Reload this Page >

San Francisco Airport Area Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Liz

I'm going on vacation to Sonoma Valley, but won't arrive at the San Francisco Int'l Airport until Friday 6pm after a long flight (we'll pick up a car) and won't drive up until the next day. We need a decent hotel to stay in Friday night. Is it best to stay close to the Airport (because of traffic issues) or is it ok to venture closer to the SF city? I saw some decent hotels near the Airport but they're all South and I'd rather drive North in the direction of Sonoma. Which hotels would you advise us to stay. Price range is $100-200 with parking facilities.

thanks for any help.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Susan

Go stay in the city. I'd suggest the Embarcadero area. Easy enough to reach from the south and you'll have a number of good restaurants in walking distance. Have a look at the Harbor Court Hotel. From there, you can walk to the Rincon Center and have dim sum at Yank Sing, or sushi at the restaurant Ouzmo adjacent to the hotel, or walk to Boulevard (upscale French) or Red Herring (seafood). Not sure about parking fees, but I'll guess they are less at the Harbor Court than at most of the Union Square hotels. You might end up with a room with a view of the bay and the bay bridge.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Carl

Staying near the airport makes a lot more sense. The traffic in SF is beyond monumental. Most of the airport hotels are within a mile or two of the airport itself.

http://www.san-francisco-sfo.com/

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM
L

if you stay at the hyatt embarcadero, they have cars for rent right there. So you can get tranportation from airport to hotel, may even be a hyatt shuttle, then have dinner at one of those great restaraunts mentioned by Susan, and be on your way in the morning. No need to drive around that evening. The embarcadero is a few minutes away from the hyatt, like four. Easy walk.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:07 PM
KK

The airport area looks like every other airport area. ugly! stay in the city.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Grasshopper

If you're going to Sonoma the next day, stay by the airport. The better hotels are only an exit south of the airport so you won't be doing all that much backtracking. A couple of them are right on the bay with great bay views.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Patrick

Excuse me, but I think the traffic the next morning going from the airport north to the city and beyond to Sonoma will be even worse than when you arrive. So I agree, go stay in the city -- maybe out along Lombard if you want a place under $150 with free parking. Then it is that much easier to go on up to Sonoma the next day. I'd stay at the Cow Hollow/Marinia area, have a nice dinner on Chestnut or Union Street and enjoy what's left of the evening. Then head on out to Sonoma, maybe after a nice breakfast at "the Grove" on Chestnut.
I've stayed by the airport and the hotels were overpriced for what they are, and we couldn't find a decent place to eat.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Iris

You say you're coming in from a long flight on a Friday (traffic is worse) and it will be dark (if you are coming soon). No way would I waste and the $$$ for an extra day of car rental when it's not needed, add the aggravation of driving into an unfamiliar city center which can be hellacious even for those familiar with it, deal with parking a car that won't be used until the next day. Just treat yourself to a nice hotel like the Marriott, Hyatt Regency or Westin -- all within a stone's throw and complimentary shuttle ride of baggage claim. Each of those hotels has a decent restaurant - or walk to Benihana if you choose - or take a cab to downtown Burlingame for many offerings (just across the freeway). Next day, rent your car and, unless you really want to drive through the City, it can be bypassed by taking the San Mateo Bridge and taking another route to Sonoma. Saturday traffic should be ok however.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:16 PM
winelover

<quote>Next day, rent your car and, unless you really want to drive through the City, it can be bypassed by taking the San Mateo Bridge and taking another route to Sonoma. Saturday traffic should be ok however.</quote>

You're advocating the S&M bridge as a way to avoid traffic, are you insane ??? That's the bridge most likely to back up if there is a problem.

Liz! The best advice has already been given. Upon arrival, take a shuttle to one of the SF Embarcadero hotels, get a goodnight's sleep and a rental from there. In the morning you can head up to Wine Country having missed the worst of the traffic with a drive in the free direction across Golden Gate Bridge. (The toll is $5 heading south, you'll pay it on your way back).

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Iris

Aside from me being insane, what's your point winelover? That Saturday traffic on the San Mateo Bridge in intolerabe? I have driven that bridge almost daily for over 20 years and know that it is wide open most Saturdays while the GG may be slow. FYI this is a forum where one person's input is just as valid as the next - it's up to the reader to decide what to value - and it's not the place of any other poster to resort to name calling because their views aren't in sync with another contributor's.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Robert

Liz,

Staying near the airport is by far the most logical thing to do. You can bypass the SF traffic by taking the San Mateo Bridge(Highway 92 East) to 880 North then to 980 East to 580 West, 80 East and 37 West to 12 West. When taking the San Mateo Bridge, 880, 80, etc. you will be going in the opposite direction that the traffic is going.

