San Diego to Grand Canyon drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to drive from San Diego to the Grand Canyon in December and have a a few questions:

1. Is it feasible to drive such a distance?
2. How long should I plan?
3. What is the best route?

thanks in advance
Bhupesh
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Freetrip.com shows 547 miles, 8:02 time.
I-15 north to I-215 north ti I-15 To I-40 east. East onI-40 to rte 64 north.
Continue to US 180 and turn west on 180
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:39 AM

ronkala,

US 180? I also think that the time will depend on the traffic when you are near the L.A. area (i.e. Riverside and Ontario)

If you want to stay away from the L. A. Freeways you might like taking I-8 east to El Centro, Hwy 86 to Brawley and then Hwy 78 to Blyth. You will pass some really awsome sand dunes. Then take Hwy 95 north to Needles. I-40 to Williams and then Hwy 64 to the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon. This route is 535 miles but will take about 9 hours.

If you find you have the time, then from Needles to Kingman take old Route 66 past Oatman.

If you do go to the Grand Canyon, I would get a every early start, but it can be driven in one long day.

Utahtea

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM

We made drive from South Rim of Grand Canyon to San Diego this summer. I would not want to drive it in one day - but I guess it could be done. We spent one night in Yuma, AZ - home of the cheapest hotel rooms I have ever experienced.

Depends on how you feel about driving long, flat distances. At one point our son observed that it would be possible to fall asleep at the wheel, wake up 5 minutes later and still be on the road. While some scenery through Arizona is nice, most is flat and brown. Then when you cross the mountains west of Yuma, the roads start to wind, sharp drop-offs on road in several places. It is not a trip I would do with one driver in one day - too much fatigue factor - but if you can switch drivers and would rather push the travel time, go for it.

One further note - not many places to stop for food, gas, or a break in some parts of Arizona. Plan accordingly.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Thanks Utahtea, I'll check it on the map. We'll be leaving San Diego for GC on a Sunday morning, and I-215 looks like it bypasses the LA area. We also have reservations in the canyon, so whether it's an eight or nine hour trip doesn't matter.
A week or so later we will be leaving Hanksville for Monument Valley and on down to Kayenta. When leaving Kayenta for Moab, would you suggest backtracking on rt 163 through Bluff, or 160 east to 191 north through Bluff?

Gail, thankyou for the tip about food and gas in Az. We will be driving through it on the way west to San Diego.

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 10:40 PM

To Ronkala,

I've been on that section of Hwy 160 many times but I've never been on that part of Hwy 191. This route is only 7 miles longer.

If it was just a choice of Hwy 163 and Hwy 160 then I would take Hwy 163 hands down. The drive thought Monument Valley is so spectacular and I love driving that section...probably why we've never done Hwy 191.

If you take Hwy 191...you have to come back and tell me about it!

Utahtea
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 05:00 AM

You might consider flying SD to Phoenix and driving from there. Southwest is pretty cheap on that route. Of course you'd also have the expense of a rental car - but the drive is a LOT easier. If the budget won't allow for flying/renting a car -- leave very early in the AM if you want to arrive at the Grand Canyon during daylight.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 06:07 AM
kkj

The flight from San Diego to Phoenix is a good idea, but there are lots of things to consider. You have to drive to the San Diego airport, need to be there about an hour before flight, take an hour flight, wait for luggage in Phoenix, take car shuttle to rental place, pay high Phoenix car rental taxes. You could easily take four hours doing this. Or, you could get a cheaper rental car and take a six hour drive to Phoenix. The drive is less pressure and for the short time difference it could be a better option.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Sure it's feasible to drive to the Grand Canyon from San Diego. It's also feasible to drive to Tierra del Fuego (highly reccomended!!) if you really wanted to as well.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 11:20 AM
GoTravel

While I was in college, my boyfriend and I drove across country from South Carolina to California.

Driving through the desert, it was so wide, flat, desolate, and void of other vehicles, we played spades and board games.

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks for your replies.

We're planning to make the trip on Saturday 27 December. What are the road conditions like at this time of year? Hopefully we can get there during daylight, what time does it get dark around the Grand Canyon?
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 07:36 AM

bhupesh,

You will have about 10 hours of daylight at this time of the year. You can check sunrise and sunset times here:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

Utahtea