San Fran - Your Top Restaurants, Please

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Fran - Your Top Restaurants, Please

Part of settling in is finding the truly great places to eat (not necessarily the priciest). We have favorites for every opportunity to drive into the city, but we'd love to get some other opinions. Just happens guests are coming and must be entertained ... this would be an opportune time to hear your top picks, so we can compare notes and perhaps discover some new restaurants. Thanks in advance, and ciao.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You will hopefully get numerous responses. Our experience was the pricier the meal, the worse it was! We had some pricey disappointing meals in SF. LoveItaly gave us a great recommendation in North Beach of the Mona Lisa. It is a simple small italian place with very good italian food for a reasonable price. We ate there twice! Since I noticed your ciao, I don't know if you are interested in eating italian food in SF. I will save exotice restaurant recommendations for the more daring on the board.
We did eat in several places that would be considered tourist traps. Hopefully the locals can give you more recommendations!
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:19 AM

R&G Lounge at Commercial Street (near Clay) and Kearny in Chinatown. They have the best Chinese food and great seafood. I would recommend the Peking Duck. Somewhat expensive.

Harbor Village at the Embarcadero 4 building has good dim sum, moderately expensive depending on what you order.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:38 AM

My very favorites:

Boulevard: (yes, pricey, but worth it.

Farallon: also pricey, but so comfortable, interesting food, and a great cheese tray (which I prefer over dessert).

Beetlenut: lots of fun, tasty food, and inexpensive to moderate.

Moose's: Supper club feel with music, lots of "buzz" and good food at reasonable prices.

Kuleto's: great breakfasts and super for late night or after theatre.

The Slanted Door: I suspect this would be one of my favorites if I could ever get in. They even told me when to call and how to get a reservation or a table and it still didn't work.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM

One of our favorite places to eat in the city is Ti Couz. Crepes, crepes and more crepes! It is a fun, livley and friendly place.

A real surprise for us was the great food at Citizen Cake on Grove Street just down from the Civic Center. I'd go back again. A good choice for a pre concert/opera dinner as it is close to both Davies Symphony Hall and the Opera House.

A perrenial favorite is Boulevard.

-Bill

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all ... great suggestions! Boulevard is terrific, as are all the others ... we've been to 99%, and it's nice to hear others raves as we do. May I ask about these few ... any experience? Mina's in the St. Francis; Tadich Grill; Cortez; Delfina's. Thanks again, and ciao.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:51 AM

We had dinner once at Delfina. The mood was somber, the service was extremely slow as about half the staff didn't show up that night. The food was so-so, and we understood the regular chef wasn't there. But why? The night was 9/11/2001 -- so I hold no stock in my own review. Sometime we need to go back!

Excuse me for repeating this story, but I had a very good lunch with my partner and his family at Tadich Grill a few years ago. The five of us spent something like $300 (or was it closer to $500, I forget?), as we had a couple good bottles of wine, and four of the five of us had full meals, appetizers, desserts, etc. We were very insulted when they added an extra charge of something like $20 because my partner's mother didn't feel well and only ordered soup and that didn't meet the "minimum per person" requirement. One could even suggest that one of the appetizers for the table and her soup would have put her over the minimum which the rest of us all well exceeded. We found that outrageous and spoke to the manager who snottily said something like "that's our policy and that's the way it is". We won't be going back.

Is Mina's on the first floor facing the street? If so, yes we ate there last year after a show. It was OK, but we both said we should have gone to Kuleto's instead.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Great info - those names were just scratched out. Thanks!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 09:27 AM

Hi RnRforever, another restaurant I always enjoy at Union Sq. is Scala's on Powell St., (attached to the Sir Francis Drake Hotel). If you want a great lunch that is not filling their mussel's in a wine broth and garlic fries are fantastic. Great dinners also Always enjoy eating there. Their website is www.scalasbistro.com if you want to check out their menu etc.

However, I just read that the SirFrancisDrake & Scala's has been sold by the Kimpton Group although they will continue to manage it and that renovations will be started soon on the hotel and possibly the bar section of Scala's will be expanded so you might want to check to make sure that won't be going on.

Everyone always seems to love Kuleto's for breakfast.

I have never been able to get a reservation at the Slanted Door either.

The GrandCafe has a good reputation and a lovely restaurant.

I like Moose's also and always enjoy the MonaLisa, both are in North Beach.

Tadich's-I have had some wonderful meals there but their staff is old and crusty and I am disgusted with the way Patrick and his group were treated. But not shocked.

If your guest like some night life Harry Denton's Starlight room is on the top floor of the Sir Francis Drake hot. Also the Mark Hopkins is a fun place for a cocktails and some appetizers. Faina here recently went to The Tonga Room (on Calif. St., at the Fairmont Hotel) and enjoyed it. That might be a fun visit with your guest. It is an old SF instituion.

If you want a casual and quick lunch while showing your guest the Union Sq. area the Italian caffe (can never remember the name) at the east end of Union Sq. has wonderful sandwiches and various drinks including a lot from Italy. Inexpensive and good clean food. The line moves very fast and it is fun to sit at one of the outdoor tables and people watch. Great place for just coffee, wine or whatever also.

