Reload this Page >

San Francisco budget hotels... HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Caitlin

My boyfriend and I are spending a week in San Francisco in early September and I've been trying to choose a budget hotel. I've narrowed it down to 3 in the Union Square area: Golden Gate Hotel, Touchstone Hotel, and Clarion Bedford Hotel. They are within our budget but I am concerned about whether they are going to be CLEAN and livable. Does anyone know anything about any one of these hotels? Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:30 AM
dougd

Our friends have stayed at the Golden Gate and loved it. Another option is the San Remo in the North Beach area. Very inexpensive, with lots of European style charm.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:50 PM
kam

San Remo is great if you can be happy with no TVs and shared (but extremely clean) bathrooms. It's in North Beach which is a great area of the city for walking and small restaurants. Another one to look at is the Hotel Del Sol. Hotels in SF are very expensive, so if you think you've found a great bargain, make sure it's in a good neighborhood.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:03 AM
Caitlin

Thanks... we ruled out San Remo because I'd rather have a private bathroom... Does anyone know anything about these other hotels? The Touchstone and Clarion Bedford?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:31 AM
L

We stayed at Hotel Beresford Arms a few years ago - very, very nice, large rooms, although a little old fashion. Nice bathrooms. Great location. Wine and cheese and music in the lobby each evening. Located at 701 Post Street, 1-800-533-6533 or 415-673-2600. About $115 a night, and this included an excellent valet parking system .. we never waited more than 5 minutes for our car. I cannot imagine a better hotel in SF for the money. Ciao

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:35 AM
Parrot Mom

Twice we have used The Andrews Hotel, very affordable and it includes a huge buffet breakfast on each floor in the a.m. and a glass of wine in their restaurant. For more info please write or go to www.andrewshotel.com oh yes.. private old fashioned bathrooms and everything is clean...only 40 rooms and very hard to get into, but try it..

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:28 AM
Don

I don't know what your budget is, but people have used Priceline to get 4* hotels in San Francisco for prices in the $60-$75/night range.

Go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com for details. Read the Hotel FAQs, then go to the San Francisco hotels thread to read about people's winning bids.

Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or the Web site mentioned above, yadda, yadda.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time in San Francisco!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:34 AM
Dawn

Kensington Park Hotel near Union Square is excellent and right next to Theatre on the Square. You can walk to everything. It is quite charming.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:06 AM
golden

I was going to recommend the Savoy, off Union Square, but then I realized I was guilty of the same sin as other posters: not answering your original question.

But, hey, we're trying to be nice, anyway.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:41 AM
Caitlin

Thank you everyone, for your help... Keep suggestions coming... I'm still working on it... Might try Priceline but I don't want to end up in a bad or inconvenient area...

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:16 PM

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:40 PM
gina

We stayed at the Metropolis right off Union Square for about $115 a night - booked with one of the hotel reservation networks. It was cute, with a theatre theme and neat/bright/smallish rooms.

However, there was a strip club next door, so not sure if that would turn you off! We thought it was fabulously kitcsh, but...

After you make reservations, you may want to check some of the reservation networks (QuikBook, HotRooms, HotelRes.com) for really low-ball prices just prior to leaving - my boyfriend once lucked out on a $400 a night place for $99 a few days before leaving for a business trip.