San Diego w/out a Car?

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 03:24 PM
Noah

San Diego w/out a Car?

Are there safe places to live in San Diego where you can get around without a car?

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 09:18 PM
Tara

For sure, there are lots of "safe" places to live without a car. Just what do you plan to be able to do without one?

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 12:20 AM
SDSam

You have to offer some more information as to what you are specifically looking for.

San Diego is a very large spread out city. For the most part it is a very safe city. It has the lowest crime rate of the 10 largest cities in the US. San Diego is the 6th largest.

There are many quote "safe areas" where a car may not be necessary. Public transportation does exist in San Diego. Primarily there is a bus system plus the San Diego Trolley. There are also express busses from many of the surrounding cities and areas into downtown. Whether the public transporatation will suit your needs depends on what your needs are.

Having said all of that, my personal opinion is that the public transportaion system is somewhat lacking. One generally requires a car except in unusual circumstances.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 07:55 AM
Noah

Thank you for the replies.

SDSam, I was hoping to see you here, thanks.

Here is the story: I need a relatively -affordable studio or 1-bedroom apartment (by Brooklyn standards, under $800 a month) in a safe neighborhood. I need to be able to get to the follwoing fairly easily without a car:

-basic grocery shopping
-doctor's offices
-a laundrymat which does the laundry for you (here in Brooklyn it's about .55 per lb.) or which would pick-up and deliver

I am also considering the Miami area.

Thanks for any info.

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 10:19 PM
Wendy

You should consider living in Hillcrest. It's a very safe, friendly community with tons of amenties within walking distance. When you're checking out places, be sure to ask how close you are to University Ave. (a main road with most of the services you'll need). Also, there are 3 major hospitals within walking distance. I'd recommend streets between First and Seventh Avenues. FYI...Hillcrest has a reputation for being gay-friendly. It's definitely a mix of gay and straight people, but it is more tolerant than the rest of San Diego, which is a bit conservative. Also, you can certainly get a studio/1-bedroom apartment in this area for less than $800.