san francisco -- at night!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am joining my husband on a business trip to san francisco for the week of dec 16th to the 22nd. He will be working during the day, but I want us to do some sight-seeing in the evening. We don't drink alcohol, and we are on a tight budget. any suggestions? oh, and we're staying at comfort inn by the bay near fishermans wharf...but we'll have a car.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM

On Monday night, San Francisco City Guides (sponsored by the Public Library), has a free walking tour "North Beach at Night" which starts at 7pm. Meet in front of Spec's Cafe at 12 Saroyan Pl - just off Columbus, south of Broadway. This tour is also conducted Sunday night - same time & place.

On Thursday the 20th, there is a 5:30pm walking tour of "Telegraph Hill". Meet at Marconi Monument across from 290 Lombard.

See www.sfcityguides.org for more walks & descriptions of the 35 different walks.

Stu Dudley

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:57 PM

Slight correction.........

Both of the evening tours I mentioned above are not offered in the winter.

See the web site for info on all current tours.

Sorry !!

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM

Don't miss a short drive to Coit Tower.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM

Hi newlyweds..and congratulations on your marriage! May you have many decades of love, joy and good health.

Do you like to walk? SF can be fun to just walk around in at night such as Union Square (you will see lots of Christmas decorations), ChinaTown, North Beach, Union St. and area etc. Do keep in mind though if you drive your car to those places the parking lots are expensive.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM

Hi again newlyweds, I do not know if this would interest you two, if your husband would get away in time to catch the 4:30pm ferry (the last one of the day) and if the cost would be prohibitive but here is the Official Website for you and your husband. http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM

Hi again newlyweds, I do not know if this would interest you two, if your husband would get away in time to catch the 4:30pm ferry (the last one of the day) and if the cost would be prohibitive but here is the Official Website for touring Alcatraz Island. http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Coit tower is definitely a must see at night, esp. with the views.

Also, as said earlier, Union Square is pretty at night, and you can stroll around the area (Cheesecake Factory, NikeTown, Macy's, etc.)
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM
MaureenB

You won't have any problem finding things to do in S.F. Especially during the week before Christmas, it will be very pretty at night.

Drive over to the oceanside of the city, where the Cliff House is. It's too expensive to eat there, probably, unless you want to splurge on lunch. But it's a pretty beach area to walk on.

There's a diner just a short walk up from the Cliff House, which is very basic American food, with great views of the ocean. Usually there are jewelry vendors set up around there, where we bought a very pretty polished stone necklace and earring set last time we were there.

There's a hilltop park which gives you an incredible 360 view of the city, the Golden Gate, the ocean-- but I'm forgetting its name. Maybe someone can post it. It's just behind the U of C Med School campus.

Take the ferry to Sausalito and stroll around, take a picnic lunch.
>-

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
MaureenB

Sorry, wasn't noticing the "at night" request. Well, you'll still have lots of choices, and some of my ideas will work!
>-

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM
MaureenB

Sorry, I wasn't noticing the "at night" request.

Well, you'll still have lots of choices, and some of my ideas will work at nightl, too. The view from the hill (I think it's Mount Sopras), or the view of Ocean Beach at night are still gorgeous-- and free!

Ride the trolley cars, for sure. About $5/apiece each direction, I think. Not free, but a must-do IMHO.
>-

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM

And down Powell St. from Union Square across Market St., is the SF Centre with lots of shops and Nordstrom. Attached is the new Bloomingdales which has cafes where you might like to eat. Just window shopping and strolling around the SF Center is a lot of fun.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM

The small restaurant near the Cliff House is Louis' Restaurant. Would you believe that with such an incredible view, Louis' once upon a time had a WALL on the ocean side?

The hill behind UCSF Med Center is Mt Sutro. However, as far as I know, there is no panoramic view from there, only dying eucalyptus trees. I believe Maureen meant Twin Peaks.

(Hi, Maureen!)

I'd suggest that one night immediately after work, the two of you start driving across the Golden Gate Bridge. The first exit on your right will be to the Vista Point. From there you will get a fantastic view back to San Francisco as well as of great swatches of the Bay itself.

