Reload this Page >

San Francisco and Sonoma

Search

San Francisco and Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 1997, 06:06 AM
A G

San Francisco and Sonoma

Hi! my husband and I are going to SF in October. I need some help with hotel options in SF and Sonoma. Am looking at the San Remo(recommende by Fodors) in SF (the penthouse which is the only room with a private bath) and the El Dorado(recommended by Travel & Leisure) in Sonoma. Any comments/ suggestions on these or any other hotels in that price range and B&B style would be enormously appreciated! Thanx!

Old Jun 17th, 1997, 05:11 PM
Simrin

I don't know have much info on the B&B's in S.F. but here are a few nice hotels in case you decide to do that instead: The downtown Hilton, Parc 55, Fairmont, Westin St. Francis, Hyatt Regency.
Have fun!
Simrin

Old Jun 19th, 1997, 12:33 PM
Ann

SUPER IMPORTANT, do not drink and drive in California, please. Locals rent Limo's for Wine Tours, the best and safest way to enjoy youeself.

Old Jun 20th, 1997, 07:47 AM
ann

I just took guests on tours all over wine country which is beautiful, and my home,. I was the driver while they toured and savored the experience. This is what I had reference to, if I had joined in with them the I would have arranged for a limo to tour us which is really a fum way to visit since they know all of the routes, which 3 in a day is about all you can do , then enjoy a meal out at one of the unlimited resturants, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. This way you all can enjoy the total experience, relax, and door to door service which is very reasonable, and alot of fun.You are on vacation so splurge a little and have a true experience. All are very nice, different, and most enjoyable.

Old Jun 20th, 1997, 10:05 AM
petrice

I stayed at the El Dorado in Sonoma a few weekends ago for a wedding and was actually quite disappointed. For $145/night (weekend rate) we had a tiny room (my husband and I could not walk past the bed at the same time), queen bed and minimal "extras" - only two bath towels, etc. The complimentary breakfast was tiny muffins and bruised fruit. Frankly, for that much money, I think you can do better. Unfortunately, I don't have another recommendation since that was the first time I've been in Sonoma, but you may want to shop around a little more. Good luck!

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 09:13 PM
Jackie

My husband and I visited Sonoma in May. We stayed at a B&B called the Gaige House Inn in Glen Ellen. Our room was beautiful and airy. A three course gourmet breakfast was served in the morning - it was fabulous!

Old Jul 11th, 1997, 12:05 PM
Tracy

I was married in San Francisco in May. After the wedding, we stayed in the city for a week. We stayed a wonderful inn a few blocks off Union Square -- the Petite Auberge. It was adorable -- small, French country style with an old-fashioned elevator, a wonderful full breakfast every morning, and tea, cookies and wine every afternoon. The rooms start at $140, and I'm pretty sure all have private baths and working fireplaces (something that comes in handy on those chilly, foggy San Fran nights). Our room was $160 which meant it was a little bigger. The Petite Auberge is one of the Four Sisters inns (a group of inns in the West) who are known for their service and attention to detail. It was truly a delight. They also own the White Swan Inn, which is adjacent to the Petite Auberge. We loved it so much that we are going back for New Year's.

Old Jul 17th, 1997, 08:03 PM
Dennis Holland

Second on everything written about Petite Auberge, stayed there twice and loved it. Lots of extra amenities, White Swan Inn next door has a more Englis atmosphere, Petite Auberge, French country style.
Lots of B&B's in Sonoma/Napa, check with the local tourist bureaus.
Four Sisters owners of Petite Auberge/White Swan also have a place in Napa but I forget the name.

Dennis

Old Jul 31st, 1997, 05:38 AM
LIZ

I also loved the Gaige House Inn. We were there a couple years ago and recently recommended it to friends who ended up extending their stay because they liked it so much. There is a gorgeous pool and beautiful landscaping. Breakfasts were outstanding. In San Fransisco, we stayed at the ARchbishop's Mansion which is very nice but on the edge of a very bad neighborhood. They keep the main door locked all the time and told us to take cabs rather than walk from the inn - I did not like that at all.