San Francisco Honeymoon hotel

Oct 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

San Francisco Honeymoon hotel

Greetings!
My son and his gf are getting married in June of 08. As the parents of the groom, we would like to send them on a few night honeymoon - for those of you that "know" me - they have a few week old baby - and are on a very limited budget - so it will be a three to four night deal paid for by us.

I had thought of the Casa Madrona <sp> inn - but they indicated they really want to be in the city.

I would like some place nice - but not crazy expensive (maybe 350.00 -400.00 a night tops)with a good location for them to be able to run around et.

Thanks in advance!
Dawn
Oct 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Awww, how sweet!
My favorite place in SF is Hotel Monaco. Sign up for their eletters to get notification of special deals.
Oct 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Here's a link to the specials page of the website -
http://www.monaco-sf.com/monmon_specials.html
Oct 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

starsville - that looks exactly like what I am looking for! Thank you so much!!!
Oct 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
dmlove

The Monaco is great - all the rooms are individually decorated. If there's any way you can swing it, the suites are wonderful. The rooms are nicely decorated, but the suites are just that much better.

Oct 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback dm - I will try to get a suite depending on the costs.
Oct 27th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Or for a different location, try the Harbor Court Hotel, right across from the Ferry Building and imo a wonderful location. Was just in SF for 4 days in Sept and we never even got to Union Square. I wasn't interested in shopping in any of the chain stores available at home; much preferred the Ferry Building shopping, the Sat and Tues Farmers Market and the crafts that come as well. From that location there is public transportation everywhere! But the rooms are not large if they are having the baby, but maybe you will babysit as part of the gift! See if you can get a harbor view room, lovely!
Oct 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM

I always stayed at the White Swan Inn when on business in SF and thought it was very romantic. Cozy, quaint, fireplaces in room. Only complaint is loud noise of garbage trucks in the early morning hours.

We stayed at the Westin St. Francis last year with our kids. It's still a great old hotel with history and well appointed.

Guess it depends on their style--small vs. large, etc.
Oct 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM
MaureenB

Also consider the Joie de Vivre group of hotels. They are boutique-type and very nice, reasonably priced. We stayed at their Hotel Rex a couple of years ago and really liked it. Probably not nice enough for a honeymoon splurge, though, but I think the White Swan might be one of their properties. Or, the St. Francis seems like the quintessential (sp?) San Francisco hotel to me.
>-

Oct 27th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - no, they are not taking the baby with them. We will gladly watch her as will her parents

As far as their style... I am not sure - they are young, hip, more modern then "old" fashion as far as decor - they do want to be in the thick of things.
Oct 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

The St. Francis has a tower that is modern and it is a starwood property - I might be able to use points for part of their stay... what are the thoughts on the location?
Oct 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Hi dawn, the St. Francis is right in the area known as Union Square. It is just across the street (on the west side) of Union Sqaure.

If they would prefer Union Square the St. Francis in a perfect location.

Having no idea what their interests are it is hard to say which hotel they would enjoy.

I feel that San Francisco is a wonderful city to visit for a Honeymoon. Best wishes to your son and bride to be.
Oct 27th, 2007, 09:46 AM
dmlove

Dawn, the St. Francis is a block closer to Union Square than is the Monaco. Very different hotels, though. The St. Francis is a "grande dame" type hotel - huge opulent lobby. The Monaco is a typical Kimpton Hotel -- smaller, unique, etc. I like both, but you have to know what THEY would like. I certainly wouldn't refer to the St. Francis as "modern/hip"!

Oct 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
dmlove

Oh, and I know this is slightly OT, but in terms of restaurants, if they're willing to spend a fair amount (not huge, but not inexpensive either), Cortez across the street and up the block from the Monaco is a really great "small plates" restaurant. Very very modern and chic. Reservations required, at least on weekends.

Oct 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again - I am not sure exactly what they want to do there - they picked San Fran - both love it there - I took them both there for the day about a year ago interestily enough to take a second look at the Art school that ds was considering going to. Gf was thinking about going to live with her aunt and uncle outside S.F. and taking the BART in everyday to go to hair school.

At that time, obviously she was not pregnant - things sure do change in a year.

I had actually taken gf with us on that trip in Oct to show her that it would be a pain to ride the BART in everyday - (we took the BART from the airport into the city) Did not work..she loved it. LOL

They are "artsy" - he wants to "shoot" (pictures) - skate the hills (skate board) - they are really basic kind of people - not into glamous meals et.

I suggested the Union Square area over the Warf area - having stayed in both I prefer Union Square. DS and I stayed at a Hyatt in the Warf area for our first trip to S.F. to look at the Art school.

I know the W tends to be a more hip/modern place - when I went to a conference at the Moncone <sp> I think the W was right there - any thoughts on that.

Again, I really appreciate the advice et. Dm I am not sure they will be into making reservations and keeping them. LOL They will be 20 and almost 19 -

Thinking of that - are they going to have an issue checking in? I will prepay the room and they have a credit card. I know I will double check with the place when we book.

Oct 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

oh one more thing - they are planning on getting a tatoo on their feet as their wedding gift to each other.

I know.. I know...
Oct 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I knew a couple from New Zealand that had their wedding "bands" tattooed on their finger (rather than wearing rings). They have been happily married for decades.
Oct 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

starsville,
Have I told you I love you? ;-) Just kidding but seriously - thank you. They are very artsy, different et - certainly not Southern Orange County Rebulicans ;-).

Oct 27th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Hugs and kisses back to you, dawn. You've had a rough run of it. It will all sort out. Promise it will. In 3 years you won't be able to even imagine life without the precious grandbaby in it. Dakota, right? (Not sure I remember that correctly). Let them create the life and family they want to create. You get to spoil the grandbaby!

And, kudos to you for the honeymoon gift. My sister had similar struggles with a child's marriage and I was SO proud of her when she gifted them a honeymoon as well.
Oct 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Awwhhhh... day by day we all go eh?

Yes, her sweet name is Dakota

Tomorrow is the "baby" shower. Her Dad did not want her to have a shower prior to the baby being born as he felt it was wrong. Dakota is about 7 weeks now.

I got her the sweetest braclet. We already have "given" so much in terms of cribs, stroller, et et - that I wanted something small, more personal for the baby. And we know that $$ wise we have a lot more to give in the next few years.

I have honestly never seen a young couple so in love. Son and gf are stepping up to the plate. They are still struggling with being new parents et.

Anyway - cool on your sis too

And yes, I have to keep stepping back and letting them do what they want. DS came to me as I am slightly anti "tatoo" and said that they would not do it if I was completely against it but that they really wanted to. He knows my feelings about putting "ink" where it will impact your life imo(where it cannot be covered up for job purposes) but said that they will have it on their feet where it could be... what is a Mom to do? He will be almost 20 at that time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO