San Diego Restaurants

Aug 5th, 1999, 05:23 PM
alan

San Diego Restaurants

I will be visiting San Diego in late September with my wife and a 5 year old, staying in the Mission Bay area. Am thinking about eating at the Fish Market or Point Loma Seafood, also El Indio or Old Town Mexican Cafe. How are these selection? Any recommendations for a casual Italian restaurant and a good breakfast spot. Appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Aug 6th, 1999, 06:05 AM
paul

Point Loma Seafoods is GREAT. Fish Market is very busy with tourists; the food is good and the location is excellent. OTMC is has seen better days but is still popular. Expect to long waits. El Indio is overrated. Try El Ranchero on La Jolla Blvd - local favorite. For casual but outstanding dining eat on the outside patio at Georges in La Jolla. Much less expensive than the inside restaurant but same quality of food. For italian, try Piatti at La Jolla Shores.

Aug 6th, 1999, 04:49 PM
alan

Paul, thanks for your comments. Will be sure to try Point Loma Seafood and one of your recommendations when we are in La Jolla.

Aug 7th, 1999, 06:30 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego. I can't comment on seafood as I do not eat it. However for Mexican food, I heartily recommend Miguel's Cocina. There are 2 of them. One is in Coronado and the other is at Shelter Island ( Point Loma area ). They are both excellent with great food, good service and reasonably priced. They are very popular with local San Diegans and tourists that know about them. If you do go to Miguel's, ask for the cheeze salsa with your chips. It is free but they only serve it if asked. It is great. I do agree with the previous poster about El Indio. It is kind of a San Diego institution but is highly overated. The Old Mexico Cafe is Old Town is quite good. They serve hand made corn tortillas that are absolutely great.

I also recommend the Dakota Grill on the corner of E and 5th in the Gaslamp area of downtown San Diego. It is California cuisine and is very good. The Gaslamp area has 80+ restaurants.

Aug 9th, 1999, 02:59 PM
alan

SDSam, Just saw your message and I appreciate your input. I think we will try the Old Town Mexican Cafe since it is near our hotel and my son will enjoy their fresh tortillas. Looking forward to a great stay in San Diego.

Aug 11th, 1999, 08:30 AM
cherie

Excellent Greek place near Horton Plaza/ They're in the phone book....Athens Gardens or Anthenian Village or something.