Then continue to drive north to Sausalito (get a good map!) and to one of several restaurants right by the seashore. My favorite is the Spinnaker, where you can sit in the bar area and order some non-alcoholic drinks and just look out across the Bay to San Franicsco. One of the best views you'll ever have of the entire Bay Area.

Is this 16th-22nd of December? If so, then I'd suggest that another night hopping some public transportation and just go and wander around Union Square. The Christmas lights should be up and it should be a fun place just to walk around.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM
MaureenB

EasyT, maybe it was Twin Peaks. We'd toured the Med School, then stopped at the top of this hill to take photos. There are facilities there (i.e. bathrooms), and parking, and a stone wall from which you can see Univ of S.F., the Golden Gate, etc. Then, I think from the other side you can see to the ballpark and beyond. Unless I am thinking of two different places!

Yes, and it's Louis's I was thinking of. Is it open for dinner? It's such a funky old place, but can't beat the view. My Dad loved eating there, such a simple menu that reminds me of the 50s.

(EasyT, my daughter has the three computers set up in her classroom. The students think she must have special connections because she got THREE of them! Thanks to you. Now I'm looking to get her some computer programs for remedial reading, since her kids read at about the 4th grade level, and some even below that.)
>-

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Probably not Twin Peaks. Don't think you can see the Med Center, Ocean, or the Golden Gate from there. You can get a partial GG Bridge view - but not the mouth of the Bay.

I've never been there, but Mt Sutro might be the spot. Maybe we'll head there tomorrow.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
MaureenB

My husband thinks it was Mt. Supro.
What do I know?? I took great photos from there, so I can e-mail one to you, Stu, if we want to be sure we know where we're talking about. Not a big deal, unless you're interested.
>-

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM

If there is a stone wall and bathrooms there, I'm pretty sure it would be Mt Sutro. There are other lookouts near the med center (Randall Museum, Buena Vista park), but I don't think you can see the ocean, & they are really not high enough - I think the only view is towards downtown & east. Mt Sutro is 908 ft & Twin Peaks is 922 ft.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Back from a day touring a few of the "view" hills in SF.

There are no significant views from a parking lot at Mt Sutro - unless you climb a hill (which we did not). In fact, there really is no parking lot - much less a viewing area with facilities. The only views from the road are between buildings, and you can really only see west towards the ocean.

Most likely MaureenB's view was indeed from Twin Peaks. There is a large viewing area with bathrooms, and a view east towards downtown and the bulk of the Bay & over to the East Bay cities & hills. There is a partial view of the GG Bridge, but no views west to the ocean. You can climb up a hill and probably get 360 degree views, and you can get views of the ocean from a few of the access roads to the viewing spot. Twin Peaks has probably the best view of the City from inside the City. The huge tower at Twin Peaks is Sutro Tower. Sutro appears several times in SF - Sutro Baths, Mt Sutro, and Sutro Tower. Can't see UCSF Med center from the Twin Peaks viewing area, but you probably can see the old St Francis Hospital (now condos), which looks a little like the UCSF Med center (and is where I was born).

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
MaureenB

Stu, you're a trooper! I wish I could e-mail to you a couple of the photos I took from the hill, which must have been Twin Peaks as you say. I could always ask my sister, who lives in S.F., because she knows where my husband and I went that day.

Looking from the rock wall down to the city, you can look directly at downtown's main street (Market Street?). You can see USF, but NOT the UCSF Med School from the hill. We had driven up the hill from the Med School campus, so that's what I meant by saying the hill was above the campus.

Another hill we visited is from the USF's beautiful Lone Mountain campus. It's an amazing old building, that must have been a convent or a monastery. From its back garden, there are pretty views of the Bay. Have you been there, Stu?
>-

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM
MaureenB

Stu, you're a trooper! I wish I could e-mail to you a couple of the photos I took from the hill, which must have been Twin Peaks as you say. I could always ask my sister, who lives in S.F., because she knows where my husband and I went that day.

Looking from the rock wall down to the city, you can look directly at downtown's main street (Market Street?). You can see USF, but NOT the UCSF Med School from the hill. We had driven up the hill from the Med School campus, so that's what I meant by saying the hill was above the campus.

Another hill we visited is the USF's beautiful Lone Mountain campus. It's an amazing old building, that must have been a convent or a monastery. From its back garden, there are pretty views of the Bay. Have you been there, Stu?
>-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -