Search

San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 1999, 05:30 AM
Flora

San Francisco

Ideas for this weekend in SF?
Love the outdoors; like to wine and dine; like to sitesee.
Is Angel Island and Alcatraz a must-see? Been to isle (?name) next to bridge; and been to wharf already.
Is MC2 a good restaurant as indicated in NYTimes. Thanks!

Old May 21st, 1999, 06:11 AM
Paul Rabe

Alcatraz is fascinating if you're interested in a part of Americana, or want to see where some of our most notorious criminals ended up at.

Old May 21st, 1999, 07:20 AM
Bernard

Angel Island is a good place to picnic. Alcatraz is fun, a piece of Americana. My recommendation (if possible) is take a side trip to the vineyards in the Sonoma/Napa valley. If you like to wine and dine in beautiful settings that's the place to go. If you can't get out of SF try Ghiardelli square and the cannery for sightseeing (shops & eateries).My favorite restaurant is Alliotos on the wharf.
Enjoy!

Old May 21st, 1999, 08:32 AM
michele

My sister was in SF a few months ago and got the last ticket to see Alcatraz and couldn't get to Angel's Island. Both are very popular, so plan in advance! You also might enjoy a side trip to Sausalito--very picturesque. As for wining and dining, check GOURMET or anyother reputable food magazine for the latest places. Personally, I'd avoid the wharf restaurants...mediocre and overpriced.

Old May 21st, 1999, 06:37 PM
Diane

We liked LuLu at 816 Folsum St
(415)495-5775 It's busy, interesting menu, good wine list (that's hard NOT to find in SF). You probably need a reservation. Take a cab there, they'll call one for you when it's time to go. This place is convenient to the convention center (it is SOMA - south of Market), but definately a cab from Union Square area.

Old May 21st, 1999, 06:43 PM
Barry

Flora-
If u go to Alcatraz (recommended) make sure you rent tape player from there. The commentary enhances trip immensely
(and dress in layers!)

Old May 22nd, 1999, 12:29 PM
Bob

I live in the Bay Area. Book Alcatraz in advance, usually 3 - 4 days is enough. Interesting tour. Good scenic spot is on the west side of Golden Gate Bridge. Drive up that road and you are looking back to the City and out to the ocean. Napa also great. Plenty to see. We found that Francis Ford Coppola's winery to be interesting---Niebaum Coppola. He has all his awards stored there and grounds are beautiful. He bought the winery in 1972 with the money he made making the Godfather movie. Any other questions, email me. You will enjoy our City.