San Francisco Hotel Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and FDIL are planning their wedding trip to San Francisco in October. I offered to help them with some research.

FDIL did her own research and said she wants to stay in the Union Square area and liked the Nikko. I haven't read much here about it but did read both good and bad on other websites. Has anyone stayed at the Nikko recently? If so, what did you think of the hotel (needs updating or not)and location (good area, bad area)?

They are also looking at the Marriot (Stanford Court) Nob Hill. Does anyone know anything about that hotel? There is a JW Marriott (near the Nikko, I think), too, and I have read good things about that hotel. How do they both compare to the Nikko?

Please give other hotel suggestions in the Union Square area. I know this area is a bit tricky and that it is suggested to stay Union Square east rather than west. She was trying to pinpoint this area on a map but had some difficulty so if anyone can give us street names bordering the area to avoid that would be helpful.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions about hotels.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM

For a honeymoon, if she has any interest in staying a certain place, let her decide and don't say a word about anything.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM

For a honeymoon, if she has any interest in staying a certain place, let her decide and don't say a word about anything unless she asks for advice.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Spirobulldog, she welcomes our advice on everything. She asked for a little help so we are happy to do some research for them, too. We have such a good realtionship - we are very lucky!

So, if anyone has comments about the hotels I mentioned or other hotel advice and suggestions, we will put them all to good use.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
dmlove

I don't know the Nikko. The JW Marriott is in a very good location, right off Union Square. The hotel gets excellent reviews. A lot of people like to stay on Nob Hill (several very nice hotels up there - the Stanford Court, the Fairmont and the Mark Hopkins). I personally would NOT want to stay up there for the very reason that it's at the top of the hill. Walking is difficult and I like to be able to walk right out the door of my hotel for my morning coffee, etc.

BTW, Union Square is only tricky if they're using Priceline. If they're picking their own hotel, all the nice hotels are in a decent part of town (some of them are technically west of the square, but it doesn't get "iffy" for at least several blocks west -- have no concern, it's absolutely fine. There are theatres and nice restaurants west of the square also.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, dmlove. From reading some past posts of yours, I gather you know the San Francisco area very well.

I would love to hear about the Nikko and any other hotel suggestions.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM

Used to work for this chain and have stayed there several times, although not in a few years.
I always liked this hotel. Very clean with lots of marble. It's probably more suited to the business traveler but the location is pretty good. The hotel feels secure, but I have heard that it is close to a bad area. I have not felt endangered walking in the area, even late at night.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
dmlove

Marianna, I live here! (Well, I've lived in the suburbs for 20 years, but I still work downtown - I can see the Ferry Bldg from my office).

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I thought so!

We haven't been to San Francisco for years but we love that area. My husband used to work in San Ramon, spending a week or two a month there and the rest of the time traveling to other places and getting home once in a while. While he worked in that area, I would go with him on some trips. We stayed in San Francisco several times and also in Sausalito, Sonoma, Yountville, and Bodega Bay.

Anyway, our son and FDIL are taking a trip after the wedding to San Francisco, Carmel, with possibility of stops for a few days each in wine country and Monterey/Pacific Grove. They will be in San Francisco for about 4 days before moving on to other places as their plans evolve.

Thanks for your comments about the hotels. I already passed them on to FDIL.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM

I looked up Nikko: Ellis at Mason. My personal opinion: I would get a better area (safer).

Stanford court - is it the one on California @ Powell? They will definitely get a room with a view, this hotel is on a very steep hill.

JW - on Post @ Mason? Perfect location.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Hello Faina,

While doing research here last night I noticed the Nikko location and thought it might not be exactly what they want. They enjoy going out and walking around into the late evening whenever they travel. So the Nikko may not be for them.

The other two are the hotels I have discussed with FDDIL. Glad to hear they are in good locations. She seem to prefer the Stanford Court Marriott at Nob Hill. However, I have read great things, as dmlove also commented, about the JW Marriott.

I will forward this info to FDDIL - and she is a real darling, too!

Thanks, Faina!
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM

We just returned from 3 days at the JW Marriott, Union Square. A terific experience. The hotel, room, service and location could not have been better. Your FDIL may like the (open) corridor art work, bed linens, beautiful bathrooms etc. There's a lot to like.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ionastation, I will pass this on to her. I think the hotel is on her short list.