Driving through SF will necessitate taking 19th Avenue which will be very slow, especially on a Saturday. You are better off taking the freeways.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:07 PM
winelover

Iris, this is indeed a forum where all opinions are valid so let me clarify where I'm coming from.

a) They don't call it the S & M Bridge for nothing. It's two lanes in either direction, it's prone to back up. I've waited in longer waits more regularly on that bridge than any other.

b) while it's true that even *IF* S&M isn't backed up, Liz would still have to go up 880, and deal with the MacArthur Maze in Oakland. Now, in addition to IKEA, the new Bay Street center in Emeryville is really mucking traffic up.
Assuming that Liz DID take Robert's suggestion and go 880 to 980 to 80 (instead of the 80 by-pass) she gets stuck in a traffic snarl that is abysmal, and not well marked to boot.

c) not to mention that this route is not particularly scenic

d) from there she takes 80 to 580 to 101 via the currently underconstruction Richmond-San Rafael bridge ($2 toll) for a total of 5 freeway changes

IF on the other hand she were to take Susan's advice (and by extention mine) She gets to stay in SF, the chance for a nice walk (and dinner if she's up to it) before turning in, she cuts at least 30 minutes off her trek to Sonoma the next day, she gets a scenic drive over the GG Bridge on 101 which is a straight shot up to the Highway 37 turnoff to Sonoma. How is that a worse choice ?

*glug*

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Patrick

I also question the idea of "saving a day's car rental" by waiting until the next morning. Since rentals run by 24 hour periods, unless Liz is turning in the car on departure day very early, there will be no extra charge to pick it up when they arrive Friday night.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Robert

Winelover,

You really need to listen to Iris, she is right on the money. Traffic on the San Mateo Bridge is a breeze on the weekend, especially with the new lanes that are opeing up on the bridge. The new westbound lane is now open, and next month the new eastbound lane will also be open making it three lanes in each direction instead of two. Similarly, traffic on 880 north toward Oakland will not be much of a problem either as most of the trafic is heading south toward San Jose. On the other hand traffic through SF on a Saturday along 19th Avenue through the GG park will be hellish. I have gotten caught in that mess enough times to know to avoid it. I think that Liz is more interested in getting to Sonoma in a reasonable amount of time rather that being stuck in traffic on surface streets breathing exhaust fumes.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Liz

It's Liz again. I'll be going to SF in September, so even at 6pm it will still be light. I checked car rentals and it's actually cheaper to pickup and return the car at the Airport Friday to Wednesday (end of vacation) then it is is to pickup in the city Saturday and return it to the Airport Wedenesday. I'd like to see SF either Saturday morning or Tuesday evening on my way to or from Sonoma. I'm staying in Sonoma 3 nights and SF area 2 nights (the Friday and Tuesday nights). So given that additonal info -- any more advise would be welcome.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Pam

If I read your post correctly you will be staying at the airport Friday evening. Check out the Clarion. We stayed there a few years ago as a "park & fly" on our way out of SF. It was
clean, has comfortable beds,lots of business perks and has a large parking lot. Others can comment on its proximity to restaurants etc.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:22 AM
winelover

I stand by Susan's original advice.

Since it's cheaper to pick your car up on Friday then do so. However, if you want to see SF on Saturday morning wouldn't it be easier to do so if you were already in the city? By staying in the Emarcadero area you avoid parking hassles that you would face if you stayed the night in Burlingame. You can also walk to dinner the night before.

You cannot walk to dinner in Burlingame unless you eat at your hotel. Highway 101 separates the hotels from the area of town that has all the restaurants. There is a street that crosses over the highway, but it is not a safe choice for pedestrians as it is mainly a feeder ramp for the freeway.

Furthermore, staying in downtown SF exempts you from the long trek down 19th avenue that Robert is going on about.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Susan

Wow, how has this managed to turn into such a fiery debate! Liz, of course as you can see, there are basically two camps here. It is ultimately your choice, but I do think as a tourist you will enjoy an evening in the city more than at the airport, and you will enjoy the drive across the Golden Gate bridge more than the drive up the east bay and through Vallejo. Have a look at a map and examine both routes before making your decision. Remember folks, often a new visitor to the area is less interested in the fastest route and more interested in seeing the sights.

We recently had a family gathering in Sonoma and all departed from different spots in the bay area. Those of us who chose to go through SF made it in the same amount of time as those who went across the Bay or San Mateo bridges and north through Vallejo. So, take your pick. Personally, arriving into SFO at 6pm myself, I would opt for dinner at a restaurant in SF over the airport area.

Bonus point, if you stay in the Embarcadero area you can go to the amazing farmer's market held there every Saturday morning, have breakfast at one of the many SF restaurants' booths there (I'll recommend an omelet from the Hayes Street Grill's booth) and pick up some lovely treats for the rest of your trip. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:13 PM
L

more good advice from Susan. However if you do decide to stay at airport, no good restaraunts for dinner or breakfast (do not go for the crepe place in Burlingame that the concerge directed me to). But to give good hotels in that area, my choices would be the Marriot, or Hotel Sofitel. I would still take the shuttle to embarcadero hyatt.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Pam

Well..checking back over this post I would have to agree with Susan. If you are going to come to SF do check out the area she suggested. You will be right across the street from the Farmer's Market which is a great one! (And you won;t have to park which can be maddening). You will also be a relatively short distance from the entry to the Golden Gate Bridge...and voila Sonoma!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -