bill up front - that was only 169/night, but you can not cancel without a penalty , and it was not for an especially nice room. if you are just a regular guest in the hotel, i think the charge is as much as 6.00per person to use the health club. the westin st francis is famous for its comfy beds and i got a rate of 209.00 on travelocity for a large room with a view, whatever that means. i am thinking of staying 3 nights in each of these places. the pan pacific rates were at least 100 more per night, though bc it is a "leading hotel of the world" and i am a member, there is a chance i could get upgraded to a suite, which would be nice. the one thing i have heard about most hotels in san fran is that the rooms, even in boutique hotels, can be incredibly small, but that is NOT true about the 3 hotels you have listed. good luck and i hope some other people share their insights. thanks, karen

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:19 PM
karen

hi again simone, i really do not mean to exclude others, but i did want to say that other people on this site were very helpful about telling me to get tickets for alcatraz WELL in advance of your stay. you can actually order tickets over the phone months ahead of time, but if you wait until you get to sf, you may be out of luck, especially at a busy time like july. phone number i used was 415 705-5555 karen

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Prue

Simone,
We stayed at the Westin St Francis in September last year - our room was in the Tower and was a good size, although not overly large.
The downside of the hotel as far as we were concerened was that as soon as you left the hotel building you were in the midst of a large number of homeless people, lying the gutter and sometimes accosting passersby.
There has been a lot of discussion on this forum in the past about this - but we really felt it totally spoiled our time in San Francisco, and at times was very intimidating.
Therefore, if any of those other hotels you mention are away from the Union Square area I would certainly choose them over the St Francis.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:19 PM
as

I've said it before many times on the forum, and I'll say it again! The hotel Nikko is great. Our room on the club floor was very nice, roomy, extremely clean, large nice bath, EXCELLENT service. We stayed there last summer with our 2 kids, 12 and 14, and we all loved it. (I am also picky, and don't like most hotels) The Nikko is a good value. I'd definitely choose their rooms over the Westins, which I've seen mixed reviews of...
when you return, give us your review!

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:01 PM
rr