San Diego with kids next summer

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 03:27 AM
gail

San Diego with kids next summer

Time to start dreaming about next summer. Have never been to San Diego. Will be going with husband and kids - ages 12 and 16. Hotels, things to do? Is it worth taking a day trip to Mexico to say we have been there?

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 04:01 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Gail, you're thinking like me. I haven't been there yet, but I'm hearing enough good things to have scheduled a scouting mission for November. I'll be interested in seeing the responses you get, so I'm putting it on top for you!

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 09:20 AM
Joe

There are numerous San Diego threads, try searching for "San Diego" "kids" and you will find wealth of information. Also, search for "tijuana" or "mexican border towns" for quite a variety of opinions (including mine) on day trips.

Jim, How fortunate you are to schedule a pre-vacation scout trip.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Terry

I never stay at a hotel so can't recommend anything, but visit there often. As for things to do in the summer or anytime.

Zoo, SeaWorld, WildAnimal Park are all very good, but crowded in summer.
Balboa Park Museums
Padre Games
Coronado Island
Harbor Cuise
The ferry to Coronado Island at sunset
Harbor Cruise
Pt. Loma
Old Town for an evening
Horton Plaza
Torrey Pines State Reserve
Theres the boardwalk with carnival rides on the beach. I believe at the west end of fwy 8.

As for Tiajuana, I found most don't like it here at Fodors, but we usually go once a year with our daughter, now 19. It is a second world country and it is dirty, there are allot of beggars, but it's different and we like to expose her to different things. Don't drink the water. Go during the day. We usually get cokes at the local taco restaurants or Jack in the Box on Revolucion. There's also a Hard Rock Cafe on Revolucion though I have never been. If you are into resort only vacationing you will probably not like it. If you give a hand out beware you will have a crowd of children pressed up against you asking for more and getting into you purse. It can be very sad. We take the SD trolley to the border and walk across with all the other Americans and then follow the crowd to the main drag Revolucion about a mile. There is also public parking at the border and a McDonalds on the east side of the fwy. Lots of trinkets and stuff, great wool blankets just make sure you open then up all the way so you know you are really getting the size they are telling you and barter.

If you have a car and want to get out of town. Try Julian. Also Campo about 2 hrs away, has a railroad museum with a train ride that's really wonderful.

There are allot of other posts about things to do in San Diego here at Fodors but also check out books at the local bookstore on things that might interest you. Have you kids help in the quest.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Dawn Ct.

We are planning our San Diego trip for April. I found www.localwally.com to be a great web site. We have settled on Coronado Island. We will stay at the Hotel Del for the two nights they have available and move to the Coronado Island Marriott. We will visit WAP, the zoo and Sea World and probably limit our Mexico experience to Old Town. With only five days, our time will be limited.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Eileen

Check out www.signonsandiego.com for local info - it is a site of the Union Tribune (San Diego's paper).

There are a million and one hings to do in SD and one suggestion for an extended stay would be to rent a house on the beach (or near it) in the Mission Beach area of town. This way, you have great beach access, are close to some things the kids would like and within reasonable driving distance to many tourist attractions (Sea World, SD Zoo, Balboa Park, Mission Bay, La Jolla, etc.)

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Kevin

Terry: You said that you don't stay at hotels in San Diego. I'm looking for a condo to rent in November. Any ideas?