Reload this Page >

San Francisco - 2 hotel choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Megan

I am visiting San Francisco in July and currently have reservations at 2 hotels, the Chancellor Hotel and the King George Hotel. Does anyone have any recommendations on either of these hotels? Any information (positive or negative) is appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Megan

Some additional info:
King George is located at 334 Mason @ Geary and Chancellor is located at 433 Powell.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Phil

Reviews from Travelocity.com:

The King George Hotel

Built in 1914 for the Panama-Pacific Exhibition (when rooms went for $1 per night), the utterly delightful King George has fared well over the years, continuing to draw a mostly European clientele. The location--surrounded by cable-car lines, the Theater District, Union Square, and dozens of restaurants--is superb, and the rooms are surprisingly quiet for such a busy location. Although rooms can be small, a recent renovation has made the most of the space with new mattresses, desks, data ports, Nintendo, voicemail, and a handsome study-like ambience. All are meticulously neat and clean with full private bathrooms with hair dryers and lovely amenities. A big hit since it started a few years back is the hotel's English afternoon tea, served above the lobby in the Windsor Tea Room Wednesday to Sunday from 3 to 6:30pm. Breakfast, also served in the tea room, runs from $6.50 for continental to $8 for the full deal.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Daniel

I've stayed at both, and the Chancellor is definitely your best bet. They are similar in size, but the location of the Chancellor (though very near the King George), along with the overall quality is a MUCH better choice. That is, if you don't mind hearing the clanking of cable car bells outside. The Chancellor is my favorite in SF, and I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt and many other Union Square spots.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:47 AM
Deena

The Chancellor is in a better location. I've stayed there and enjoyed the hotel. Warning, though...the rooms in the front are subject to the cable car sounds. We kind of found that charming since it contributed to the whole San Francisco experience.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 11:24 AM
kam

Thank you, Deena, for being a tourist who likes the sound of the cable cars! It wouldn't be SF without them after all. Megan, I too would recommend the Chancellor from all the great reviews it's received here on this forum.