Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego, Kauai, Maui in October. Have any input?

Old May 27th, 1998, 05:38 PM
Jim H.

Have reservations for Ventanas Al Mar in Mission Beach San Diego for 4 days and then Poipu Shores Condo in Kauai for 7 days then Sands of Kahana Condo in Maui for 7 days. Anybody been at any of these places that could give us some ideas of what it was like. Our accommodations are all 3 bedroom oceanfront .

Old May 27th, 1998, 06:54 PM
Bart

Jim, I'm not familiar with the San Diego site but am very familiar with both Kauai and Maui. I like the 2 portions of the islands that you have selected. You will need a car in both places a sthere is so much to see. Make sure you go to Waimea Canyon, Princeville, Zodiac on the Napali coast, Restaurants in Kauai- The Pacific Cafe, Roy's, The Beach House,
On Maui, go to Haleakala, La Perousse Bay, Lahaina, Hana if you are up to it -it's an all day trip and tough on the driver. There are lot's of good restaurants on Maui - Roy's (in Kahana), Mama's Fish House, Hailemaile Gen'l Store, Joe's Grill. There is so much to do on Maui, you'll love it.
I haven't stayed in the properties you mentioned but Poipu is the sunny , nice beach side of Kauai. Kahana is between Kaanapali and Kapalua about 5 miles north of Lahaina.Great views of Lanai and sunsets.

Aloha

Old May 28th, 1998, 09:39 PM
Brenda

I'd agree with everything Bart said about both Maui and Kauai. My husband and I go to Kauai an Maui for a month each winter. We live in Alaska and we absoultely love Hawaii. Some complain that it can be a bit touristy, but Kauai still has the old Hawaii feel, although I find the Maui traffic gets worse each year. Nevertheless, we still love the islands. Glad you did not make the mistake of booking on Waikiki. It's a mad house and too many people!!! You will love Kauai. Be sure to go to the North Shore and visit Lumahai beach. Its the one South Pacific was filmed on. It is still pristine and absolutely gorgeous. Don't try to swim though as the current is usually very dangerous.

Lastly, get up early and walk. Hawaii was made for morning walks. Also, a bottle of your favorite wine or champagne on the beach at sunset is as romantic as it gets. Have a great time.

Old May 29th, 1998, 02:40 PM
Jim H.

Bart and Dave, Thanks for your input. We have visited Hawaii before and found it to be as near perfect a vacation as it gets. We have not visited the sights we mentioned above and your information on the ares we are going is very much appreciated.
Having people like you willing to share their experiences help make us feel comfortable about the arrangements we have made. Thanks again.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 05:27 PM
Barry

I live in San Diego and I have to say Mission Beach has quite a few colorful characters. It also has an old-fashioned wooden rollercoaster, although not very big. The boardwalk gets crowded with skateboarders, bicyclists and pedestrians. Try to make it up to La Jolla, Del Mar & Pacific Beach. All are just north of MB. Also go downtown and check out the sights in the Gaslamp Quarter. If you would like more detailed info, e-mail me and I'll do my best.
P.S. I just got my e-mail address so if doesn't work at first give it a day.

Also, I've been to Kauai and stayed in Poipu Beach. Absolutely beautiful. I've never seen landscapes as lush. Parts of Jurrasic Park were filmed there. Good side of the island to stay on but you will need a car to get to the north side. I recommend a convertable. It's amazing.

Old Jun 6th, 1998, 01:25 PM
AMY

You have to check out the San Diego Zoo--it's really impressive(and i'm not the "let's go to the zoo"type of person generally speaking!). La Jolla is also a neat area to see. We spent 5 days there at the La Valencia Hotel and had a fabulous time. Mexico is also a very do-able daytrip if you're at all interested in that sort of shopping/dining/bar-hopping excursion.