Search

SAN DIEGO NIGHTLIFE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAN DIEGO NIGHTLIFE

Going to San Diego for the first time in April with my girlfriend, we're 27/24 yrs old and looking for some fun bars, lounges or clubs. Not interested in "techno" clubs as much as fun bars/lounges.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM

There's an upscale, swanky lounge at the top of the Hyatt downtown. Stunning view and very comfy chairs/couches. I don't do this anymore (kids put a damper on these things), but lots of the locals bar-hop in the Gaslamp District. There is a wide variety to choose from; someone else will have to give you more specifics.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Not really looking for swanky clubs but thanks for the suggestions, the Gaslamp District sounds like fun. Is there anyone else out there that can give me more ideas or specifics?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:45 AM

Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach is wall-to-wall bars of all sorts for the university and post-college crowd.

Depending on your timing, you may get a lot of spring breakers which may or may not be what you're looking for.

Newport Avenue in Ocean Beach is smaller with 4-5 bars and a more earthy, slightly older crowd than PB. Less tourists in OB -- but then again, most twenty-somethings in SD are from somewhere else.

let me know if you have any more questions ...
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Scurry, are there any bars/clubs by name that you know of that are good?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:20 AM

What kind of bars do you like?

Dive bars, Sportsbars, night clubs, danceclubs, live music venues?

You've mentioned lounges a couple of times -- what kind of lounge? A 50/60's feel, crowded, tattoos/piercings, mellow velvet, etc.?

Personally, I'm a dive bar connoiseur, so you'll have to take my recommendations with a grain of salt (w/lime & tequilla)!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

more of like a night club/live music type bar. Places with a good size crowd of 20 somethings.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:57 AM

Well, in PB, you might want to start at the PB Tavern and then work your way towards the beach. There are literally dozens of bars of all types and sizes -- all will be crowded with 20-somethings.

In OB, I think the Sunshine Company is the most fun & it's right in the middle of a whole block of bars.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM

For sure the Belly Up in Solana Beach!
I spend quite a few evenings here http://www.bellyupcantina.com/
You can take the coaster up from San Diego and it drops you off within stumbling distance

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

where are the rest of my fellow bar-hoppers? I thought this thread would've generated more reponses, next round on me!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:25 PM

Stephen -- when in April will you be down there?

We could meet up for a beer!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM

Don't you just love this site?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM

Well, for locals there is always the Pennant in South Mission. If you are in to Beach bums. Nick's at the beach looks nice and World Famous often gets a crowd.

On NYE we wound up in a piano bar at the Westgate Hotel and made many new friends. Great talent goes there to sing, drink, and have a grand time.

Dobsons by Horton Plaza is a great place for a martini, lovely bar, nice people.

La Jolla has a few. Love George's roof top and the middle bar, can't think of the name of it. Have chatted up quite a few nice people there.

If I think of something else will let you know.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the offer scurry, I'll be there mid April, hopefully we'll run into each other. Thanks Monique for your help. Are there particular streets that are so called hot-spots in San Diego?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Well, it sounds like that question has already been answered. Scurry told you about Newport Ave. in Ocean Beach, Garnet in Pacific Beach, and I mentioned the Gaslamp, which would be primarily 4th and 5th Aves downtown. You've also been given good suggestions by Heavens and Monique for different types of bars throughout the county...I'm not sure what else you're looking for here.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Your right Jocelyn, I have enough information now. Thanks to all those that helped out.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Is Croce's in the Gaslamp fun these days? Years ago, a bunch of us stumbled in and had a great night of music and beer.... Might be up your alley.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 10:24 AM

My recently-turned 21 year-old-daughter made Croce's her first legal nightclub experience. I have never been, but she and her friends often drive down from L.A. for the night just to go. They love it.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 10:25 AM

You are welcome! I actually learned something new here too LOL!
I think I am gonna book for a weekend night at the Westgate. That sounds fun to me Heavens!! Great tip
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Stephen, have fun on your trip and be sure to give us a trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -