San Diego with elderly

Jul 17th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

San Diego with elderly

I get to travel to San Diego in August with the cutest 99 year old lady!! I need suggestions on where to stay. She is pretty concerned about safety and would like to be able to walk around at night. We are thinking of downtown area to stay, but are still undecided. We won't have a car, so someplace that is easy to find transportation take us to all the attractions. For 99 she gets around really well, she is amazing. We are going to visit Sea World, the Zoo (I will get her a wheel chair at these places) and she wants to take a boat ride and see the beach. Any other suggestions for places to see?
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM

http://www.stridesd.org/
You may find this helpful, esp the "useful links". Also you may need to plan in advance to be able to use some of the servcies.(Note the ElderCareResources site)
San Diego is not easy without a car and add disabled to it and you will need advance planning.

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

If she can get up the Trolley steps, this would be your best bet without a car. Check the bottem of the page re: SEAL tours for a boat ride...again has to navigate steps.

http://www.seaworld.com/SitePage.aspx?PageID=89
Seaworld has a guest relations link at the bottem of the page if you need questions answered. You will likely need a cab to get there, unless you can use STRIDE servcies above or can find a hotel that has a tour bus.
Be sure go early; they give out wrist bands for first come first serve for the brand new and spectacular Dolphin show...it is hot now so be sure to plan shade stops. Seaworld has their own very qualified nurses and paramedics on site: would rec you think about which healthcare servcies would be best in case something happens.Ask any Seaworlsd TEam member & they will access Security/medical aid for you if you need help.
Jul 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM

San Diego is a very spread out place.
With a car, this is a bad idea.
Without a car.....
God bless you.

HTTY
Jul 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM

I get to travel to San Diego in August with the cutest 99 year old lady!!
__________________________________________________ ___________
How fun!
We stay in San Diego often and I have never felt threatened. However, recently, I read on Trip Advisor that 'some' people were uncomfortable in the East Village area. I saw ONE homeless drunk urinating in the alley when we stayed there. Homeless are not a threat to me.
Since you won't have a car and have a vibrant 99 year old along, I'm going to suggest either Gaslamp area or Seaport Village; the reason being the trolley stops are nearby in case she gets tired of walking. Also, in the Gaslamp, the trolley stop is very close to the Hard Rock cafe and hotel, which caters to a very young crowd. Over the 4th of July, the gals waiting in line to get in, were in bikinis and heels. So maybe a couple of blocks back? OR maybe your travel friend would love it!
The 'downtown' area has a trolley stop by Union Station but it feels removed to me.
AND she might really enjoy the seasonal Del Mar racetrack event. Something locals look forward to all year long. You can grab the coaster train from Union Station in downtown to Del Mar.
Please DO report back. That will be a wonderful story to hear!
Jul 17th, 2010, 08:39 AM

stangergirls:

Do you know about http://www.sandiego.org the official tourist information website. Great resource and lots of information.

Come back and tell us how long you will have in San Diego? Do you need a room with 2 beds and is there a budget?

Are you from a land locked area? If so, you may like to stay close by the water.

Welcome to Fodors.

Sandy