San Francisco

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 04:37 AM
Amy

San Francisco

I have the opportunity to visit San Francisco for 1 1/2 days. What are the "must see" places I should visit? Would it be best to not have a rental car?
Thanks

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Greg

Dear Amy; It would take over a week to see most of the "must see" sights in SFO. I would recommend the Wok-Whiz eating tour of Chinatown. It takes 1/2 a day. Then stroll from Chinatown down Columbus to North Beach, the home of the Beatniks. You can stop at the park near St. Peter & Pauls Cathedral and rest or continue down Columbus to Fishermans Wharf for a view of Alcatraz, the seals, and the Bay. This would finish up the rest of the day. For a half a day go to see Pacific Heights for views of the Bay and Victorian mansions. I dont recommend renting any cars because parking is so hard to find in SFO.
Good luck, Greg

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Ruth

Definitely do not get a car--you won't use it. When you're near St. Peter's & Paul's in North Beach, go up the hill to Coit Tower and up in the tower--you get a great view from there. You can walk or get a city bus. Do a search for San Francisco on this forum and you'll get lots of other ideas.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Parrot Mom

May I suggest you take a Greyline Tour of S.F. and the area and then go back to something you'd like.. Also, taxis are so inexpensive a car isn't necessary unless your going down to Carmel or the wine country..

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Barrie

I would highly recommend taking the boat over to Alcatraz to tour the prison. The audio tour is definitely worth the extra $$ and the views from the island are spectacular. Don't forget to ride the cable cars - the lines will be long but it's worth the wait and they move pretty fast. Have fun - San Francisco is such a great city!