The remodeled Cliff House would be a great place for a cocktail but I wouldn't bother eating a meal there.

Have fun with your guest, lucky them!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 09:44 AM

Re: St. Francis....did Mina's replace the Compass Rose bar. I loved having afternoon tea and champagne there after shopping at Gumps, etc.

LMF
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM

Uh-oh. Don't cross out Delfina because of what I said. Everybody loves the place. I told my story hoping you'd understand that what happened in a restaurant on the night of 9/11 probably had NOTHING to do with any normal night there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
SAB

In no particular order:

Delfina's, Plouf, La Suite, Chez Papa, Quince, Foreign Cinema, Clementine's, Chapeau, Boulevard, Sam's Grill, Chow, A 16, Paul K, Incanto, Acquerello are just the tip of my list.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Two spots that maybe others can name for me. The first I think might be the one LoveItaly mentions. On the far side of Union Square away from the hotel, on an alley kind of street. It's delightful Italian food that you pick from a cafeteria style line. Both indoor and outdoor seating, sometimes live music outside. A real find (if only I knew the name of it).

The other spot is also an alleyway, but in the financial district with a number of restaurants side by side. I want to say 'B44' as one of them? These are all small, stylish, narrow places, most with some seating outdoors. Anyone??
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 11:50 AM

We had an excellent meal at Farallon last month. Beautiful decor, great seafood and very nice service. They even gave us a complimentary glass of wine because our server thought the food wasn't coming out fast enough. Save room for the yummy desserts there. Make sure you get a table in the main pool room, it's beautiful. ***kim***
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM

Hi suze, I know the restaurant you mean. It is in Maiden Lane which runs east to west just east of Union Square and yes there are often musicians in Maiden Lane. Maiden Lane is off of Stockton (which is the north/south street on the east side of Union Sq. Maiden Lane is between Geary & Post. The restaurant you are talking about is about half way done Maiden Lane on the right hand size Suze. I don't think I have ever even looked at the name of this place. The other cafe is right in Union Sq. (the east end) and that is the one I originally referred to. If you are in SF try it out, think you will like it.

And Plouf's in Belden Lane (or do they call it Bedlen Alley) is fantastic. There are other restaurant's there also but I always eat at Plouf's and order their mussels in garlic. However be sure you love garlic if you order this dish. You then will not want to stand to close to anyone afterwards, LOL.

LilMissFodie, yes, sigh, unfortunatly Mina's replaced the Compass Room at the St. Francis Hotel. Another SF institution that is no more. Sounds like you loved it like I did. Mina's not only took over the Compass Room they completely changed the decor of the St. Francis lobby. It now looks like a Holiday Inn lobby. It is really sad.

And SAB, Sam's Grill! Don't know why I didn't think of them. Good recommendation. There are so many restaurants/cafes in SF that one could eat out every day for ages and not visit all of them.

There are good restaurants in ChinaTown but I can't eat Asian food anymore so no uptodates about the selection. And the Mission District has lot of places too but again I never go there so can't personally comment on them but restaurant reveiws in the SF Chronical has sure recommended several.

One other thought. In NorthBeach at 622 Green St (just onehalf block east of Columbus) is an Irish restaurant called O'Reilly's (sp?). I have not eaten there (use to go to the same place for decades when it was an Italian restaurant) but I have always heard very good thing about this restaurant so that might be somewhere to check out. They are suppose to have a fantastic lamb stew.

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks - you guys are terrific. I'm printing it all and keeping it handy for my forays into the city. Ciao.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 03:40 AM

My last few trips to SF area have centered on Marin county and wine country. I'm sorry to read about the St. Francis' renovation giving the Compass Rose room the axe. Fortified with breakfast at Sears (which I know is gone also), a day at Gumps, the lovely shops up the hill from St. Francis and Niemans always ended with tea at the Compass Rose. I preferred staying in the new tower there. Fabulous views.

It has been about 4 years I think but I loved Farallon. great seafood, over the top interior.

No one mentioned Gary Danko. Is it too trendy or no longer "in"?

Please do not tell me that the Swan Oyster Depot is gone. LMF
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:39 AM

Actually I thought Sears changed hands but reopened the same as always. But I haven't had breakfast there since I discovered Kuleto's.
And yes, the Swan Oyster Depot is STILL there, or was last year anyway.
I have yet to hear much good about Gary Danko. SF friends of mine thought it was simply awful and normally I'd think they'd rave about anything trendy and in even if they were served dogfood. When they went, it was the "hottest" restaurant in SF, so for them not to like seemed like a major black mark to me.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Googled Sears Fine Foods and see it reopened last year.

Regarding Gary Danko: Someone whose taste I admire prefers Gary Danko to French Laundry. I was certainly impressed with it several years ago.

The wine list is wonderful and there are some very good values and otherwise unobtainable wines on it . I think his cheese selections are about the best anywhere.

LMF
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thnaks to all, and an early a.m. happy 4th to everyone. Ciao

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -