san diego--where to stay?

Sep 14th, 1999, 10:35 AM
judy

san diego--where to stay?

We would like to visit San Diego at the end of the month. We don't want to rent a car, so would like to find a hotel that provides a shuttle from the airport and would like to get around town walking or taking public transportation. Which are should we stay in? Old Town? Mission Valley? What is Hotel Circle? We like historical sights, shopping, don't really care about spending much time at the beach, but like to see the ocean. Any help will be appreciated. thanks

Sep 14th, 1999, 06:45 PM
Mike

Although it doesn't provide shuttle service, the La Mesa Country Inn in La Mesa is very inexpensive and very clean and well-maintained. It's a great choice.

Hotel Circle is a circular road with about 20 different hotels.

Sep 15th, 1999, 07:42 AM
Emily

I'm afraid it will be pretty hard to enjoy yourself in San Diego without a car. Our attractions are widespread and our public transportation system is poor. Hotel Circle has plenty of hotels but is not within walking distance of anything but some shopping malls. I would suggest that you stay in the Gaslamp or Embarcadero area; that way you'd get the history, shopping, ocean and maybe a free airport shuttle. But you'd still be missing out A LOT without a car.

Sep 15th, 1999, 11:32 AM
Caryn

Emily is right. Went to SD in July and wouldn't haven't gotten to see hardly anything w/o the car. If you don't know how to drive, stay in the downtown/Gaslamp area. Then you will be able to walk where Emily has already mentioned and to Balboa Park and the SD Zoo--a must see. I stayed in a small hotel called La Pensione in the "little Italy" section (it was VERY little). It was very nice, clean, with fridge and microwave. Only $50/night!!

Sep 15th, 1999, 07:25 PM
david

i would also suggest the gaslamp/embarcadero area. historical section of San Diego; walk to Horton Plaza which has Downtown shopping (shops not necessarily unique, but a very nice downtown complex). This area, being downtown is near the train station where you can take a ride on the COASTER which is a commuter like train that goes up the coast to and from SanDiego. You can ride to all the resort towns north of San Diego which are right on the beach. Also, from the downtown area your a short cab ride to Balboa park which has, beside the zoo, the art gallery, flight and science museums etc. I would suggest staying away from Hotel Circle, which is located in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the interstate with many motels which cater to families who head to san diego for the beach etc. I dont know about Mission Valley, but going by its name i would guess it is a suburban valley area far from the water.
enjoy you trip

Sep 16th, 1999, 06:36 AM
paul

Judy - with all due respect to Mike, La Mesa would be the wrong choice in your situation. It is too far away. I agree with downtown or Embarcadero. Your choice of location may depend on your price range of accomadations. You may want to post what you had in mind. I don't agree that you definitely need a car to enjoy San Diego. With the trolley, train and bus system you can get to many of the sights you want to see. Public transportation can be accessed from Old Town, Mission Valley or downtown. Old Town is might be a nice choice for you because its historical, central and reasonably priced. You can use the trolley to go many places from there.

Sep 16th, 1999, 10:25 AM
Lisa

Good Question, I wished someone had answered that for me, I just came back from my first 4 day trip yesterday, I went with my husband and 2 kids under 4! (whew!).

First, I agree with above I highly recommend a car for you everything is spread out over town.

We stayed at the Pacific Terrace at PACIFIC Beach, it lies amoung the Capri, Crystal pier inns etc.. if you
are someone who enjoys a beach scene filled with young college age kids,
surfers skateboards along the
the beach front walk and fun resturants this place is for you, (it wasn't for my family- we had trouble keeping our kids from getting hit by really fast skate boards.. the young people are at a fast-action pace there and the surfers are everywhere..

Coronado area if you can afford is "nice" I saw that the Glorietta Inn was in a very nice location, close to beaches shops and all the historical stuff, it looked like a prime location but not at the prices of the big named hotels, others La Avenida, Villa Capri but I know little about these hotels.

My favorite for a trip in the future was the HYATT Regency San Diego, for the more mature traveller, it is close
to sea port village, lots of places to walk to and wonderful restuarants, of course a little pricey but what a location and what a nice hotel.. my recommendation..

Sep 16th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Lisa

I'd like to add..Hotel Circle is divided by a busy freeway, expect to hear it!

Sep 18th, 1999, 10:41 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego. You haven't mentioned price so I will assume that is not a major consideration.

First, I do NOT recommend La Mesa nor Hotel Circle. Both areas are not near any tourist destination nor walking areas. The best locations are as mentioned by others. Downtown San Diego is excellent. There are some great hotels and it is a great area to walk in. You can walk along the waterfront, Gaslamp area, Horton Plaza, Seaport village etc. You can take a ferry to Coronado Island and walk to the Hotel Del Coronado. Take the official ferry from the foot of Broadway right next to the pier. There are tours you can take and fairly easy transportation to Balboa Park and the Zoo. You will need to rent a car to visit all of the attractions but downtown allows you to see a lot by walking.

My choice would probably be the Embassy Suites in downtown San Diego by Seaport Village. There are many other excellent hotels but that would be my first preference.

Another excellent choice is the Hotel Del Coronado though there is not as much to see within walking distance. Of course you can always take the ferry to downtown San Diego.