Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco apartment for.Christmas VRBO is it fake?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at an apartment rental for Christmas on VRBO. Seems to good to be true and reviews are all one week after another. I received an email from the person who rents it, just getting a weird vibe. Could it be a fake? How can I tell? Is there any recourse with VRBO?
http://www.vrbo.com/340715
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM

It seems to be fairly booked for the next few months, so having reviews that are for stays pretty close together isn't all that odd.

What kind of weird vibe from the emails?

You can get insurance from VRBO; a good idea for any rental that you get from vrbo.

http://guarantee.homeaway.com/vrbo
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 08:11 AM

It does look like a great deal - report back if you stay there - I would like to hear about it
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like a great place and a good deal. I'd stay there.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Giulia, do you know the actual address? The only thing that looks fake to me is what seems to be a VERY low (reasonable?) nightly price.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Giulia, I just posted on your other thread about this same subject. You might want to read my post. Since the owner is breaking the law yes it could be that the information is fake or not completely truthful. My experience in life is that if a person is untrustworthy regarding one segment of their life it is never a shock to find out that is their mode of operation.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I don't think the price is that low. LOTS of vacation rentals here as people try to get a bit of extra cash....esp in Russian Hill where the hills are a challenge for some. But the OP doesn't even know how to add to her original post....
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Mztery, I have no idea why you post on many of my questions attacking me. I posted the question from my phone and it locked up, it didn't look like it posted so I hit submit again and it posted it twice, innocent mistake, technology is not perfect. I don't appreciate the negativity and the snide comments. I noticed you made a snide remark on the other question and many of my other posts. I wouldn't treat you that way, why are you treating me this way? Isn't the point of this forum to be helpful to others? Please, if you have some hatred for me then don't read my posts. Travel is a fun part of life. I come on this board for support and advice and quite frankly I'm tired of your remarks. You can attack me all you want, why I'm not sure, but go ahead if it makes you happy or makes you feel good, but just know that I think you are behaving in an extremely unkind manner and I don't appreciate it.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

The holiday rate is $213 and it's a very good location, Union between Hyde and Larkin. There are a couple of 1 bedroom units for $200 a night in a less desirable but still nice location so it does seem odd. We've been staying in a hotel in Chinatown for the last 12 years, however, now that we have a baby we need a separate bedroom. I'm very sad not to stay in "our" hotel but life has changed and now so must we!
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You seem to be focusing only on the price. Several people have mentioned on both threads that it could be an illegal rental, but that doesn't seem to faze you.

If your child is that young, WHY would you need a separate bedroom?
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM

Where do you live ? Do you have any friends in the San Francisco area that could check this place out to reassure you ?

I find it best to ignore people who are negative.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM

why is it necessary to understand why OP wants a separate bedroom?
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 07:30 AM

I think janisj is reacting to the fact that OP was getting a weird vibe form the VRBO owner and that the price SEEMS cheaper than equivalent apartments and so might be better off in a hotel. (although I don't agree with that assessment - vacation rentals are going down in price here due tot he economy)
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM

jubilada: I was only responding to >>now that we have a baby we need a separate bedroom.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM

A separate bedroom isn't necessary, but it sure is nice, so you can put the baby to sleep and still have use of the living room. I remember many a time in hotel rooms when we had to keep the lights out and the TV off until one or the other kid fell asleep.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM

Oh - sure. A suite is always nicer than a single room. I just think that for someone on a moderate budget, a separate room might not be an option . . .
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM

I don't see that the OP was asking for a moderately priced accommodation.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I actually wasn't necessarily looking for a moderately priced accommodation, although "moderate" means something different in every city. I'm not sure why it's relevant as to why I need a separate bedroom, but if you'd truly want the answer, it's because my daughter goes to sleep at 7pm, so unless we all want to go to sleep at 7pm, we require a separate room.

As to the rental being illegal that may very well be why there's a weird vibe. The thing I don't understand is why there are so many rentals on VRBO if this is against the law. What were the specific parameters? LoveItaly said "San Francisco passed a city code back in the early 80's that residences cannot legally be rented for less then 30 days", but then why does his ad say that the maximum time is 29 days? Could it be that he doesn't understand this law since he appears to be a new rental.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM

No doubt the owner of the rental you are interested in is not aware of the SF code, Giulia. I was surprised that a few long time SF residents, one who is an attorney, was not aware of the law. But I was due to a few factors such as being in the insurance business and writing coverage on a lot of SF properties plus having friends and family members who were residents of SF that lived in multiunit buildings that dealt with a unit or more being constantly rented to short term tenants. My late husband was a Realtor/Agency Owner so way back in the day he researched SF's codes and passed them on to those who asked for help. I don't remember any of them "turning in" their neighbors for renting their residences short term but I do remember that they were glad to know the law, which the city leaders evidently failed to remember, lol.

Regarding wanting a bedroom so you can put your baby down to sleep early evening while you enjoy being in the living room, that I sure can relate to for sure.

I wish I lived in SF as I would check this place out for you.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM

here's the deal in SF

if you rent an accommodation for longer than 29 days the renter becomes a tenant and tenant laws apply, which are strict about things like eviction, codes etc. That's the origin of the 29 day rule. I don;t know how hotels deal with this for consultants etc who live somewhere for a few months but that is the law.

There are other laws which prohibit individuals from renting rooms or apartments unless they have a business license , collect sales taxes etc.VERY FEW PEOPLE OBSERVE THIS LAW ON VRBO. Like many laws that are ignored, the laws are ignored because very very few people suffer penalties for renting out an apartment on VRBO or craigslist in SF.

What your VRBO owner is doing is running an illegal hotel. he doesn't live there so its not a B and B. He doesn't want to be a landlord because the rules are strict, hence the 29 day rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -